Help: ONT on bridge mode: whatsapp calling / facebook messaging not working

• Thread starter Thread starter aeronixil
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 4,227
ISP
Act fibernet
i recently got airtel xstream fiber installed in vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, since i have TP-Link r600 VPN router i asked the backend team to set the ONT in bridge mode.
since then, I'm unable to use whatsapp calling or use facebook messaging, but the biggest problem is that many repositories also seem to be blocked or so, I installed home assistant OS on a raspberry pi4 and connected it to the LAN, but the initial setup never seems to complete, the logs say that internet is not available, probably due to the repository being blocked or inaccessible. whatsapp calls stay on connecting... and facebook messaging says no internet connection on the facebook site.

Check your PPPoE authentication and firewall settings in the router.

directly connect your computer to the bridge and dial pppoe and see if it works.
airtel does not have mac binding so any device should work.

sometimes when ONT is in bridge, some WAN dependent features on ONT keep working on it despite. e.g. firewall, port forwarding etc. This is a problem with my F670L ONT.
So before I put in in bridge, i disable all WAN features on ONT first . Just check if that's ur case in case.

features like Firewall and any port forwarding was turned off. If you keep them enabled then since Bridge mode on airtel routers does not shutoff these features, they take precedence and continue to work on airtel router before reaching your router.

if you keep airtel router as-is w/o bridge I suppose voip works right? Issue is when it's in bridge and you are on your own router.
So just to test what if you just put your router in AP mode wired to airtel router and try voip from that network of your router? Does it work.

Last edited:
is the issue solved after ont replacement? Then all good.
I have zte 670 with bridge enabled on LAN#4. I normally use only airtel ont but to test I hooked my D-Link on bridge #LAN4 and connected my mobile to it and i was able to make WA voip calls.

Last edited:
Yet to enable bridge mode. Should be done today hopefully. It went on the backburner due to the festivities.
But kudos to the support engineer. Poor guy came to my place at 8.45 PM on Tuesday to change the ONT

@rohitks update:
The support engineer got the bridge mode configured from the backend team, and all is well now. VoIP and IPv6 work as expected.

i just noticed this issue, there have been problems with getting ripe atlas working but didn't realize whatsapp calling wasn't working until now because I routed all my devices over a VPN. Turns out, with VPN turned off WhatsApp calling doesn't work.