Help Me, Help Me PlZZZ

• Thread starter Thread starter sayantanch
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,104

sayantanch

Hi...I just received the Pack of Data One from those "Telephone People" & after that I found this forum !I had lots of enquiries and after going through some of the "postings" here, it turned into "QU"...Questions Unlimited !!I applied for 250 Home plan (Currently I am using that VSNL Dial Up Networking (100 Hrs)). Still I have not got username password from BSNL. Now QUs !...1) I have choosed to outrite purchase of Type-1 Modem from BSNL (Rs 1200). Is it a good decision?2) I have not any NIC & probably will buy today. Can anyone advise any specific model and appx price of that ?3) I have 2 USB port. One is permanently engaged because of my "USB Mouse". Another I use for Printer and sometimes for Digital Camera. Now if I install ADSL with USB port, will it be a clever work ? It seems, then I have to frequently interchange those USB Jacks.4) Is it easy to install NIC ? I am not from IT background.4) What will I have to do now... if I manage to install the NIC successfully today. The physical connection seems understandable to me. They gave me 2 CDs. One is User manual CD & other one ishaving a folder named "PPPoE". In which order I will go to install the software ? Is it a easyuser friendly Wizard ? ( I have WIN 98 SE OS)5)They are taking Rs 250 I guess for installation charge. will any technical person from BSNLcome to my premises at any point of time to see and help me the whole installation process ? both Hardware andSoftware? Or I have to do it by myself ?6) If I can manage (hope so !) to install the software properly...then what ? How they used to inform the user name & password and after receiving it, what exactly will I have to do ?7)Can I use my old dial Up system once this "dataone" is running ok? (Obviously by switchingadapter modem etc) i.e will these two system can run parallelly ?These were my primary questions but after joining the forum ....8)Am I going to do a foolish thing by taking Broadband from BSNL ? It seems other providers are(like Airtel etc) giving better service ? It seems, many of you had already some bitter experience.9)Will this ADSL Router from BSNL work with other service providers ?10)I have taken Home 250 Scheme. Will it be viable atall? It has no NU !!! facility. What willI have to do to change plan ? Can I change it right now ?11) Is there any chance that these NU and extra Usage charges problem be sorted out in near future?12)I have to use net 1 hour per day in average (only surfing, sometime with small downloads).Will Home250 plan is OK for that ? if not, Please advise me the best plan. OK yaar...lets bemore flexible .... 1 and half hour usage daily with some more downloads !!! 13)How much they will charge in first month ? Is it 1200 + 250 (Inst. Chr) + 250 (Rental) + Tax?14)Home 250 gives a total of 0.4 GB. Say, It go up to 1 MB at the end of the month. Appx. howmuch extra will I have to pay for that ? (Mone hochhe, dhaker daye monsha bikrir jogar hobe !! )15) I am using Parallel Phone lines with the help of Phone Socket. Will it hamper the speed ?16)Why so frequent changing of user name & password is required ? I am feeling chilled !!!17)What is the "Patch"? I have downloaded it. When & why I have to install it ? and at last ... the last one !!!18) What is the procedure to leave the service ? !!!

I use an ethernet card for my mt800 dsl modem and the serial port for dialup. They work well both with Win xp and with win98. I dont know if you can use both connections simultaneously- i suppose the os would not normally allow this. However you may keep them both wired to the system and use either this or that. Members here did not recommended the usb port. You will have to install a driver for the NIC card, which needs a little knowledge of network configuring in windows.. but that is not difficult. I have the 250 home plan. Works ok for my needs.This scheme works out cheaper than dialup and of course is much faster. However, the preference of scheme varies from person to person as several earlier posts here will show. The bsnl input line has to be connected directly to the splitter input. After that you may be able to use parallel phones on the phone side of the output, but i dont know whether there will be some performance problems there.

go in for a D-Link nic, they are standard and good quality. Your BSNL ADSL modem will work with other providers such as airtel. You shouldn't use that parallel line. Infact you may need to remove it.

