How are you guys planning on using your Hayai connections?

• Thread starter Thread starter baxilone
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 81
  • Views Views 20,908
Status
Not open for further replies.
well i have this fairly fast internet and i can say my life has pretty much improved..i mean less time waiting for pages to load= more time with girlfriendsless time waiting for youtube videos for buffering= more time actually learning playing guitar watching videosless time for movie download = less time spent wasting while waiting for movie to download 😀 less time waiting for downloads to complete= more time reading for exams and other stuff 😀 (i mean being able to download entire "khan academy" videos from pirate bay in one night...3GB videos..one of the few :LEGAL: torrents in TPB 😛 )

i would be hosting servers( counter strike ), downloading stuff( legal stuff 😛) and watch a few videos here and there..Actually speaking, more speed will probably provoke ur fantasies for maybe 1 month, after which u will run out of things to do and use it judiciously. Any1 know a website better than youtube? With 720p wids? (i got a 2mbit connection and not knowing what to do with it is driving me nuts!)

i would be hosting servers( counter strike )
you wont be allowed to Host Game Servers on a Residential Connection. Should Directly Buy an Leased line.

Could you elaborate?

A lot of things like FON and "free" (more freely available than free as in beer) Internet would be nice to haves - following on from my previous comments about Finland, it would be nice to just have access to Internet almost everywhere like they have, as well as good Internet for students and things like that. There's also this really cool touchscreen wall that automatically showed photos tagged with "Helsinki" downloaded from Flickr.

Although, having not been to Finland for a few years now, there is probably a myriad of new things that I don't even know about/haven't even thought of - but with a suitable platform, it becomes possible for people with imagination to build really cool things. And that's what I want.

Yes, I used to use Mysites some time back as well, and I guess Dropbox hadn't caught on at the time. How are they doing these days? I guess the whole cloud computing thing is where its at now, what with so many services catching on in the last few years.

I'm not 100% sure how they're doing. I know the founder quite well but it's been a while since I have spoken to him in great detail about Mysites. I think the team still does stuff with it but he himself has stepped away a bit. I don't use the service much myself anymore, either.

There's also this really cool touchscreen wall that automatically showed photos tagged with "Helsinki" downloaded from Flickr.

Although, having not been to Finland for a few years now, there is probably a myriad of new things that I don't even know about/haven't even thought of - but with a suitable platform, it becomes possible for people with imagination to build really cool things. And that's what I want.

That's a cool idea, the touchscreen. And I agree, most of us will have to be in the Hayai environment for some time before we start to imagine possibilities. I guess its a little unfair to expect too many people to already have great ideas, as most of us haven't experienced anything like this before 🙂

well i have this fairly fast internet and i can say my life has pretty much improved..i mean

less time waiting for pages to load= more time with girlfriends
less time waiting for youtube videos for buffering= more time actually learning playing guitar watching videos
less time for movie download = less time spent wasting while waiting for movie to download 😀
less time waiting for downloads to complete= more time reading for exams and other stuff 😀
(i mean being able to download entire "khan academy" videos from pirate bay in one night...3GB videos..one of the few :LEGAL: torrents in TPB 😛 )

+1 on all of those things. Whether the torrent is legal or not, surely it would be nice to spend less time downloading it than watching it. I mean, who wants to wait for between 2 & 5 hours for a 45 minute show (say 350MB) to download?
i would be hosting servers( counter strike ), downloading stuff( legal stuff 😛) and watch a few videos here and there..
Actually speaking, more speed will probably provoke ur fantasies for maybe 1 month, after which u will run out of things to do and use it judiciously.
Any1 know a website better than youtube? With 720p wids? (i got a 2mbit connection and not knowing what to do with it is driving me nuts!)

Vimeo. Miro. Blip.tv. And so on. Depends what you want to watch, I guess.

video websites better than youtube - Google Search
Top 5 Video Sharing sites which are better than YouTube
12 Video Sites That Are Better Than YouTube

I just realized that https://broadband.forum/web-services/72444-bitcasa-infinite-storage-your-desktop/ would be perfect for use with Hayai.

I can buy an affordable SSD and start living in the cloud. 😛

That *is* a cool idea.

That's a cool idea, the touchscreen. And I agree, most of us will have to be in the Hayai environment for some time before we start to imagine possibilities. I guess its a little unfair to expect too many people to already have great ideas, as most of us haven't experienced anything like this before 🙂

I think the other way around. How many people are out there RIGHT NOW thinking "if only I had faster Internet, I could do..."??

