[Help] UBNT - EdgeRouter-X Thread

ajgamer

Regulars
Hello, I've got the EdgeRouter-X (ER-X-EU). I need some help from the people around here to configure me for the suited settings.

I want to load-balance the traffic for "Fail-Over and Fall-Back".

Explanation of Fail-Over: I have Excitel and Airtel both. Now, I want to use Excitel as main and Airtel as Backup. But the problem with Excitel is that it has packet looses and which normal load-balancers consider that as disconnections and shifts to Airtel.

What I want is to script a way so that it only moves to Airtel when there are at-least 5 fails of Excitel. (Basically 5 pings failed to google.com).

Explanation of Fall-Back: As soon as Excitel comes back online, it should ping-test Excitel for 10 times before it moves back to Excitel from Airtel and leaves Airtel.

Please help me with this regards.

Thanks.

Fail-Over Diagram (1)

Fall-Back Diagram (2)

(Click on Images to see in zoom / bigger)

Please help me with this regards: @Sushubh @achaudhary997 and any other who have experience.

Last edited:

ajgamer

Regulars
@Sushubh Okay. But,

1. But do I have to play with CLI at first or there are any CGI options to do the things I'm asking?

2. How can I do the fall-back?

3. What it does for the 10 sec. before switching to Backup?

ajgamer

Regulars
But it doesn't show any option like "Number of pings" or "number of seconds" or fallback.

Sushubh

Administrator
might be possible with scripting. i am just using this gui. and it is not really what you are expecting. for failover, internet is down for more than a few seconds. and it does not revert back to primary connection instantly when it starts working again. at least for me.

ajgamer

Regulars
it is not really what you are expecting. for failover, internet is down for more than a few seconds. and it does not revert back to primary connection instantly when it starts working again. at least for me.
What do you mean by this? I'm not sure.

Do you mean it checks automatically multiple times before fall-back or do you mean it doesn't fall-back at all itself?

Sushubh

Administrator
if excitel goes down, it takes like 10-15 seconds to switch to airtel.
when excitel comes back online, it does not switch back to airtel instantly as well. i have to manually restart the router to get it back on excitel.

these days considering excitel is generally stable enough, i just keep airtel disabled most of the times. and only turn it on when excitel is having issues.