help needed urgent!

• Thread starter Thread starter theinsen1
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 2,699

theinsen1

hi folks,there was a mail i recieved,saying abnormal usage registered for 11 continous hours.it told me to change password.but now i did change passwordon the net ,but while accessing the router it is asking me the admin password,which i havent modified,but its not giving me access.so i suppose if i shut down and restart router,it will fail to see the pasword change as it is in auto connect..please tell me what to do??shud i press the reset button on the back?thanks in advancepls reply someone asap.

best...configure ur rtr in Bridge mode & use ur windows dialer 2 logon usig d new password. 4 help on bridged mode refer 2 d pinned articles of cool_buddy or search "Bridge Mode" or "pppoe" on this forum. By d way ur default credentials 4 ur rtr r "admin" & "admin"

Originally posted by baudhayan@Jan 11 2006, 11:38 PM
best...configure ur rtr in Bridge mode & use ur windows dialer 2 logon usig d new password. 4 help on bridged mode refer 2 d pinned articles of cool_buddy or search \"Bridge Mode\" or \"pppoe\" on this forum. By d way ur default credentials 4 ur rtr r \"admin\" & \"admin\"
[snapback]38953[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just to save theinsen1 some searching (and time), here is the link to the post by cyberwiz on how to configure your router to use bridged mode :

https://broadband.forum/Possible_solution...blem-t1730.html

You can also change the account ID and password that the router uses for connection, even if you are not in bridged mode. You have to go your router configuration home page (http://192.168.1.1), and click on Run Wizard. Just keep on clicking next until you come to the screen where you can see an option to change your user name and password. Finally, click OK to exit the wizard, and reboot your router. Now you are connected using the new user id and password.

Note that this is the user name and password that the router uses to connect to your MTNL account. Don't confuse this with your router password, which as baudhayan has already mentioned, is admin, by default.

Bridged mode is a better solution, though, so I would recommend you switch to it.

thanks guys.actually that day wasnt even the start of problems,next day my smps went down 🙁and even getting a new juicy smps it failed to boot..still i have some problems of seeing my processor underclocked,but atleast got my rig up...btw what i did that day i press the reset buttonit got reset to the factory defaults.and i was able to set it back using a config i backed up on my hard disk.thanks for all the help ppl. now going thru that bridged mode,but it has never worked for me earlier..another problem i seem to have since my whole comp failure.the ethernet is connected,and router running fine,but i cant surf,even access the router thru ie.which was happening till i checked yesterday.any idea why is that? currently using usb mode.thanks again

some1 tell me why i should switch to bridge mode? what are its advantages and disadvantages??i use win2000, there is no PPPoE dialer so where can i get it?

They have already been discussed in the pinned topics..

And if u guys have to setup bridge mode on win 95/98/98SE/2000/ME etc u need a PPPoE dialer called RASPPPoE available from

http://www.raspppoe.com/

Here is something I found when using Bridged Mode. No doubt you have load of control on your system but there are security risks added to it too if you are not too careful with your firewall and stuff. After you go Bridged, please visit this URL : http://www.grc.com/default.htm. Check your ports etc. and they will tell you how you fare.

Apparently when you go bridged, the hardware firewall gets disabled and you can be seen on the internet.

I use bridged when I need to demo some stuff but I have my firewall rockin' solid.

Better safe than sorry dudes.

my hardware firewall is turned off even though im not on bridged mode!!! 😛 :lol:

Originally posted by viralbug@Jan 17 2006, 08:16 PM
my hardware firewall is turned off even though im not on bridged mode!!! 😛  :lol:

Same here. I think my firewall was turned off by default when I got my router, because I never changed that setting. Even though I have now switched to bridged mode, I have not switched the hardware firewall on.

I always have my software firewall running, though, which is pretty solid, so I don't think having tthe router firewall turned off is much of a problem.

Originally posted by dowgMac@Jan 17 2006, 07:04 PM
After you go Bridged, please visit this URL : http://www.grc.com/default.htm. Check your ports etc. and they will tell you how you fare.
Thanks for the link, dowgMac. I did the LeakTest, as well as all the ShieldsUp tests on this site, and came out with an all clear result. My software firewall successfully passed all the tests, so I guess that's good news for me 🙂

I am in bridged mode, my hardware firewall is turned off, and I'm using the free version of Kerio Personal Firewall 4.2.2

If anyone else tries these tests please post your results here.

Better install a personal f/w 1st & then start using Bridged mode. With Bridged mode u only need 2 configure ur PC settings 2 open up ports (better than configuring tht sh**t modem, which always asks 4 a reboot 2 apply d recent changes done).theinsen1.....regarding d USB stuff there is sum sorts of problem. Even I used 2 face d same problem currently faced by u when I used USB. When u r unable 2 surf sites....just go 2 command prompt & run d command "nslookup". U will mostly rcv a requested time out from ur MTNL DNS server. u have 2 solutions 2 this problem:-1. Use USB with Bridged mode. (U still face disconnection problems)OR2. Use Ethernet with PPPoE.Best is if u go 4 Ethernet with Bridged mode.

hi folks thanks for the replies..will try tinkering wiht the modem as soon as my system becomes a bit more stable.i have an a7n8x-x mobo wiht amd 2400xp+,but recently i doesnt post and showing it as 1800 xp+ and my windows crashed!! 🙁when reinstalling,it gave apic failure...after few days figured out and disabled apic from bios,now shows as 2400but....it still doesnt post properly when cold boot!!it takes soem time..no power or hdd acctivity..any ideas??another problem is my net..what all do i have to do for net except internet protocol settings...cuz my lan connection stops sometimes..and i have t use usb,but when using usb it dcs when i use the phone.. Any help is greatly appreciated.!!thanks in advance!!

Cool mario_a, I am glad you tested good on it. Nothing better than bitter. Ain't it.The dang router comes as a default open ass. Paranoid that I am, I closed all dang stuff and then had my soft-firewall disabled.Most of us around here are aware of safety and how to handle the incoming requests, but believe me I cam across a situation where this guy had his soft fw on but a doohickey and some guy was controlling his PC soon. Hard fw is a bit tough to break though its a software in there too.I would recommend Kerio - not sure about Norton. Also check if you get stealth option in your software.I hope all of you who are on bridged run a FW and then test on the link.