Home 699 Plan - Speed Difference

bad_till_bones

GraveYard
ISP
Airtel Home 649 - 256kbps
Guys, for the past one week or so, I am noticing a speed difference at daytime. This plan provides 128kbps and should give 16kbps of a file download speed ideally. Which I was getting about 12kbps - 14kbps earlier. But, now a days it easily shoots up to 20kbps. :yahoo::thumbsup:Any of u experiencing the same behavior lately? 😛 Are these some temporary signs or Airtel really trying to do sumthing.... :hysterical:

no yaar, they have improved... like i'm on 999 - @256, i used to get 26 - 28 kbps, now it touches 32 - 34 kbps.... check up speed on speedtest.net choosin as singapore server...

Heh By 'Optimizing' my connection (MTU=1492, RWIN=MTU*88) I was able to jack up my speeds to 55-60KBps from earlier 25-28KBps!!! But at these high speeds the connection kept dropping after every 20min & I had problems when downloading big files. So now I've kept my MTU=1480 and am getting a stable 30-35KBps.

I have getting 18 to 20KB/s on my line as well for the past 3 weeks or so. The night double speed however is still 26KB/s. No complaints though 🙂@ sharkontherock: the MTU can't make such a drastic difference on speeds, especially since your speeds on DSL are governed at the server side. It may help you get a few extra KB/s.

Grrr 128 Kbps plan has night double up256 Kbps does not have any such thing 🙁

m into home 699 plan...i usually get speed between 10-13kbps or lower....this is both during days and night....usually people under this plan avails around 20kbps during night...but thats not the case with me....can anybody tell me whats the problem.....my connection is just 4-5 days old.....plzzz help....

Hello!!!!

The problem that you are experiencing can occur due to two issues -

1. Speed capped from Airtel Servers
2. Line problem (in your home)

1. Speed capped from Airtel Servers - This can only be handled by an Airtel Tech Support, coz it’s the server settings and you can't do anything about it. Dial 121 n ask them to check your Internet's connection settings from there end. Also, mention that you are not getting 256kbps (double speed) during night hours.

2. Line problem (in your home) – To check whether this is the issue or not, open http://192.168.1.1 on your browser, enter login credentials (usually username and password are: admin). In the left panel, select “DSL Status”. After this you will see a table on the right panel. In this table, SNR Margin (dB) Downstream should be above 30 and Attenuation (dB) Upstream should be around 5. If this is not the case, the problem is in your Airtel telephone line. Airtel linemen must have installed filters at your home (3 boxes). Make sure that there is a separate line (coming from the filter) used for phone connection(s) in your house and there is a separate line for Internet that is going directly to your modem (of course coming from filter again) and no where else. U can again call the Airtel people to setup the same.

I think this would resolve the problem. Do let me know the SNR Margin (dB) Downstream and Attenuation (dB) Upstream values that you get.

Lastly, also test the DSL speed, by going to broadband help » Speed Test Select, “Flash 8 plugin based speed test” link and on the next screen select any of the available Bandwidth checking options. Wait for some while and you will get the Download and Upload speed. Also, do tell me the speeds that you get through this test.

getting these gr8 speeds since the last 3-4 months.....i.e abt 1 month after the quake prob.......i guess this is permanent 😀 😀