HELP NEEDED: PS3 connected wirelessly while PC wired.

• Thread starter Thread starter mukul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 2,003

mukul

Regular
ISP
Airtel
I have a PS3 which is connected to a Netgear Wi-Fi router. I have my PC which is connected by wire to a D-Link router. The problem is that that they can't detect each other. Whenever I create a media server on the PC, it is not detected by the PS3. But when the media server is created on a laptop which is also connected wirelessly to the Netgear router, it is detected by the PS3.I guess this is because of the fact that the D-Link router which connects PC to the internet assigns the IP address in the range of 192.168.1.xx but the Netgear wireless router assigns IP in the range of 10.0.0.x.Both the routers are connected to each other. Can anyone be kind enough to please help me out through this? Or tell any alternate solution. Thank You. 🙂

C'mon guys, not even one of you knows how to solve this? :/

Hmmm....Lets see...The Best solution is Laptop..create a hotspot..use a PSK encoded key for 4 MAC addresses i guess..connect Netgear-laptop-ps3-4th equipment(if needed)Can you post some screenshots...??

I wish I could've used the laptop to stream, but its dad's laptop. So it stays with him for most of time. Isn't there any other way through which I could stream from PC?

Uhmm..I think the problem is you are using 2 different routes which are separate Distinctions all by themselves...!!Its like connecting a USB device to a TV-out port...!! :/Still wouldn't mind seeing some screenshots of both routers...just show me the security pages/MAC Address...!!

Here's the image of my D-Link router to which my PC is connected... I'll post the screenshot of Netgear router later...

But as far as I've searched on google, I found out that this is related to the different assigning of the IP addresses by both the routers as both act as DHCP servers... I might be wrong...

Well..joined some pieces..Waiting for the other half...!!Lets see..this is a thing which i haven't tried either...!!

You have unnecessarily created 2 separate networks with 2 DHCP servers. Unless the D-Link device also contains a modem for like ADSL or something (which it appears that it does), you could get rid of it entirely - that n150 would otherwise happily handle everything most consumer devices can throw at it.Since you do *need* both routers, then turn off the DHCP server on one of the routers (Netgear) and adjust the IP address of that router to be in the same IP-range as the other one - so in the Netgear configuration page change the router's IP address to be for example 192.168.1.10 (I think it's under "LAN setup" under advanced), then in the D-link configuration page, under "advanced setup" somewhere, you'll need to change the DCHP pool to assign IP addresses from 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.200 (100 devices in 1 home should be more than sufficient!)With DHCP on the Netgear turned completely off, all you should need to do is reboot the PS3 and it should pick up an IP address in the 192.168.1.xxx range, as should any PC you have connected (assuming they are setup correctly too).

Thank you so much for helping but how can I let the D-Link router assign IP addresses from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.200 and then the Netgear router assigns IP from 192.168.1.201-192.168.1.254 (I think I am not wrong in asking this..? :/ )I wanna do this because I don't wanna change the IP addresses of my PCs connected to D-Link router as they have IP addresses in the range of 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.200.P.S: I dont wanna connect many devices to the Netgear router wirelessly, so a small range of IP addresses is enough. TY

Thank you so much for helping but how can I let the D-Link router assign IP addresses from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.200
and then the Netgear router assigns IP from 192.168.1.201-192.168.1.254 (I think I am not wrong in asking this..? :/ )

I wanna do this because I don't wanna change the IP addresses of my PCs connected to D-Link router as they have IP addresses in the range of 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.200.

P.S: I dont wanna connect many devices to the Netgear router wirelessly, so a small range of IP addresses is enough. TY

First rule of networking is to keep it simple and turn off anything you don't need. Although you can do this (have 1 router assign from 1 block of addresses and another router assign from another block), you shouldn't run two DHCP servers like this - it's unnecessarily and *can* make things difficult to diagnose later on.

As such, TURN OFF DHCP COMPLETELY on the Netgear as it's not necessary - any request for an IP address from your WiFi devices will be automatically forwarded from the Netgear router to the D-Link one and they will be assigned an appropriate IP address.

I've turned off DHCP on the Netgear router realising it wasn't really helping. But you didn't tell me how can I assign those IP address ranges.

I've turned off DHCP on the Netgear router realising it wasn't really helping. But you didn't tell me how can I assign those IP address ranges.

Just had a brainwave, which pretty much renders my last couple of responses useless - ignore them.

In the basic settings, give the Netgear an IP address of 192.168.1.2, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.1.
Have DHCP turned on on the Netgear so that it dishes out IP addresses in some other range (the original setting of 10.0.0.x is sufficient)
In the WiFi settings there is something about allowing access between clients on the network - ensure that this is enabled.
Connect the Netgear Internet port to the D-Link LAN port.
Connect everything to the Netgear only - PCs, Laptops, PS3 and any other WiFi devices.
Check that your PC gets an IP address via DHCP.

Now the network should go like so:

INTERNET
|
D-Link (ADSL - DHCP)
D-Link (LAN port - 192.168.1.1)
|
Netgear (Internet port - 192.168.1.2)
This device in turn routes 10.0.0.x to 192.168.1.x
Netgear (LAN ports/WiFi - 10.0.0.1)
|
PC (10.0.0.2) / PS3 (10.0.0.3) / Laptop (10.0.0.4)

You can manually add the DNS servers (as per your D-link screenshot) to the Netgear as well (basic settings, down the bottom) and that should simplify things completely... 1 device handles all the network traffic, another handles the Internet connection.

I wish I could've connected my PC from which I want to stream to the Netgear router to which my PS3 is connected. But that isn't possible. I've disabled DHCP on the Netgear router and its enabled on the D-Link router. Here are the images of my LAN pages of both the routers. I just want to know the starting and ending IP addresses for the D-Link router as DHCP is disabled in the Netgear one.

As it mentions on the D-Link page it will dole out IP addresses from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254.The Netgear router still needs to be corrected - set it to 192.168.1.10Then instead of using the "Internet" plug on the Netgear, use one of the 4 LAN ports, otherwise it won't work properly. Plugging the cable in to the LAN ports should allow any devices connected (wired or wireless) to access the Internet and the other part of the network (namely, your PC).