High Contrast in Videocon DTH

• Thread starter Thread starter vikasmta
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 17,138
Hi All,

Let's settle this issue once and for all.

Even i faced the same problem in my videocon d2h satellite\dvd stb.
I have samsung LCD TV and the picture i was getting was too bright.
any white area in the screen was totally washed out.

I read the experience of vikasmta and ajaisoft and their solution, those solution works.
Just call up videocon support, they will ask to check some settings(remove cable and put it back, do same with the card, adjust brightness and contrast in your TV) just tell them beforehand you have tried everything and it does not work and they will send an engineer along.
the engineer will come and will solder a diode on the board and that's it, done.
takes 5 minutes.
The extra brightness went away immediately, colors were restored and are being rendered perfectly now.
So all well now.

now for some more.

The customer support of videocon d2h is quite good, which i had not expected as my only reason to buy d2h was dvd player with USB and stb in one and their 6 month diamond pack free. that's it, nothing more.

I was not very concerned about picture quality and sound because as long as the transmission is in SD(standard definition), it does not make any diff. whether you have Tata Sky,reliance or any other...mpeg2 and mpeg4..well i doubt that theory also...but that's me.

For me the only diff. to arugue\discuss\cuss about when we move to HD(high definition), then we can compare SD and HD services, so before that all this discussion about any dth service better then the other(picture quality wise) are futile. They all look the same to me.maybe 5% difference but not more.

HD transmission is still faraway and very few channels, i can only recall two sun network tamil channels, which would have limited viewers in a limited area(south..that too TN). Also it does not makes sense to pay extra for these channels as they are available FTA in SD.

IMO The only things to look for are support, free offers and packages.

Few points about videocon d2h as observed by me:

1. picture and sound quality are nice.

2. dvd/usb supports most popular formats which are most common on downloaded content(divx,mpeg,mp3,jpeg etc).

People who want to play more formats should look elsewhere(hd media player from WD,amkette,iomega,Playon!HD which supports all formats,HD,wifi,NAS and what not)

3. user interface is strictly OK, the remote is confusing, button placements are weird, getting used to the remote takes time.

4. active service and games are limited, IMO active services in any dth services are a waste. we don't get time to watch even regular programs, who has the time for active learning,cooking,gaming and what not. it is just a novelty which people check out once in a while but do not base their buying decision on it.

5. s-video and component out are only supported in dvd mode and you get only composite for regular dth. but no HD content available so no issues.

6. movie on demand still in testing so they keep playing same 5 movies on 5 diff. channels.

7. As someone asked about logo, well it comes in right hand, down corner, with videocon written on top and below that the d2h logo, its unobstructive and i guess its transparent too. SEE I don't remember, that means it is not bothering me. 🙂

8. customer support well mannered and worked for me.

that's all folks.

ZeRo© :bowtoyou:

@manishpThanks for your great review.I have some questions for you.1)How much they took to install after you bought the connection?2)How many channels actually coming in Diamond pack(in their website it is written as 160)?3) Is their any grain visible while watching TV? I have BIG TV connection.In 32" lcd ,some times grains are coming in many channels.So try to clarify that.Waiting for your ans.🙂🙂🙂

Great review. My Tata Sky is nearing expiry and I need another DTH operator. If D2H launches in my area, this would be a good option considering I am also looking to upgrade my DVD player to one which has USB support.

@manishp

Thanks for your great review.
I have some questions for you.
1)How much they took to install after you bought the connection?
2)How many channels actually coming in Diamond pack(in their website it is written as 160)?
3) Is their any grain visible while watching TV? I have BIG TV connection.In 32" lcd ,some times grains are coming in many channels.So try to clarify that.

Waiting for your ans.🙂🙂🙂

Thanks rehan200723.

ok, first answer satellite dvd\dth box is for 2690 with 6 months diamond pack included. Installation is 300 hundred extra, which you don't have to pay upfront to the installer instead it get adjusted(deducted) from you account and your account would be valid for 5 months.
So what i did(as the shopkeeper suggested) is to get a recharge coupon of Rs. 300 while buying the box. Once account is activated, recharge your account. so you get 6 months validity.
Now the choice is yours.

2nd Ans. Ya its around 160, never counted, but you get all the main channels and regional ones. Movie on demand is on testing. No FM channels. Some southern channels are not available which i don't care about. I watch ndtv good times,ndtv india,world movies and mgm so i guess its ok. but i am missing ndtv metronation(delhi) which i use to get on my regular cable. sigh..

3rd Ans. Well grains reminds me its lunch time, well food apart, i did not see any noticeable screen distortion on my 32" samsung LCD, but it also depends on the view distance, if you sit less then 4 feet of the display you are bound to see some artifacts and grains but its gets better(to the eyes) once you sit beyond that distance.
One more thing if you are running 16:9 screen ratio change it to 4:3 if you can bear to see the black bars on the sides, though it defeats the purpose of buying wide-screen TV, but as the transmission itself is 4:3 format, artificially stretching it to 16:9 does aggravates the situation. But i believe my TV does quite a nice job in 16:9 so not bothering me.
Also you can try adjusting the contrast and sharpness which might work.

d2h is on mpeg4 just like big tv,sun,airtel so i suggest you visit a shop and see the results yourself.

that's all folks.

Great review manishp.Thanks a lot.You have almost answered all of my questions apart one.How long they took to install it? Is it installed on the same day or there is 2-3 days gap?

Great review manishp.Thanks a lot.You have almost answered all of my questions apart one.How long they took to install it? Is it installed on the same day or there is 2-3 days gap?

thanks..

I think if you buy early in the day you might get it installed same day otherwise next day definitely, i bought it in evening , the installer called next day at 9 am, i got it installed by 3, could have been earlier but the 9 am didn't suit me.

that's all folks.