Help with Troubleshooting BSNL FTTH

ISP
BSNL
Hi everyone! Around 5 months ago I got BSNL BharatFiber and apart from the occasional downtime, it works just fine and I was getting the full speed according to my subscribed plan (200mbps) however since past few days I've been experiencing some weird issues and I need your help to fix it. First of all, I'm not experienced in the field of networking. I'm just an average user frustrated with the service looking to fix the issue so please forgive me for any obvious oversight and lack of technical knowledge.

Now with that said - Here's the actual problem. Previously whenever I used to have Fiber Downtime the "FXS" LED on my Syrotech SY-GPON-1110-WDONT (hardware version v3.6) turned off and Internet IP mentioned in Status > WAN Connection Info of the ONT settings disappeared (however Voice IP was still visible) and the Status changed to "Down" and usually this was resolved on its own however since past few days I'm running into frustrating DNS issues. Whenever I open anything the DNS Probe Fails so in the ONT settings I changed the DNS from Default to Google's 8.8.8.8 and even tried CloudFlare's 1.1.1.1 however I was still having DNS issue. This problem would solve itself within 5-10mins and then stop working after a few mins on its own regardless of which DNS I use. The FXS LED on my ONT is On and the Internet IP is shown in the Status > WAN Connection Info unlike what used to happen previously in downtime.

To get more information I visited EPON Information located in the WAN Connection Info under the Status Tab. There I noticed that Connection Status said "Registered, not authenticated" and scrolling at the bottom of the page it says "Warning: EPON LOSS" meanwhile the PON LED on my ONT is Stable. There's no Red LED on indicating PON LOS nor my PON LED is blinking. It's rock solid lit up all the time. Now, while I don't recall if it used to say that previously when my connection used to work fine but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't say "Registered, not authenticated". Also, the ONT model says "GPON" right there in the name so why is this ONT working in (for lack of a better work), EPON mode? Would this explain why my FTTH works for a while and then stops? Rinse and Repeat. Keep in mind that Internet still works even when Connection Status displays "Registered, not authenticated" but I'm pretty sure that it didn't used to say that when the connection used to work fine and didn't have this DNS issue (though I can't be certain).

To cap it all of - Is there something I can do about it? Somehow changing it from EPON to GPON, or a Firmware update perhaps? If so, can someone please link me to correct firmware for my Syrotech SY-GPON-1110-WDONT (hardware version v3.6)? Or is this an issue on LCO's side and only they can fix it?

Last edited:
"Registered, not authenticated" is fine. I have the same status on the same ONT installed and it works fine. If you're getting EPON LOSS, I guess the optical power is going beyond recommended threshold. Post the screenshot of 'EPON Information' here.

Here's the screenshot of the EPON Information.
Source

Please note that the actual LED lights on my ONT doesn't indicate any PON LOS. Its just in the EPON Information and the internet still works even with this "EPON LOS". It's just it works for a few mins and then stop working for next 5-10min. Repeat.

Your stats looks fine. There's no EPON LOS in the warning (you can see the thin 2nd column with nothing in it).

Keep a continuous ping to say 8.8.8.8 and see if it drops in the middle.

ping 8.8.8.8 -t
ping 192.168.1.1 -t

I pinged 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.1.1 for indefinite period of time and while I would've posted the screenshot, I didn't because its extremely long as it sat there pinging for a few mins. Anyway, here's the result:

I was getting reply from 8.8.8.8 as long as my internet was working. It worked fine for a few mins then the issue popped up and internet stopped working and I started getting "Request Timed out" meanwhile I was constantly getting replies from 192.168.1.1 regardless of the fact if my internet was working or not.

That points to a WAN side issue. Try one more thing. Keep the EPON stats open. When the ping drops, immediately refresh the EPON stats page and check if you see a variation.

In any case you would need to show this to the provider.