Originally posted by max@Nov 11 2005, 12:05 AM
go in for a D-Link nic, they are standard and good quality. Your BSNL ADSL modem will work with other providers such as airtel. You shouldn't use that parallel line. Infact you may need to remove it.
[snapback]31323[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hello ! First of all many thanks to all of U for ur valueable suggestions. Yesterday I have purchased a D-Link Ethernet Card & managed to install it successfully. The instruction manual was so fine that I had no difficulty while installing...both the Card and the driver.
In the 103 page of SmartAX MT882 ADSL Router
User Manual, there is a diagram which is for guiding how to keep parallel line with the system. It shows, the tel line which come out from splitter connected into a Tel Socket for the parallel connection. Can I keep it ?
And the most important qs is , what I should do now. They still have not given the user Id etc. My physical connection is ready now (Tel line to splitter to ADSL and with Adapter given by them etc.) and I have tested by switching On the Modem that Power, Link and the Lan indicator is On steadily. ACT indicator is blinking. Should I proceed for the Driver software Installation now ? Exactly how to proceed (the order)? The CD user manual has 113 pages and with huge amount of diagram instruction etc. It's not possible to go through all over it . Is it needed at all ? Again, Plz let me know the order... say... first to run the setup exe file for installation of ADSL driver for WIN SE OS and then to run the patch file etc.
What to do with that PPPoE file ?
Again, Thanx for UR help.

You have done almost all that is necessary at this stage. In my opinion, you should now wait for the BSNL techies to do their part. Dont rush things now. Those people go by their rules. So if things dont work, it will be difficult to convince them. You may however keep reminding them for what it is worth.

Originally posted by oldtimer@Nov 11 2005, 09:24 AM
You have done almost all that  is necessary at this stage. In my opinion, you should now wait for the BSNL techies to do their part. Dont rush things now. Those people go by their rules. So if things dont work, it will be difficult to convince them. You may however keep reminding them for what it is worth.
[snapback]31366[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks again. I think U R absolutely right. If at this stage, I do anything wrong, then they may have some excuse and some reasons to blame me, too. Its safe to wait and watch. I hope the remaining part will not be so much difficult. (Final configuration and then get into the Broadband World !!
Just one more thing. You said earlier "I use an ethernet card for my mt800 dsl modem and the serial port for dialup. They work well both with Win xp and with win98. I dont know if you can use both connections simultaneously- i suppose the os would not normally allow this. However you may keep them both wired to the system and use either this or that." This is not fully clear to me. I am also using Serial port for dial up (Win98Se) and for broadband will use ethernet card too. If U have no problem using both. Then why it will not be possible for me to use simultaneously by as U mentioned "keeping both wired to the system and use either this or that" ? May be I have some problem understanding it properly.
Nevertheless, I really thankful to all of U. Have a great time...

yeah, i agree with oldtimer. they might be doing some non standard stuff(BSNL specific) so its worthwhile to wait for them...

1. i have a dual boot. i can either boot in winxp or in win98. Both connections work well in either os.2. I have diaup on my serial port and dsl on the ethernet card. 3. I leave them both wired up to the system.4. Now let's say i have booted in win98. I will have two icons - one for dialup and the other for ppoe. If i click dialup, the dialup modem will connect otherwise if i click ppoe, the dsl modem will connect. (I do have to juggle the phone lines around for both modems. However, i think the dialup modem can be placed in the phone output circuit of the splitter without problems, but this has to be checked out).5. If i have already established connection to the internet with ppoe, then windows will not allow the dialup to connect and vice versa.

Originally posted by oldtimer@Nov 11 2005, 07:47 PM
1. i have a dual boot. i can either boot in winxp or in win98. Both connections work well in either os.
2. I have diaup on my serial port and dsl on the ethernet card.
3. I leave them both wired up to the system.
4. Now let's say i have booted in win98. I will have two icons - one for dialup and the other for ppoe. If i click dialup, the dialup modem will connect otherwise if i click ppoe, the dsl modem will connect. (I do have to juggle the phone lines around for both modems. However, i think the dialup modem can be placed in the phone output circuit of the splitter without problems, but this has to be checked out).
5. If i have already established connection  to the internet with ppoe, then windows will not allow the dialup to connect and vice versa.
[snapback]31495[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ya... Now its clear to me. I think its a clever thing to leave both options open. I guess, when one having any difficulty, the other come to rescue !!!