[HELP] Tired of these ISPs - looking for suggestions

ISP
Hathway
Hello forum peeps!
Been an unregistered lurker for some time. My current ISP is Hathway (I'm from Hyd btw) and the service is pathetic. I'm new to Hyderabad and don't know much about the ISP scene here. As the user th4n0s pointed out in this thread, I fell for their scheme and have been suffering for about two months now. My region: Secunderabad.

Today, I called a technician for internet downtime and he told me this: "yeah, that happens (he was really like ¯\(ツ)/¯); but you know i'm a hardware technician, so idk". The router that they advertise as free of cost is a prime example of crappy hardware. It took me 3, yes, 3 frickin days to know the password for the router login page. Why? The people at customer support didn't, in the first place, know what a router login page is. The first two people who responded told me the default wireless password, which is on the bottom sticker already. Fortunately(!), one responded properly at last and told me some h4x0r-like password and it worked, thankfully. Now, the first thing I did was change the router password. Lo and behold, the router went ded. Just like that, ded. I can no longer sign in, even with their password, and I can't change the SSID or wireless passwd. Ok, I reset the router and now it works, but lesson learned: don't mess up with this crappy router. All the 3 days of waiting went in vain. Nice. Now, I'm stuck with this bad router, can't download >20GB per day (and honestly, some days even less than 20), can't change the ISP cause I stupidly subscribed for three months.

Earlier, my ISP was Excitel and it was surprisingly good. ~600/month, 50Mb/s, no limits at all. It was nice, and they generously offered me some other plan where I can have ~40Mb/s unlimited, but with a static IP with all my ports open! But we shifted to a new house, which is, literally < 150 metres away, just a couple buildings away. And they say service isn't available there. So I had no choice but to switch to some other provider. I'm a heavy internet user, so I can't stand low FUP limits. But looking at the current situation, it seems I barely have any choice.

Now, I need help from you guys about which ISPs are worth trying. My current plan expires by the 2nd of September. When I was in Vijayawada, I had unlimited plans with low speeds, which I can totally tolerate. Like I can tolerate 30 Mb/s with no limits and I'd add a static IP. But I can't see any similar plans here. I heard ACT has a better service, but the prices are high. Also, there's an Airtel plan for about 699: upto 40Mb/s unlimited + calls + Airtel TV + Netflix, Amazon Prime and the likes. Now I don't need the Netflix and Amazon subscriptions, but the upto feels misleading. Please help me pick my next ISP. I don't want to waste money on some crappy ISP again 🙁

Just read about BSNL's new FTTH plans and Excitel's Fiber plans (although not available in Hyd yet). Can y'all please explain about FTTH and how these plans are?

Upvote 0
All BSNL plans come with some kind of data limit. If Airtel offers unlimited data, I'd choose it at any day for such requirement. However, you may want to make sure to talk to an engineer (not just the sales guy) to make sure what kind of installation you'd get. The fiber is available in limited areas. Otherwise, Airtel would use the same old copper wire for last mile connectivity and would use VDSL to provide the desired speed. Either way, if you don't have any other option for unlimited data, I'd choose Airtel irrespective of what technology they offer. Airtel sales guys, like certain other sales guys, would use all tactics to force you to buy a connection by promising what they can't provide. So, please ask them to check feasibility. A service guy or engineer would reach your house. At that time, you may clarify all the technical details. In general, Airtel providers much better customers service than most other private ISPs.

Upvote 0
All BSNL plans come with some kind of data limit. If Airtel offers unlimited data, I'd choose it at any day for such requirement. However, you may want to make sure to talk to an engineer (not just the sales guy) to make sure what kind of installation you'd get. The fiber is available in limited areas. Otherwise, Airtel would use the same old copper wire for last mile connectivity and would use VDSL to provide the desired speed. Either way, if you don't have any other option for unlimited data, I'd choose Airtel irrespective of what technology they offer. Airtel sales guys, like certain other sales guys, would use all tactics to force you to buy a connection by promising what they can't provide. So, please ask them to check feasibility. A service guy or engineer would reach your house. At that time, you may clarify all the technical details. In general, Airtel providers much better customers service than most other private ISPs.
I see. My friend told me he had connectivity issues with Airtel. But I don't know for sure if he was totally sure. Also, does upto 40 Mb/s give me ~40Mb/s most of the time?

Upvote 0
Depends on the feasibility. If your area is feasible for 40mbps, yes, you'd get 39+mbps on most part of the day. Upload speed would be somewhere around 10mbps for 40mbps. If fiber is provided (by any company), the upload speed is equal to download speed or half of download speed. Either way, fiber is the future. Feasibility check is free with Airtel. So, nothing wrong in asking them to check the feasibility. Make sure to ask about maximum possible speed in your area.

Upvote 0
Depends on the feasibility. If your area is feasible for 40mbps, yes, you'd get 39+mbps on most part of the day. Upload speed would be somewhere around 10mbps for 40mbps. If fiber is provided (by any company), the upload speed is equal to download speed or half of download speed. Either way, fiber is the future. Feasibility check is free with Airtel. So, nothing wrong in asking them to check the feasibility. Make sure to ask about maximum possible speed in your area.
Ah thanks. Since there's time still, I'll wait for fibre too. Upload speed is a priority for me too.

Upvote 0