Hidden Costs Of MTNL Triband

• Thread starter Thread starter dearashwin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 4,687

dearashwin

Regular
Refers to the 590 NUJust at a time when i was really happy with the mtnl connectivity came the billing jhols... 1. the bill can go upto any amount... even 20k2. bill is not just 590... but 590 + 80 = 670 + 10.2% service Tax = 750 + 40% income tax as it enters the taxable expenditure..... therefore 590/month = Rs.1050 for 500mb dl in the day n tension as to what the bill wud be...so wat i thot was to go in for the pacenet 256 mb unltd(mb & hours) for Rs.1200. the prblem is taht connectivity wont be as good as mtnl... so il keep the mtnl but will take the nil monthly rental one where i pay rs.2/mb i dl... so i can use mtnl as when my pacenet goes off(which i know will be often).wat do u think?

looks lik d Doc is rite!

As said in the earlier post - My advice, wait a lil.....if MTNL launches the unlimited plan....nothin like tht...... 😛

Originally posted by dearashwin@Sep 22 2005, 10:03 AM
2. bill is not just 590... but 590 + 80 = 670 + 10.2% service Tax = 750 + 40% income tax as it enters the taxable expenditure..... therefore 590/month = Rs.1050 for 500mb dl in the day n tension as to what the bill wud be...
[snapback]25891[/snapback]
[/quote]

It is not 500 MB download everyday, it is 500 MB you can download in a month cummulative during day time (8 am to 11:59 pm).
It is like 16.66 MB per day = 500 MB per month.

I have the pacenet 256, I have no problem with connectivity or speed. Its just that they will cut your speed by as much as 3/4th if you download more than 1 GB everyday. Mine is cut now for half the day to 64 kbps, while the other half of the day I get the full 256. Actually if I also count simultaneous uploads, I get 272 kbps.MTNL is definitely rotten, I would never consider them until the day they actually have an unlimited scheme for 24 hours. And even if they do come out with such a scheme, I am sure that there will be a definite problem of not getting full speed.So why does the pacenet go off often in your area? any reason?

i used to think that they used to take only 670 n that 10.2% is on the whole billif it is on bb as well as tel than they r looting us

i have still to pay more then 670 bucks.. for the last 2 months man..maybe they are looting you. but not me 😛 😛..@yogi.. isp`s like pacenet/exattnet/sify/hathway are not in every area in mumbai.. if they were mtnl wouldnt have had soo many subscribers .. and considering mtnl never had any downtimes except in sept. .. its a lot better... and hopefuly will be... and you should understand that adsl2 tech is different to your normal isp... and you really want inflated electricity bills? by downloading the whole day? .. atleast i dont want 😛 😛 ... heehhee

its just that with mtnl where every add mb is downloaded... the bill goes outta ur control.... other schemes thru lan like pacenet, sify EXPIRE once uv finished the mb limit.... i thot that was bad.. but now i feel its good as u atleast had control....

pacenet does not expire, they just cut the speed to half. And I have never had disconnections. Its true they are not there in all areas, otherwise no one in their right mind would go for stupid schemes that mtnl comes up with. About electricity bills - I have the same speed as mtnl plus I get more for the rest of the day, while all of you just get for the 12 am - 8 am slot. So what's better?I keep the monitor turned off, and the cpu does not consume more power than the tubelight or fan. So where does the electricity go up ? 🙂

Originally posted by dearashwin@Sep 22 2005, 10:03 AM
750 + 40% income tax as it enters the taxable expenditure..... therefore 590/month = Rs.1050 for 500mb dl in the day n tension as to what the bill wud be...

[snapback]25891[/snapback]
[/quote]

I didn't understand that 40% tax funda. Can some mtnl subscriber please confirm (coolbuddy where are u?). I still have to get my first bill. 🙁 Though I m sure it would be max 750 rs

I suppose Dr.Ash, in his first mail meant that the payment of the bill is from taxed income. Thus, if you earn Rs. 100 and are taxed at 30 % slab rate, then you are left with Rs. 70 to pay the MTNL bill. So effectively, you have to earn Rs. 100 to pay the Rs. 70 bill which also includes a 10.2% service tax. Smile and pay. The silent partner is waiting. If you have business income, then you pay more than 30 % tax, so the ante is upped. Smile and pay. The silent partner is paying. If you are an employee, then your bills which your employer pays, are subject to FBT (fringe benifit tax) of 20 %. So again you lose. But this is already discounted, in your plans, or should be. MTNL is still trying to be best. Remember the bad old days with a 33 kbps modem that failed, the phone lines that failed, etc. We have come a long way in a rather short time. There will be more improvements in the coming four months. Read the DOT and TRAI battles at their websites. I hope my above analysis is right. I hope dearashwin can elaborate. Best wishes.

Originally posted by dearashwin@Sep 27 2005, 07:52 AM
well no.. at the time of audit... or income tax filing... the mtnl bill is also taxed...

It might be the case if you use it for business, or it it is paid for by the employer (in that case it might attract FBT).

If you are a salaried employee and paying for it from your own pocket then you do not have to worry about any tax issue.