• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 7,533
Status
Not open for further replies.

hdworld

ISP
MTNL Triband
A high definition STB is at last available in India. Airtel has launched their IPTV service today providing great plans.Their STB has a HDMI port for future use and also has great features like:-> Time shift function-> Auto record program for 7 days-> Interactive featuresMissing feature and disadvantages:-> Records programs for only 7 days-> No PVR function like Tata Sky+-> Time shift available on limited number of channels-> No universal Remote controlWhat can airtel do in the future:-> Provide universal remote control-> Provide external hard drive to record programs-> HD channels -> HD upconversions for SD channels-> Decrease the price

Please provide the website address of Airtel IPTV.

the airtel iptv stb does not have a hdmi port.
have a look at Digital TV from Airtel and see the image in which they show the back of the STB. Item 2 is Reserved interface and everyone knows a HDMI port looks. That is the HDMI port.

mate. i have airtel iptv installed at my place. the hdmi port is not there on the stb.

hdworld, do your research first before asserting things. Admin has already posted these photos like a week back, and there has been discussion about the disappointment of the HDMI port not being there.But clearly, there is a space left for the HDMI port, so here's hoping someday we get there... preferably before I am 60 so that I still have decent enough eyesight to appreciate HD.

i dont have a hdmi enabled tv at my place. but still hoping that airtel offers a cheaper upgrade to new STB if its not free in the first place 😀i am already pretty sure that they would lower the entry price for the IPTV services. not many customers are going to jump in at 4K... i made the jump coz i had no other option. it would suck if they lower it in the future 😛

well the space that has been given for the hdmi port looks like can be possibly be broken or something to get a hdmi port. hope is upgradeable or something. There surely looks like there are chances of getting a hdmi port so the stb seems to just need a software upgrade for hd support if the port can be put or something. Just try to brake the space or something n see if there actually is a port just behind the cover.

it's an empty slot. they removed it for some weird reason. maybe to lower the cost of the stb for the company... it makes no sense to cover the slot with a plastic cover if it is functional inside.of course airtel would launch newer STBs in the future. HD would come to india some day or the other...the thing with airtel is that they might make it easier for me to upgrade compared to typical DTH companies here in india. airtel replace user's modems with new models whenever there is a need. they replaced my 220bx with a utstarcom model when i got the iptv connection for the same reason.

it's an empty slot. they removed it for some weird reason. maybe to lower the cost of the stb for the company...

it makes no sense to cover the slot with a plastic cover if it is functional inside.

of course airtel would launch newer STBs in the future. HD would come to india some day or the other...

the thing with airtel is that they might make it easier for me to upgrade compared to typical DTH companies here in india.

airtel replace user's modems with new models whenever there is a need. they replaced my 220bx with a utstarcom model when i got the iptv connection for the same reason.

Yes HDMI can be very expensive & it's definitely a drive to cust down on cost

Yes HDMI can be very expensive & it's definitely a drive to cust down on cost

very true, it would cost more 2K.

But why is STB so expensive compared to others(including BSNL and MTNL)?

you are not really paying for STB as it does not become your headache.airtel is going to maintain the stb for you till the time you are paying for iptv. so it's not like you need to pay an amc for the set top box. it's practically like the modem on rental. basically you are paying for iptv connectivity in general.

yeap they do not say you are being charged 4k for the stb as dth companies say.airtel iptv just say you pay 4k for installation services.

Status
Not open for further replies.