Help needed with Smart AX MT800 modem!

• Thread starter Thread starter voodoo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 12,749
hey sharath..... dont worryi bet that the laptop they get also wont be able to connect..... keeping my fingers crossed........but tell me this have u done the driver updates and stuff?

Hello guys, Well I was "told" by the BSNL engineer that they will be getting a laptop to check my connection.I do have the new drivers downloaded ,but havnt installed it as yet cos I am still using my dialup as I have to complete my project by 20th. 🙁

Indeed its a surprise that XP is giving such a problem. Generally 98 gives a problem initially but later takes off well.

sharath, have you tried these numbers correctly? remember its TWO in the 192.168.1.2 for your manual PC IP... dont set it to "obtain IP automatically"... and your GATEWAY IP in the TCPIP setup is 192.168.1.1 note the ONE in the end here and the TWO in the end of the IP for your PC

Did you try "reseting" the modem? then try opening http://192.168.1.1/ ?

Also dont forget subnet mask to be set in your TCPIP as 255.255.255.0.

Hope you dont also have some virus/trojan problem like some others here...

It could just even be a bad or old ethernet cable? Tried a new one?

Hi guys (especially Vishal and ways2gain).I still cant believe that XP is giving me so much of problems , but we still dont know what exactly is the issue so cant blame XP.I did reset the modem and also did follow the BSNL manual for configuration of IP address and yes I have checked it many times for mistakes and I have done a manual config ....Which includes assigning the IP address and the subnet mask.The IP address can be anything starting 192.168.1.x...I am waiting for tmrow .I have also applied a leave to office to make sure I am here when the "greats" arrive.My manager found it very much amusing when I told him the reason for me takin a leave...Anyways I am convinced there is no probs with XP or hardware....So let the "BSNL techiezz" take over. 😛

U dont need to fill the IP number because it will take that on its own. Are u using that IP for internal LAN.

Originally posted by sharath_911@May 15 2005, 10:23 PM
Hi guys (especially Vishal and ways2gain).I still cant believe that XP is giving me so much of problems , but we still dont know what exactly is the issue so cant blame XP.I did reset the modem and also did follow the BSNL manual for configuration of IP address and yes I have checked it many times for mistakes and I have done a manual config ....Which includes assigning the IP address and the subnet mask.The IP address can be anything starting 192.168.1.x...I am waiting for tmrow .I have also applied a leave to office to make sure I am here when the \"greats\" arrive.My manager found it very much amusing when I told him the reason for me takin a leave...Anyways I am convinced there is no probs with XP or hardware....So let the \"BSNL techiezz\"  take over. 😛
[snapback]9409[/snapback]
[/quote]

Why do u need to set the IP address / subnet mask etc. of the TCP/IP for accessing internet. :huh: This is required only to access the modem's config page. If PPPoE dialler (the winXP default or any installed dialler) works properly, your modem should work too without any further config. Also Check the state of the LEDs , which should be as follows -

Power Steady green light indicates the unit is powered on.

ADSL LINK Steady green light indicates a valid ADSL connection.

ADSL ACT Blinking green light indicates there is traffic over ADSL line.

LAN LINK Steady green light and orange light indicates a valid LAN connection. The green light indicates that the speed of data transfer is 10Mbps; the orange light indicates that the speed of data transfer is 100Mbps.

LAN ACT Blinking green light indicates there is traffic over Ethernet.

If the lights are ok, your ethernet card and ADSL link should be ok. The trouble in this case could be in the PPPoE component of your OS.
--------------------------------
As for accessing the modem's config page. here's what u have to do-

Open the Network connections. Right Click the properties of the LAN connection. Click TCP/IP and click properties. Enter the IP address 192.168.1.2 , Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 and defult gateway as 192.168.1.1. Save the settings and close.

Open browser and type http://192.168.1.1 and enter username "admin" and password "admin" or as given in your modem manual and you'd be taken to the modem config page.

Setting this IP has nothing 2 do with your net access and even if u do not set this up, internet access would not be affected if everything else is working fine. This merely puts the computer and the modem in the same LAN and enables users to access the modem's config page in the firmware. To be doubly sure abt the ethernet card, once u set this up, ping 192.168.1.1 from the command prompt and u should get a reply, if ur card is ok.

BSNL assigns IP addresses automatically by DHCP. At this moment mine is 59.93.160.239 . Once u create the dialler, that would be assigned automatically. No manual setup is required.

One more thing - When connecting MT800 to any Ethernet device that is capable of operating at speeds higher than 10Mbps, be sure that the device has auto-negotiation mode enabled for the connecting port.

*** Checking for Proxy Service
If the browser software on the computer you are using is configured to use a proxy server for Internet access, it is necessary to first disable the proxy connection.

