How can i format my PC's partition without installing any OS on it????

coolvaibh2009

ISP
BSNL
Hello Forum,I am using Win XP Pro Media Center Edition on the primary partition (C Drive) of my Compaq PC. Recently i installed another OS on my another partition (D Drive). So, now i am having multiple OS coice (2 OS) on each reboot.Now, the problem is that i want to remove the other OS (from D Drive). So, how can i do this? I tried to format that partition from Windows Explorer (My Computer) by right clicking on D Drive and choosing "Format" option.But problem arised here, because when i clicked on Format , there was a message saying-------->>>>> " Windows can not fornat this drive. Quit any program or window that may be using this drive and then try formatting again "So, what can i do now? I need to format this drive.Please help me with this issue!!!!!!!Thank you.............

Hello Forum,

I am using Win XP Pro Media Center Edition on the primary partition (C Drive) of my Compaq PC. Recently i installed another OS on my another partition (D Drive). So, now i am having multiple OS coice (2 OS) on each reboot.

Now, the problem is that i want to remove the other OS (from D Drive). So, how can i do this? I tried to format that partition from Windows Explorer (My Computer) by right clicking on D Drive and choosing "Format" option.

But problem arised here, because when i clicked on Format , there was a message saying-------->>>>>

" Windows can not fornat this drive. Quit any program or window that may be using this drive and then try formatting again "

So, what can i do now? I need to format this drive.
Please help me with this issue!!!!!!!

Thank you.............

Boot >Choose windows xp.....> Press F8 and choose boot into safe mode and try again. it should work.
alternatively you can boot into safe mode dos and use command - format d:

ooh formatting d drive with an OS installed on it. could be risky or it may just work fine. you would perhaps also need to edit your boot.ini file to remove the reference to the second OS installed on your machine.

ooh formatting d drive with an OS installed on it. could be risky or it may just work fine. you would perhaps also need to edit your boot.ini file to remove the reference to the second OS installed on your machine.
Referance to the secondary OS can easily be removed using system settings.
If this is not removed it would not affect the system performance but will just show at the boot as a Dual OS option.

Referance to the secondary OS can easily be removed using system settings.
If this is not removed it would not affect the system performance but will just show at the boot as a Dual OS option.

There are many ways.
1) First you log into the OS installed on C drive and try that. It will work

2) You can use a startup disk and login to command prompt and from dos you can use format command and format the drive.

3) Just go and delete all the files in that drive

I formatted D drive by logging on C Drive's OS's Safe Mode. The format was done successfully but now this drive is having a folder named as "Recycler" and it has size of 56-57 MBs. And when i tried to delete it, there was a message stating that " The directory is not empty ". Also, when i reboot, there is still a choice given to me to choose between the Primary OS and the Formatted OS.

Please suggest me a fullproof way to remove all folders or files from this drive and to retrieve all the usable space on it.

Please.

hmm i think the folder you are seeing is created by windows os in all the partitions of the drive.

you can try removing d drive from recycle bin properties.

as for the options at boot time you need to clean up your boot.ini file that can be done through msconfig command that might be available from your primary OS.

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP
How to Use and Edit Boot.ini in Windows XP

Hello friend,

i have done every thing u suggested, i got rid of that Recycler folder but still 56 MBs are consumed of that drive even when there is nothing on that drive. it's written like this when i place my cursor on that drive------

Free Space: 9.71 GB
Total Size: 9.76 GB

How can i retrieve my 56 MBs?

And this is what is written in my Boot.ini file------

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Media Center Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Can you please tell me what can i do to edit or delete from these lines as it don't show Disc(1) option in it!!!!!

just use msconfig utility to get rid of the second option. manual editing might mess up things for you! i dont really see two options in the content you posted and it shows 0 in timeout. so you should not see any option at start~!

just use msconfig utility to get rid of the second option. manual editing might mess up things for you!

i dont really see two options in the content you posted and it shows 0 in timeout. so you should not see any option at start~!

----------

just use msconfig utility to get rid of the second option. manual editing might mess up things for you!

i dont really see two options in the content you posted and it shows 0 in timeout. so you should not see any option at start~!

Yeah tht's true that these lines don't have any option for 2nd OS choice but still i am getting this option at each bootup!!!!!

What can i do now? Also i am not able to retrieve my 56 MBs from tht drive!!!!!

Yeah tht's true that these lines don't have any option for 2nd OS choice but still i am getting this option at each bootup!!!!!

What can i do now? Also i am not able to retrieve my 56 MBs from tht drive!!!!!

there is a very simple way of doing it. when you are in you OS go your computer properties by right clicking on my computer. then go to advanced and then to startup and recovery (settings). yo would see system startup under default iperating system just turn off time to display list of operating system and that should solve your first problem.

for second: open any folder go to tools --> folder options --> view --> and remove hide extensions for known files types and select show hidden files and folders.

i think this should solve ur problems. 😀