Help with Reliance Thunder Broadnet connection.

• Thread starter Thread starter Kunal Roy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 54
  • Views Views 10,417
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunal Roy

ISP
Reliance
Greetings all.This is my first post on the site.Now the thing is, I'm currently a craptel user on a 799 "unlimited plan" which gives me 7GB of high speed usage and 256kb/s post limit.Now I've been looking at the Thunder 699 plan for a while now and thinking of making the necessary transition.I've found out everything I need to (there's a port available in my area). I have a few questions and I'm hoping the community here can clear them up for me 🙂1. I already have a modem + WiFi router (D-Link 2730u). Could I not use the modem that reliance provides and use mine instead? Also, will my WiFi be easily configured (since my mum uses her lappy for work and I have my phone connected to it all the time)?2. I live in a co-operative housing society (6th floor) and as you can figure, cables need to be concealed at all times, which was a real pain when I was having my Airtel connection set up. The Local electrician had to route the cable all the way from inside the building. My building has a universal box on all floors installed, which means it houses ports for both Reliance and Airtel (my cable is connected to the Airtel port). Now my question is, instead of having a new cable installed, Can I just use the same cable and connect it to the Reliance port instead (I spoke to a guy at Reliance and he said that would be possible, but I just wanted to confirm with you guys).Sorry for all the nOOb questions and any help would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

Greetings all.

This is my first post on the site.

Now the thing is, I'm currently a craptel user on a 799 "unlimited plan" which gives me 7GB of high speed usage and 256kp/s post limit.

Now I've been looking at the Thunder 699 plan for a while now and thinking of making the necessary transition.

I've found out everything I need to (there's a port available in my area). I have a few questions and I'm hoping the community here can clear them up for me 🙂

1. I already have a modem + WiFi router (D-Link 2730u). Could I not use the modem that reliance provides and use mine instead? Also, will my WiFi be easily configured (since my mum uses her lappy for work and I have my phone connected to it all the time)?

2. I live in a co-operative housing society (6th floor) and as you can figure, cables need to be concealed at all times, which was a real pain when I was having my Airtel connection set up. The Local electrician had to route the cable all the way from inside the building. My building has a universal box on all floors installed, which means it houses ports for both Reliance and Airtel (my cable is connected to the Airtel port). Now my question is, instead of having a new cable installed, Can I just use the same cable and connect it to the Reliance port instead (I spoke to a guy at Reliance and he said that would be possible, but I just wanted to confirm with you guys).

Sorry for all the nOOb questions and any help would be greatly appreciated. 🙂
1)adsl might not work ....u will need any good N router ( basic) which cost u not more then 1050 on flipkart.com . reliance will give u non wifi modem for free ( installation 599+ plan charges and always pay with cheque)
2) if u want to install reliance cable u can later . just ask your local electrician and local reliance insallation guy. they will guide u better advice .....we cant help u in this ... ( after watching your building and all other thing )

1)adsl might not work ....u will need any good N router ( basic) which cost u not more then 1050 on flipkart.com . they will give u non wifi modem for free ( installation 599+ plan charges and always pay with cheque)
2) if u want to install reliance cable u can later . just ask your local electrician and local reliance insallation guy. they will guide u better advice .....we cant help u in this ... ( after watching your building and all other thing )

But I thought the connection is ADSL? As far as I know,the D-Link 2730U is an N router. This is it - D-Link DSL-2730U Wireless N 150 ADSL2+ 4-Port Router | Router | Flipkart.com

Thank you for the reply 🙂

2. I live in a co-operative housing society (6th floor) and as you can figure, cables need to be concealed at all times, which was a real pain when I was having my Airtel connection set up. The Local electrician had to route the cable all the way from inside the building. My building has a universal box on all floors installed, which means it houses ports for both Reliance and Airtel (my cable is connected to the Airtel port). Now my question is, instead of having a new cable installed, Can I just use the same cable and connect it to the Reliance port instead (I spoke to a guy at Reliance and he said that would be possible, but I just wanted to confirm with you guys).
When i took Airtel i made the technician to install the connections in 2 places. One at Living room(Landline only) and another at my bed room(LL+Internet). The wire inside a PVC pipe went around(all over) my house coz i specifically told them it should not run in the front of the house.
When i took Reliance i just asked them to connect their wire to the Airtel box kept inside my house and till now it works well with no issues.

When i took Airtel i made the technician to install the connections in 2 places. One at Living room(Landline only) and another at my bed room(LL+Internet). The wire inside a PVC pipe went around(all over) my house coz i specifically told them it should not run in the front of the house.
When i took Reliance i just asked them to connect their wire to the Airtel box kept inside my house and till now it works well with no issues.

Well, that gives me some peace of mind 🙂

So that means I can just have the guys disconnect the cable from the Airtel port and connect the same cable to the Reliance port?

Oh and another thing, I still have my Airtel connection active and I'll only have it disconnected after the Reliance is set up. That won't cause any problems, right?

Well, that gives me some peace of mind 🙂

So that means I can just have the guys disconnect the cable from the Airtel port and connect the same cable to the Reliance port?

Oh and another thing, I still have my Airtel connection active and I'll only have it disconnected after the Reliance is set up. That won't cause any problems, right?
Only one connection works in the same line.

Only one connection works in the same line.
I meant If I take the Airtel cable and connect it to the Reliance port.

It'll work on the same cable if the guy just changes ports, right?

And thank you everyone, for all the help so far 🙂

^ Yeah I know. Just keeping the Airtel to be on the safe side and I'll have it disconnected after the Reliance is all set up.And the Reliance can be configured on a WiFi router without hassle, right?Thanks 🙂

I meant If I take the Airtel cable and connect it to the Reliance port.

It'll work on the same cable if the guy just changes ports, right?

And thank you everyone, for all the help so far 🙂

After disconnecting airtel, are you sure that airtel guys wont want there cable back ?

After disconnecting airtel, are you sure that airtel guys wont want there cable back ?

Nah I doubt they will.

Its just a copper cable. Plus its concealed in a casing and would be a real pain to take out.

Status
Not open for further replies.