I just realized that Bitcasa - Infinite Storage on Your Desktop would be perfect for use with Hayai.

I can buy an affordable SSD and start living in the cloud.

That *is* a cool idea.

+1.

I was just checking out the Bitcasa link in your signature, operamaniac. Looks super, but I can't understand how they can offer unlimited storage for free....actually, I think I need to read up on cloud storage to understand this. Of course, caveat being that they make you promote the service on fb and other places, before you're given the space, but still. What's in it for them if they're giving it free?

Also, are there any other services like this?

I think the other way around. How many people are out there RIGHT NOW thinking "if only I had faster Internet, I could do..."??

Exactly the thought that made me start this thread. I'm sure there are many who'll springboard off this.

i got a 2mbit connection and not knowing what to do with it is driving me nuts!

...what will happen when you get 20+? 😀

Bitcasa is not free. The beta would be free. They would have a free version with limited storage. They plan to charge 10 USD per month for unlimited storage. The concept is pretty similar to Dropbox. But since very few people have access to their platform, I am not sure how it works. The idea is that most people have a lot of similar data. Movies, music, system files, program files... etc etc. A very small percentage of your computer's hard drive is going to have unique data (personal photos, videos, documents). Think of it. How much data on your computer is data that would be unique to you? I am probably an exception because I have around 40GBs of personal photos and around 150GBs of raw video from my camcorder. 😛 So, basically, for majority of people, the data exclusive to individuals would be very limited (10/20GBs?). I bet that most people do not have unique data that would be more than a GB or two. With de-duplication in full action, they can afford to give unlimited storage for USD 10. Maybe 100GBs for free? Remains to be seen. The most important question being asked to them about their platform is how they would deliver data security to their users (privacy) when they are offering full encryption while maintaining de-duplication. Something on that line.----if you have used DropBox you would have noticed that your files are uploaded instantly to their servers if they are a common file (installer for a popular app? ubuntu ISO?). this is because they check the file hash with their entire file database and just adds the file from their existing servers to your account. no uploading required. This was pretty awesome the first time I noticed it.

Makes sense in a similar way that we anticipate BT should work on our network - if used correctly, only a small number of users would download the torrent using the International circuits, after which, being in the network it would be very easy (not to mention fast) for other users to obtain as well.

Thanks for the explanation. $10 pm is still darn cheap (if its really unlimited storage). I think Dropbox is currently offering 100 gigs storage for around $20, double the price. The privacy concerns are worrying, but I guess it shouldn't be an issue if you don't use it for really personal stuff.

Dropbox is very expensive with their paid plans. I pay 20 USD to Google for 80GB storage per year. Dropbox charges USD 20 for 100GB per month. Though Dropbox has the convenience factor that google docs does not have. Google is said to be nearing a branding change for google docs. the file manager component would be named Google Drive. I wonder if they would launch desktop apps for file sync. that would make it much more useful.

Bitcasa is not free. The beta would be free. They would have a free version with limited storage. They plan to charge 10 USD per month for unlimited storage.

The concept is pretty similar to Dropbox. But since very few people have access to their platform, I am not sure how it works.

The idea is that most people have a lot of similar data. Movies, music, system files, program files... etc etc.

A very small percentage of your computer's hard drive is going to have unique data (personal photos, videos, documents). Think of it. How much data on your computer is data that would be unique to you? I am probably an exception because I have around 40GBs of personal photos and around 150GBs of raw video from my camcorder. 😛

So, basically, for majority of people, the data exclusive to individuals would be very limited (10/20GBs?). I bet that most people do not have unique data that would be more than a GB or two.

With de-duplication in full action, they can afford to give unlimited storage for USD 10. Maybe 100GBs for free? Remains to be seen.

The most important question being asked to them about their platform is how they would deliver data security to their users (privacy) when they are offering full encryption while maintaining de-duplication. Something on that line.

----

if you have used DropBox you would have noticed that your files are uploaded instantly to their servers if they are a common file (installer for a popular app? ubuntu ISO?).

this is because they check the file hash with their entire file database and just adds the file from their existing servers to your account. no uploading required.

This was pretty awesome the first time I noticed it.
looks like i'm also one of the exceptions (around 1TB of unique data 😛 )

once i get the Hayai Speed, i'll start sleeping on time(currently i get double speed at night), might go into cloud storage, download a lot in the first month, will be able to get more productive, etc!!! 😀 😛

1TB of unique data! that is mightly impressive. i know people with 200-500GB photos but they are pro photographers. your data must be largely video related i bet. 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.