Help with wireless router for You Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter manujosephv
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 12,059
ISP
You Broadband
Hi all,
First of all, I am a total newbie in networking matters. As I understand You Broadband comes with a cable connection. I assume they provide a modem also for that.
So if I want to have wireless connection throughout my home, I should get a wireless router right?
I have a one floor apartment of 1200 sqft and would like the connection to be present everywhere. I also have 3 laptops and couple of smartphones at home.
I did some basic research and found this modem at Flipkart.
https://www.flipkart.com/belkin-basic-surf-n300-router/p/itmdffysphy699cy?pid=RTRDFFYGKJAXPUUG&ref=77606f01-87d5-47c5-b2b5-5b7fecf77dbf
I have two questions
1. Is this router enough?
2. And do you plug in the wired connection directly into this router or should it come through the modem they provide?
3. Any other suggestions are most welcome.

manujosephv said:
Hi all,
First of all, I am a total newbie in networking matters. As I understand You Broadband comes with a cable connection. I assume they provide a modem also for that.
So if I want to have wireless connection throughout my home, I should get a wireless router right?
I have a one floor apartment of 1200 sqft and would like the connection to be present everywhere. I also have 3 laptops and couple of smartphones at home.
I did some basic research and found this modem at Flipkart.
https://www.flipkart.com/belkin-basic-surf-n300-router/p/itmdffysphy699cy?pid=RTRDFFYGKJAXPUUG&ref=77606f01-87d5-47c5-b2b5-5b7fecf77dbf
I have two questions
1. Is this router enough?
2. And do you plug in the wired connection directly into this router or should it come through the modem they provide?
3. Any other suggestions are most welcome.
1. Yes, The Router is Enough for 1200sft . I have a crappy 150M Chinese Router and it works for 4500 sft. You might have to fiddle with the Mode although if your reception is quite dull else buy something with 2 External Antenna for better Tx.
2. Both will work , You can Put the Belkin in Bridge (If Supported) else Remove the YOU stock Router and Use yours. You might have to do additional configurations.
3. Whatever you do , please take care to secure your wireless router with at least WPA level encryption.