• Thread starter Thread starter tatyasky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,273

tatyasky

I got banned!
ISP
TataPlay & Jio
Hello guys, Tata Sky broadband is completing their Fiber installation in my society in 2 days and I should have the connection by Saturday. However, I have a CCTV camera and would like to see without having to mess around with TailScale or ZeroTier. Is it possible to get a static IPv6 ? How does that work? Can I use my Netgear router to dial a PPPOe connection?

I have managed to get TailScale to work with my current ISP (Net9Online Hathway) but it tanks LAN performance and it is really inconvenient to turn on off VPN on my iPhone. If I forget to turn off VPN by mistake, the battery life hit is huge.

Is it possible to get a static IPv6 ?
Yes. TSBB provide it for free.(they don't provide IPv4 static even for a fee)
How does that work?
Not much different from your usual IPv4 setup.
The devil in play here is: It won't be accessible from Ipv4 devices/services unless you jump over some technical hoops like Tunneling, using services from HE to tunnel over for free(for now) and stuff like that...or you can make your life bit easy using tailscale or zerotier

@AAK
If TailScale is run on 2 Windows based PCs on same LAN, the file transfer speeds of Windows file sharing drops to 200 Mbps compared to 1000 Mbps when TailScale is shut down.

Yes. TSBB provide it for free.(they don't provide IPv4 static even for a fee)

Not much different from your usual IPv4 setup.
The devil in play here is: It won't be accessible from Ipv4 devices/services unless you jump over some technical hoops like Tunneling, using services from HE to tunnel over for free(for now) and stuff like that...or you can make your life bit easy using tailscale or zerotier
I don't have issues as most (if not all) networks I would use to access IPv6 range are already IPv6 compliant. Jio, Airtel, Vodafone and MTNL. ZeroTier or TailScale does not make life easy as the VPN hit on iPhone battery is real. Plus the inconvenience of turning that VPN on/off everytime I have to get access. Plus I would need to buy a Raspberry Pi or ultra low power Linux box to add CCTV IP range for upstream access. I would also need to keep that thing on 24x7 just for CCTV access. Best would be static IPv6 as Hikvision CCTV cameras already support IPv6 and I can access it directly from IP address + username + password.

Last edited:
CCTV NVR/DVR supports P2P or cloud connectivity. You need to register the NVR or DVR online with their services and use the respective android application.

Accessing cctv using manufacturers/third party services won't hamper security ?

Thats still much better than opening ports on the public internet to unpatched NVR/DVRs . Whole network can get compromised with that one device.
Hikvision is still better but you will get a lot of vulnerabilities if you look deeply.

Last edited:
@AAK Yes, cctv manufacturer cloud services surely is a security concern. You should never use p2p services if there were sensitive information involved in your cctv stream.

Standalone CCTV cameras (aka WiFi cameras) are entirely depended on p2p communication, while some provides ONVIF and RTSP, you'll have to use their applications to watch recorded video or pan/tilt cameras.

Tailscale/Zerotier is much better solution.
One disadvantage is that you have to keep one device with zerotier installed , always on to access cctv