How are you guys getting 20+ KBps on torrents?

trivisingh

[OP]
Jun 25, 2005
Hi,Usually when I download huge files my average download speed at the end of the download is usually around 14-15 KBps. How are some of you getting over 20 KBps then? I have capped my upload at 25 KBps, even tried setting it to unlimited once but it doesn't help. I am using bit comet, should I be using any other client? Also do I need to do any port forwarding or something? I dont think I need to since the speed does go up to 24 KBps at times but the average at the end of the download is less. If anybody knows how I can increase my speed please let me know...Bye, thanks

akash

Regulars
Regulars
Jul 18, 2005
ow much do u d/l in a nightif u go above 600MB then ur speed is above 20The catch is to d/l healthy torrents to get good speedsn it also depends on seeders n there upload speed

trivisingh

[OP]
Jun 25, 2005
I will be lucky to make 600 MB on torrents in a night, its usually in the 400 - 500 range. Also the torrents I download seem to have a decent amount of seeders / leechers. I guess anything over 10 connections should give a good speed. anyway i will try my hand at some other clients and see how they perform.

trivisingh

[OP]
Jun 25, 2005
Originally posted by akash@Aug 23 2005, 01:46 PM
try bitlord
i use it n get 700-750MB a night
[snapback]22826[/snapback]
[/quote]

will try it out and see what speed I get, btw what do set the upload limit at? they say that the download speed is proportional to the upload speed, that means I have to set it as high as possible, this true?

muttster`

Regulars
Regulars
Mar 25, 2005
cap the upload to around 70-75% of the max..i would cap it at 20-21kBps..you need some of the upload to sustain a high download....

akash

Regulars
Regulars
Jul 18, 2005
i keep my u/l to 20 (max speed at http is 27 -28)If there r too many leechers i set it to 24i alwayz d/l 2 torrents at a time

chicmagnet

Regulars
Regulars
Jul 29, 2005
hmm after forwarding my ports i have been able to use bit tornado finally.. and it rocks.. always hass... soo much better then bit comet..for some reason i never got decent speeds on bit comet .. i mean.. if it was 2 gb torrent it took me 10 days to download.. :( .. was a very healty torrent..and i downloaded another 2 gb not so healthy.. just 3 seeds and 7 peers!! but i completed 2 gb in 4 days!!!! though on the 4th i had to download only 23 mb :p ...i dunno ..maybe bit comet doesnt like. me. it never has :( . anyways... love tornado and gonna stick with it..anyways.. sometimes i upload at 20 KB.. sometimes only at 3-8 or 10-13.. depends on the torrent and how much i can download.. will download a couple of educational stuff tonight .. hehe :D

akash

Regulars
Regulars
Jul 18, 2005
i know dudeit took me 12 dayz to complete 5.3 gb iron maiden torrentthis waiting thing sucks :angry: i hope in near future mtnl introduces a all day u/l then i would hav got that thing in 2-3 daysall in all that wait was worth while! :p i hav not done any port fwdtry using bitlord

chicmagnet

Regulars
Regulars
Jul 29, 2005
nah i`ll stick to bit tornado... also use abc for qeuing up downloads.. the thing is that i get very good download speeds with bit tornado man..never with bitcomet and even azureus i ever crossed te 600 mb mark :( .. but with bit tornado i`ve been touching the 750 mb mark almost everyday! so well it works for me.. pretty well.i guess you gotta just keep trying which software works for you :D