HELP me to buy ONT modem for BSNL FTTH

• Thread starter Thread starter doctorhouse
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 40,635
ISP
Airtel Xstream Fiber 100 Mbps (Getting 300Mbps+)
Hello! I am getting FTTH connection by the end of the month on my region. As per the AGM I need to pay 500 rupees security deposit and can get my 777rs FTTH plan.
But the thing is that they don't have modem for FTTH connections for sale or rent. I need to purchase that from the market (preferably online).
So suggest me the best available modem for that. Share the link as well.
I already had BSNL broadband ADSL connection from which I use TP-Link TD-W8968 (wifi ADSL modem). Can it be used as just a router after connection from ONT modem only? Also I have an old D-Link 600M router that used for WiMax connection 4-5 years ago.
Thanks!

@varkey @eriek_halenx i too have the same basic modem, but I'm plagued by issues. The modem just disappears and is not available at 192.168.1.1 and requires multiple reset to connect again. Can you guys share your LAN and other settings if possible? It would be of great help, thanks.

Please share your network configuration.

Anyway I think the problem could be that you have connected the ONT with DHCP enabled to one of the LAN ports of your wireless router. The wireless router also has DHCP enabled. So depending on which DHCP server answers first, you get a different IP address. Both the wireless router and ONT could be on different subnets and if you get an IP address allocated by your wireless router's DHCP server, you wouldn't be able to access the ONT or the internet.

Just a guess, anyway its best you configure the ONT in bridge mode and use your wireless router as the only gateway/router.

Upvote 0
@eriek_halenx Thanks mate. I've copied your LAN config. My LCO came in today and he used AnyDesk to get tech support guys who also used 192.168.1.254 to magically get to the modem UI. Let's see if any disconnections happen in the future. If so, I'll probably dump this POS modem and get something reliable.

Upvote 0
@varkey I've already delegated DHCP to my MiWiFi router which is on 192.168.31.1. My issue was that the Netlink modem would randomly disappear from 192.168.1.1 and would need to be reset multiple time to be available at that IP.

Upvote 0
@whyzee , my ONT ip is set as 192.168.1.254
And router as 192.168.2.1 to create a separate lan. This is not required. Why I've done is my ont sometimes refused to assign dhcp properly. So I've delegated that to my router.

I've faced something similar with my old TP-Link router. If you set ont to default 192.168.1.1, and then connect your router in default settings, router also tries to get the 192.168.1.1 ip. And after sometime it disappears (actually gets some other ip like eg 192.168.1.5). I don't recollect if this was when connecting ont to wan port. I suspect this is the issue you are facing.

Solution would be either a) setting ont to 1.254 ip. b) setting a static ip for router. c) even create a separate network. d)

@varkey might be able to add more. So you could wait a little before replacing any device. I'm attaching two screenshots in case it's helpful. Do let us know if it resolves the issue.

edE4AzF.jpg

82bKA9B.jpg
May I know which Tp link model is above one?

Upvote 0