• Thread starter Thread starter raj2007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 9,042

raj2007

Chennai
ISP
AIRTEL
As a tamilian i never had a chance to learn hindi. I always needed a reason to learn it but now i've found one. Promised my GF that i will learn Hindi and teach her... :grin:ha ha ha. So help me guys in learning the BASICS...Good Morning- Good night -Sleep well -Sweet dreams - Had your breakfast/lunch/dinner? -How was the day? - Thats it for now guys.....

ek gaon mein ek kisaan raghu thatha - LOL (Tamil movie buffs will understand what I am referring to) - No offense RajOn a serious note - My Hindi is ok - But would recommend someone who uses it as his/her primary language or its their mother tongue would be better

@offtopic
i want to ask something too....ar e all south Indian languages more or less same. Like if i learn Tamil can i converse in other three. I have heard kannada and telugu are same, what about the others.

Nopes - That is not true I would say, but a few words are similar , also you would find some words in Hindi being similar (via Sanskrit I guess)

----------

I understand Tamil, but cannot understand Kannada at all, very few words of Telugu... Malayalam would probably be closest ... but still at best can catch a few words here & there... Guess it is just like Marathi/Gujarathi/Sindhi ... a few similarities here & there (again this is MY perception) ... but different languages

Good Morning- Good morning.Good night - Good night.Sleep well - Achche se sojao.Sweet dreams - Sweet dreams.Had your breakfast/lunch/dinner? - Subah ka khana/Dopahar ka khana/Rat ka khana Lunch kha lia?How was the day? - Din kaisa raha?

Good night - subh ratri :cyclops:

Missed it, my father used to say that a long time back.

For breakfast - "Nashta Kar Liya" can be used (It is sometimes also used for Snack or "Evening Tiffin" as we use it down here)

Good Morning- Good morning.

Good night - Good night.

Sleep well - Achche se sojao.

Sweet dreams - Sweet dreams.

Had your breakfast/lunch/dinner? - Subah ka khana/Dopahar ka khana/Rat ka khana Lunch kha lia?

How was the day? - Din kaisa raha?

This just about sums up the state of Indian languages today.

@raj, honestly, these phrases that you mentioned, are hard to listen to in Hindi, even in towns. I don't remember hearing anyone say suprabhat (good morning) or shubh raatri (except Amitabh Bachchan on KBC)

Again, the breakfast / lunch / dinner thing is usually time sensitive - that is you usually ask that around that time. In that case a simple kha liya? (have you eaten) does the job. If however you are doing an end of day summary/ enquiry 😀 you can just use the English words rather than their Hindi siblings. The latter would actually cost confusion. For instance, if you want to tell someone 'go sleep in the bedroom', one doesn't use 'shayan kaksh mein jaake so jao'. Pointless really

I remember a joke in a serial wherein a lyricist is called to write a Tamil song, at the end of reading one aloud , the producer & director say they cannot accept it - as not a single word is either in non-Tamil or non-understandable ..as both are a must for a Tamil song (i.e English/Other languages and/or random mumblings)

For breakfast - "Nashta Kar Liya" can be used (It is sometimes also used for Snack or "Evening Tiffin" as we use it down here)
If someone asks me the same what would be my reply to it?

ek gaon mein ek kisaan raghu thathaek gaon mein ek kisan rehta dhaWhich one is correct? Whats the meaning of it?