Help with SUSE 10

uthfull

Uthfull.org
[OP]
Regulars
Mar 1, 2005
I installed SUSE 10.0 today.

I only two problems with it.
Firstly, since my monitor is old, I always hve issues in Linux. This time, can somebody pls tell me howto change the refresh rate to 0 from 78 @ 800x600.

Secondly, when I go to my computer and right click on any partition other than the one on which SUSE is installed n click on Mount, the following error is displayed (check out the snapshot).

http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot19zf.jpg

I got 4 partitions...
/dev/hda1
/dev/hda5
/dev/hda6
/dev/hda7

/dev/hda5 is the one on which SUSE is installed. /dev/hda1 is NTFS and /dev/hda6 & 7 are FAT32. I wanna be able to read n write to /dev/hda6 & 7 and is its possible /dev/hda1 also.

Help me, what should I do??

BTW... i followed Sushubhs advise, he had said in an earlier thread that I should wait for SUSE rather than ubuntu or kubuntu. n seriously, he was absolutely rite. SUSE rocks!!

popcorn

Apr 10, 2005
Mumbai
suse rocks.... but as always i find any linux distros slower than windows...and also in windows i find windows 2000 sp4 to be a faster then windows xp with sp2.ubuntu is very complicated and suse is quite simple. but its huge and heavy and slower.the day when M$ makes impossible to install without valid license that day linux distros will shine!

uthfull

Uthfull.org
[OP]
Regulars
Mar 1, 2005
yup win2k with sp4 is faster than winxp with sp2.but "as always" i find linux distros a bit more interesting and challenging. i'm seriously bored of windows :p . I don't hate MS or Windows... I do love what MS makes, but i'm quite bored with theis s/w now... n i need a change.Neways.... whose gonna solve my problem bout mounting??

uthfull

Uthfull.org
[OP]
Regulars
Mar 1, 2005
sifyfan... clcik on the thumbnail... it will open a new page with the full image.neways the error is:mount cant fnd /dev/hda6 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtabPlease check that the disk is entered correctly.

popcorn

Apr 10, 2005
Mumbai
did u add these entry manually or was it default error ?that thumbnail is not having any link :( using IE6bcz it may be an error of path .. giving read write access etc.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
try running this command at terminal... mount -t /dev/hda6 /etc/mntif it works, you need to add some manual entries in the fstab file.

uthfull

Uthfull.org
[OP]
Regulars
Mar 1, 2005
@Sushubh
I ran the command n it gave me a whole lot of BS
Usage: mount -V              : print version
    mount -h              : print this help
    mount                    : list mounted filesystems
    mount -l              : idem, including volume labels
So far the informational part. Next the mounting.
The command is `mount [-t fstype] something somewhere'.
Details found in /etc/fstab may be omitted.
    mount -a [-t|-O] ...  : mount all stuff from /etc/fstab
    mount device          : mount device at the known place
    mount directory          : mount known device here
    mount -t type dev dir    : ordinary mount command
Note that one does not really mount a device, one mounts
a filesystem (of the given type) found on the device.
One can also mount an already visible directory tree elsewhere:
    mount --bind olddir newdir
or move a subtree:
    mount --move olddir newdir
A device can be given by name, say /dev/hda1 or /dev/cdrom,
or by label, using  -L label  or by uuid, using  -U uuid .
Other options: [-nfFrsvw] [-o options] [-p passwdfd].
For many more details, say  man 8 mount .[/b]
Now when i click on the My Computer icon on the desktop, I don't see the other partitions. It just shows hda5 on which SUSE is installed

@sifyfan
here is the direct link to the image
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8256/snapshot19zf.jpg

popcorn

Apr 10, 2005
Mumbai
did u try as a root? or as user?try open a consolebecome root (e.g. with "su")make an empty folder to use (e.g. "mkdir /mnt/windows")mount the disk, as an ntfs partition, with read-only access to all users (e.g. "mount -t ntfs -o umask=0222 /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows")browse the /mnt/windows foldernormally its under /mnt or/mediaand it uses the same drive letter eg:/mnt/windows/C/mnt/windows/D etc etc.