In Windows Internet Explorer, you can check if a proxy server is enabled using the following procedures:

1) In the Explorer Window, select and click on ToolsàInternet Options, and enter the Internet Options window.
2) In the Internet Options window, click the Connections tab and click on the LAN Settings button.
3) Verify that the “Use proxy server” option is NOT checked. If it is checked, click in the checked box to deselect the option and click OK.

Hi Hulo , I am not gettin the pop up window to log in first as admin to configure the modem.Second I am not able to ping 192.168.1.1. But my ethernet card is working fine in my friend's comp.I am using the smart 880 modem which has power LED green, ADSL link green, LAN LINk orange, The other two LEDs r not blinking as well.The PPPOE installation which can be done manually through a process in XP is also done.It is also not connecting cos the default gateway is not configured.I want to confirm that the 127.0.0.1 is pinging alright to confirm that the ethernet card as such is working.Also another thing is that the icon that shows up on the system tray to show the activity like data connection speed shows that data being sent but not being received.

sharath, is ANY kind of net access working? dialup? company LAN?check for viruses/trojans if you can...man, this is really strange, got to be some simple problem im sure...is your ethernet cable PLUGGED IN?!?! heheor is it a proper ethernet cable not a 'crossover' cable?

Originally posted by sharath_911@May 16 2005, 12:39 PM
Hi Hulo , I am not gettin the pop up window to log in first as admin to configure the modem.Second I am not able to ping 192.168.1.1. But my ethernet card is working fine in my friend's comp.I am using the smart 880 modem which has power LED green, ADSL link green, LAN LINk orange, The other two LEDs r not blinking as well.The PPPOE installation which can be done manually through a process in XP is also done.It is also not connecting cos the default gateway is not configured.I want to confirm that the 127.0.0.1 is pinging alright to confirm that the ethernet card as such is working.Also another thing is that the icon that shows up on the system tray to show the activity like data connection speed shows that data being sent but not being received.
[snapback]9431[/snapback]
[/quote]

If the LED is green, ADSL link is green & LAN LINK is orange then its ok. Your ADSL connexn is ok and the Ethernet card to modem connexn is also ok. The two ACT LEDs should not be blinking unless there is data transfer. Since u are not logged into the BSNL network, they should remain off. So, I do not see what could be the problem, as everything seems fine. The only reason why you could not ping 192.168.1.1 could be due to - 1. Your TCP/IP is not properly set up or 2. The IP address and subnet mask of the PC is not properly configured. In case of 1, you should reinstall TCP/IP. I hope after all these posts, your PC's IP address and subnet mask is properly set up to 192.168.1.2 or anything else and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and gateway to the modem's IP.

But pinging 127.0.0.1 is not test for the Ethernet card I guess. Every computer, even without Ethernet card would reply to a ping of 127.0.0.1.

It could be also possible that PPPoE is not properly set up or files are damaged. Try to install the drivers they have provided with the modem instead of the default Win XP ones and see if anything changes.

As for the icon on the system tray, in fact there could be upto 2 such icons - one for the modem to ethernet LAN connection and another for the PPPoE dialler, when its connected and authenticated. The one being shown in your case is the one for the modem-PC LAN. This would not matter much for the Broadband connexn but would have a red "x" if the modem to pc LAN is not working.

That's why I always insist on configuring the modem itself from its management interface : 192.168.1.1

Originally posted by sharath_911@May 15 2005, 12:00 AM
... I have tried out all the suggestion you guys have given and still the problem persists.I just unplugged the ethernet card (which is Davicom9102/a but uses realtek chipset) and am using the dial up modem now .I had gone and met the Area manager and told him that if they cannot resolve the issue , They can take their modem backone tuesday next.The manager was still arguing saying that my comp has a problem.In fact I made them change the whole set including the modem.So waiting for Monday and their last try...
[snapback]9342[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sharath, did that work for you finally? I am facing the same problem today.

I have the same hardware ( Huawei SmartAX MT880 modem/router and RealTek Ethernet 8139 Family PCI NIC LAN card on my system under XP without SP1 or SP2. I was successful in connecting to dataone and use the broadband connection for quite some hours on Wednesday. But some fault has cropped up either in the connection or the Server (HelpDesk is unable to identify for the last two days) and I get an error message "Error 678: Unable to connect to the Server".My Account is only 3 days old. I got the same error message before the username and passwaord allotted by BSNL was communicated to me on phone. Before the error message comes up there is an advice saying "opening the port" and it appears as if the system is unable to get the port opened and hence the Erro 678 follows.BSNL is aware of this but I do not know either as to how they overcame the problem, the first time or why they have not been able to resolve the problem for the last two days. There is obviously lack of co-ordination between the DatOne staff and the local BSNL and Exchange staff who look after the Huawei Controllers installed for decentralization and cutting down the long distances with copper wires to the user locations.P. Jayant