Help: ONT on bridge mode: whatsapp calling / facebook messaging not working

• Thread starter Thread starter aeronixil
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 4,210
The TURN server should be coming into action for whatsapp calls if the end devices are unable to peer directly. Check if anything is stopping your router egress to port 3478.

not sure if airtel is doing something with it on their side but on my router all outgoing ports are open, even tried putting my router ip address in the bridged ZTE router's "DMZ" but nope, nothing works. For now, I'm just routing all the WhatsApp IPs over VPN.

Tbh, none of the ONT features should interfere while using bridge mode if done correctly. Airtel has messed up. That is the fact of it

agh im very annoyed, i've been trying to get wireguard working for an hour now. turns out Airtel blocks that too! (atleast 51820). routing the wireguard docker container over my openvpn client fixed it. ugh, i need to get back to non-bridge mode.

On my airtel bridge mode wireguard is working well. Something is wrong with your setup. Trying connecting your computer directly to the ONT and debug.

Last edited:
just discovered that i can't traceroute engage.cloudflareclient.com on Airtel, no route error (works fine on tripleplay). had put off getting the router replaced so far.

ok so i called 121 and the rep opened a ticket for turning off the bridge mode, the person assigned to me didn't know what bridge mode is (airtel doesn't train employees?), i reset the ont and internet stopped working, they again put me back in the broken bridge mode after reconnecting the fiber. weird thing is they told me that internet was showing as "up" on their side, i gave them the otp for closing the ticket, will deal with them again later.

not sure what kind of dark magic Airtel is doing with their bridge mode. wireguard doesn't connect, whatsapp calls don't work, ripe atlas shows "firewall issue".

the thing is i did udp port testing using netcat hosted on my server on port 51820 (wireguard), whatever i typed in was being received on the other side. so are they targeting certain packets with encryption??

Last edited:
@JB701 if there is Outbound WAN, ask Airtel for an ONT Replacement, maybe that might resolve the issue?
There can also be issues with packet encapsulation which is causing the Packet to not be pushed forward to LAN. If you can test packet capture on your server that'd be great test too.

Ah, this is inadequate. Since you are able to send packets outbound anyway, this could be an issue with inbound packets being filtered or dropped.
We also know Airtel uses VLAN-tagging on their broadband network, so there is that to consider too.

Today they came and replaced the router with a ZyXEL one. Im getting public IP again (earlier it was cgnat) and whatsapp and stuff works too! Though, I can't detect pppoe servers with my other onts even with sn cloned. Overall I'll take this as a win.

F670 was a nightmare.

I'm trying to get the config file of this router now. The interface only has a reset button

There are 2 sets of debug pins on the board. The first one I tried today and didn't get anything but gibberish. Second one I haven't tried yet (I want to be careful and not melt anything).

got the cfg file by typing in "backup_settings()" in the backup config page. i guess they forgot to remove js code.

Last edited: