• Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 5,013
Status
Not open for further replies.

techtata

Regular
ISP
Tata Indicom
Hi,I am thinking of buying Photon Plus usb modem which is supposed to give a speed of 3.1 mbps as advertised after using the very slow Plug 2 Surf usb modem for over a year now. But I have some doubts that need clarification from.1. Is this Photon Plus modem made to work with both laptop and desktop or laptop only? Is there a difference is performance when used with either of them?2. Will I be able to use it only as a pre-paid service (be recharging whenever I feel like) as I hate monthly billing? 3. The fair usage policy ie monthly download limit on an unlimited 30 day usage is 15 GB, is that right?4. One can buy this modem anywhere and use it anywhere in the country provided it works there, correct?5. Please tell me you experience of average download speed as I have seen members on this very forum mentioning it to be some where between 100-300 kbps.Thanks

from my experience. it has given me speeds ranging between 512-1.8mbps. a lot depend upon network congestion and range. it works fine on all the three platforms... windows, mac and linux. had some trouble getting it to work on snow leopard. so that is a mess. no idea about roaming charges. their website no longer mentions unlimited data transfer packages.

from my experience. it has given me speeds ranging between 512-1.8mbps.
a lot depend upon network congestion and range.
it works fine on all the three platforms... windows, mac and linux.
had some trouble getting it to work on snow leopard. so that is a mess.

no idea about roaming charges.
their website no longer mentions unlimited data transfer packages.

Dear Admin,

Very good reply from you, appreicated.

Speed is what I am looking for, if it is not there then what is the point in investing so much money. Other reason is the flexibility of using it on the move, not stuck in the house with a wireline/cable connection. Thanks, hope some other members will also make some good suggestions.

@admin: didnt know you had tried tata photon+ ! good to hear it works on all platforms since i bought a laptop with discounted photon+ modem so i should get it in a few days 🙂

i do not. wife got the device from her office. that's why i am not sure about the costing of unlimited plans. but i did check it out on all the devices i have at my place. it worked out of the box on her leopard mac. but on snow leopard, we had to extract the installer (present on the device itself) and manually run one of the pkg files. got it working somehow. on ubuntu and windows xp/vista/7 it installed and ran fine. so that was pretty awesome. it does not ship with the details for linux. but ubuntu 9.10 had scripts for three of the indian service providers! reliance, tata photon and tata photon plus. that was good to see. indian open source community had provided settings for these three platforms! that was awesome. 🙂

excellent... i am getting photon+ soon and also going to test reliance netconnect module from office so i can get that as second alternative!!!

Hi,

I am thinking of buying Photon Plus usb modem which is supposed to give a speed of 3.1 mbps as advertised after using the very slow Plug 2 Surf usb modem for over a year now. But I have some doubts that need clarification from.

1. Is this Photon Plus modem made to work with both laptop and desktop or laptop only? Is there a difference is performance when used with either of them?

2. Will I be able to use it only as a pre-paid service (be recharging whenever I feel like) as I hate monthly billing?

3. The fair usage policy ie monthly download limit on an unlimited 30 day usage is 15 GB, is that right?

4. One can buy this modem anywhere and use it anywhere in the country provided it works there, correct?

5. Please tell me you experience of average download speed as I have seen members on this very forum mentioning it to be some where between 100-300 kbps.

Thanks
Hi!

1. It works both in desktop and laptop.
2. You can use the photon+ as both prepaid and postpaid
3. You can use it anywhere where photon+ coverage is available.
4. In proper coverage area the speed can be more than 300kbps.

I just got a Photon Plus to provide backup connectivity for my desktop PC since the wired (MTNL Triband) has gone down due to an MTNL cable fault.This is my first experience with an HSIA modem. Currently the MTNL connection is down though its icon shows as connected in Network Connections. The Photon icon in the network connections is obviously showing as connected too. Once the MTNL line is fixed is defaulting to the MTNL a simple matter of disconnecting the Photon connection or is something more involved. With two network connections icons showing as connected what's the best way to manage which one is actually used?

Status
Not open for further replies.