Hosting a web server on DSL

• Thread starter Thread starter angad_singh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 42
  • Views Views 20,559

angad_singh

ISP
Airtel
Hi guys. I have joined this forum for getting some help. Im in a critical situation.

Im using Airtel DSL connection (128k plan) from the last 4 days. Im extremely happy with the speed they give. 16 KBps upload and 16 KBps download.

I thought of using the unutilized upload stream for some useful purpose! like hosting a web server, ftp server, and mail server.

Airtel has given me the cheap YOZAN ADSL to Ethernet Router.

The problem is that when I connect to my ip address (which I obtain from What's My IP Address? Networking Tools & More) from any browser, it opens up the DSL Modem's configuration page (Web Distributor II), even when my web server (apache) is running on port 80. Actually the basic theory is that the DSL modem acts as a gateway and my computer is just a LAN device with a LAN ip (192.168.1.2) and the ip of the gateway is set up as 192.168.1.1. The admin of the DSL modem should only open up by connecting to 192.168.1.1 (As in connecting to the gateway inside the LAN). So, my computer's identity to the outside world is resolved through the gateway, whenever I connect or download to/from the internet. So, when I open my ip from my browser (like 203.101.10.116) then it requests the DSL modem which it opens it's own internal firmware based web server (Web Distributor II) instead of opening mine.

I surfed the net a bit to find more about this....
Take a look at :

People there had the same problem with better DSL modem's/routers. They say, that the workaround to the problem would be to disable the Remote Admin feature of the DSL modem, or to setup up port forwarding on port 80. Firstly, when I go to the System>Remote Access page of the stupid Web Distributor II software, it says "Please configure NAT before using this page". Secondly, there is no option of port forwarding in this admin interface.

Please help me if you know what's going on (bcoz im totally confused now!!)??

Last edited by a moderator:
same problems here. i doubt airtel dudes would be able to help... anyone else with a solution?

well i know a dude, who is good at netwrkin stuff, he helped me setup my own local internet sharing without usin the crapy ICS, he maybe able to help ya out, but he doesnt come on yahoo, msn or on forums he comes in the chatroom only and u hav to wait for him, coz most of the time he is busy with one or the other thing.If ur intrested then mail me , i will tell ya how to get in touch with this guy. 🙂

Thanks for the reply.You said you know a person who can help me. Well Man, I would be so so sssoooo thankful to you if you would tell me how to contact him bcoz im in a very big problem.Thanks anyway bro!!

Well guys , problem finally solved.

Must thank the Airtel Customer Service (especially the technical dudes there, they really know everything!!!).

I got a call from Airtel regarding the email query I had sent to care.delhi@airtel-broadband.com. They are very prompt and helpful indeed.

The guy said that the LAN modem by YOZAN which contains the Web Distributor II software is really sh*t....I mean...he really did say that! He advised me to change to the USB based DSL modem for the solution to my problem as in that case my real ip address would be leased to my computer and not the modem (which happens in the LAN modem). I have also confirmed this from a friend of mine who has a USB modem. I also came to know that due to this issue in the LAN modem, I couldn't host a multiplayer game like Quake 3 Arena, or even Counter Strike!!

The only disadvantage of the USB modem over the LAN one is that the USB one can only run on a PC having Windows, as it doesn't come with a Linux or Mac driver. The second thing is that I have to dial in to my modem to start the internet service , as in not dialing a number , but it's sort of a PC to modem link that has to be established. Well, that's no prob on windows xp, as I can very well set auto dial and put the link of the dialup connction in startup, so as to have the same kind of "ALWAYS ON" internet as the LAN modem.

One more thing. The Airtel dude said that they also provided a D-Link router for business users (having any of the 512k plans). It doesn't make any difference to me. 😀 😀 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
Can u change port used by modem itself?? like if admin pages can be done on some port other than 80 😉Also read up ur modems guides there should be port forwarding features . or disabling admin services or chnging their port .

Now, the last reply was a real funny won.Firstly, there are is not Modem Manual for this cheap modem. Even the Airtel peeps don't have one.Secondly, I already mentioned earlier, that this modem doesn't show any setting for port forwarding or for disabling the admin server.Although, i can telnet into 192.168.1.1, but hey, i don't know how to use it.The telnet commands offered by the modem are : consolesource Read a file of commandshelpethernetsystemuserimdebug Directly access the information modeltransports Bearer channels in useipoaip Configure IP routerigmpgs7070pppoapppoerfc1483 Manipulation of RFC1483 transportsbridge Configure layer 2 bridgedhcpclientdhcpserver DHCP server configuration commandsdhcprelaydnsrelaydnsclientnatwebserverport Physical port configuration commandsIf anybody knows how to configure th modem's NAT through telnet or something, please tell the solution!!My problem is solved, but there may still be people like sushub who can't use the USB modem probably because they have Linux as the OS, or some other reason. So, I REQUEST ANYBODY WHO KNOWS THE SOLUTION, PLEASE TELL US!!

Good news. I tried port forwarding in the Yozan DSL modem the following way:

1. telnet to it
$ telnet 192.168.1.1

login and p@$$word "admin"

on the --> prompt
type
---> console enable

now the prompt becomes
192.168.1.1>
at this prompt
try
192.168.1.1> nat inbound add yoon-0 6881/tcp 192.168.1.2

replace yoon-0 with your wan link, 6881 with port # you wanna forward, tcp or udp and 192.168.1.2 with ip of your computer.

You can add any number of port to be forwarded in this manner.

There are delete commands also, but haven't tried them.

To see what you configured:
192.168.1.1> nat inbound list

To save the config try
192.168.1.1> config save

Sometimes, it gives "no such command" for valid commands too. Just do exit and console enable and try again

logout from telnet seesion; i do escape ] and quit.

A manual is also available for ATMOS used in the modem, try the link
http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/downloads/fi..._80_console.pdf

Good luck and if you break anything, I'm not responsible ;-)

Hi all ,

This is to inform everybody that I've found a good & permanent solution to the problem

Port mapping is not the solution, as u can't keep adding ports via telnet as described above.

I know the permanent way of getting your external IP address to be @$$igned to your computer instead of your Ethernet DSL modem, so that all incoming on all ports will reach ur computer's apps. (eg.-http,ftp,pop3, or even game ports,etc.)

If anyone want's to know more, plz contact me via email @ angadsingh007@gmail.com or via msn messenger @ angad_singh@msn.com

This page has become very popular on google (try searching for "airtel broadband webserver" and it'll be the first result!!!!), so I don't want to disclose this info here!!