• Thread starter Thread starter ganeshran
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 2,056

ganeshran

Regular
ISP
Airtel Wired
After 8 months of continuously pestering Airtel, I finally got a 4mpbs connection (Thanks to Airtel_Presence after customer care sat on my request and repeated enquiries, they resolved it within 1 day).When I was in 2mbps my ping used to be in the range of 37-41 milliseconds and torrent downloading in 200-220 KBps. But after migrating to the new plan, my ping is now a very high 300-310 ms but download is in expected range of 350-450 KBps. Though I dont play a lot of online games currently, is this something to be concerned about during normal browsing and download?

Is this while you are downloading? If so, they might be limiting TCP connections. Turn off torrents and re-test.

Is this while you are downloading? If so, they might be limiting TCP connections. Turn off torrents and re-test.

This is the ping that I get after switching off all other downloads. I am not sure if the problem is with the server I am testing against (~200 mi), because Pingtest shows a ping of 100 ms against the Kathmandu server which is 1000 miles away. But previously the same Chennai server used to give a ping of 37-41 ms.

Is such a high ping a cause of concern? Should I report this to Airtel?

PingTest results

It could be Vodafone being shoddy again (they were having problems about a week ago as well). Try against Hughes in Delhi or the ones in Kochi, Sri Lanka or du's server in Dubai - these servers usually give me fairly consistent results compared to Vodafone.

----------

FTR: I too am receiving bad results to Chennai right now. I've had everything from 12 to 40ms depending on the time of day. Chennai's server is a bit known for being flaky sometimes, but right now it seems that ALL of Vodafone's speedtest.net servers are sucking.

It could be Vodafone being shoddy again (they were having problems about a week ago as well). Try against Hughes in Delhi or the ones in Kochi, Sri Lanka or du's server in Dubai - these servers usually give me fairly consistent results compared to Vodafone.

----------

FTR: I too am receiving bad results to Chennai right now. I've had everything from 12 to 40ms depending on the time of day. Chennai's server is a bit known for being flaky sometimes, but right now it seems that ALL of Vodafone's speedtest.net servers are sucking.

Thanks, you are right. The server is the culprit. :worship:

Getting consistent results with the Kochi server and a decent ping too.

Thanks, you are right. The server is the culprit. :worship:

Getting consistent results with the Kochi server and a decent ping too.

ServerSSSSSS - you'll notice that Vodafone's Mumbai and Delhi servers are also being awful right now. I can ping Perth in less time than I can ping Vodafone's Mumbai server, and I live literally just a couple of km from it (whereas I can ping Google almost next door to VF in 2ms). Silly, huh?

Hey ! Same thing was with me too !I thought it was BSNL again(I have bsnl) . But glad you discussed the problem and got it solved .