• Thread starter Thread starter alig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 17,033

alig

The NeXt GeneraTion
ISP
Airtel
I have been a user of Linux for about 3 Years now. I was trying to install ubuntu 8.10 a while back but I had problem installing a display driver for my video card. on my old computer. Then I tried to install the new 9.04 Beta release The install is fine with the Alternate CD but, I am not able to get the 96 version NVIDIA driver to work properly. When I install it, and reboot I get a blank log on screen.
Ok so I have finally decided that my system(The old computer) probably is not going to work with the drivers with ubuntu, what other distro should I use, which has good softwares and all the Visual customization and can also support drivers for my Hardware. My hardware Spec's are:

2600+ Athlon XP with 1.5 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU onboard. Motherboard - MSI 6777

Please help me out here.
Thanks!

check with the upcoming final release of ubuntu 9.04.

check ubuntu forums if someone else faced a similar problem and found a resolution.

post your own question on the ubuntu forum and try to get a solution.

i really find it tough to recommend any other distribution because none suits my working style compared to ubuntu based distributions. 🙁

Ubuntu Forums

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Ubuntu Forums - View Single Post - GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU compatibility?

sounds like it should work with minor tweaks.

check with the upcoming final release of ubuntu 9.04.

check ubuntu forums if someone else faced a similar problem and found a resolution.

post your own question on the ubuntu forum and try to get a solution.

i really find it tough to recommend any other distribution because none suits my working style compared to ubuntu based distributions. 🙁

Ubuntu Forums

I did all that Admin already check this out!
[ubuntu] NVIDIA onboard GPU driver - Ubuntu Forums

too bad. do give a try with the final release.i have myself failed to find out of the box support for my nvidia card on my laptop. that's why i keep testing every new version hoping to find the one that works 😀

Have you tried the 17x version driver instead of 9x ? I believe GeForce4 series needs that one...

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Oh nevermind just checked online, 9x is the right version... I guess its worth waiting for either Ubuntu 9.04 release in about 10 days then try Fedora 11 release after about a month... There is also Mandriva 2009.1 coming soon.

Have you tried the 17x version driver instead of 9x ? I believe GeForce4 series needs that one...

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Oh nevermind just checked online, 9x is the right version... I guess its worth waiting for either Ubuntu 9.04 release in about 10 days then try Fedora 11 release after about a month... There is also Mandriva 2009.1 coming soon.

I was thinking opensuse - what do you guys think?

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

I was thinking opensuse - what do you guys think?
Software.openSUSE.org

suse is pretty good. very good looking distribution 🙂

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Screenshots/openSUSE 11.1 - openSUSE

Downloading now. Will Keep you updated on how the experience is. This is the first time I am going to try anything except Ubuntu. Sill I wont miss Ubuntu I have the gamer's edition on my laptop which works great.

i usually do not try out any distro except for ubuntu coz i run it through Wubi... 🙁

Incase anyone is interested here is a video

Last edited by a moderator:
With Ubuntu, i think ur only option is to use 8.04 and Envy to install nvidia-glx-legacy driver (71.xx).

I remember using this old computer with Ubuntu a few yrs ago, I think It must be Hardy. Anywho I had finally dropped the idea I guess the computer is old now:icry:
I just installed 9.04 on my Laptop, cant live without Linux goodness😛

I had tried installing suse also had the same issue with the NVIDIA driver.
had tried Envy also, but doesnt work.
The basic GUI works on the default Xorg driver but Compiz doesnot work because of the failing NVIDIA drivers.
Sorry for replying late . :grin:

Have you tried the manual install of Nvidia driver (I mean the command way)???

I tried a bit but it got quiet a bit complicated and I gave up, I had to edit xOrg.*** file but was not able to. You see I am still learning the command line interface (Terminal Commands) in linux. I am sure its a lot of fun, I was a big fan of MS-DOS lol:ashamed:
PS - Nice Ubuntu blog man. I think I might follow you up on that 😀 BTW I am one of the testers of Ubuntu one:bowtoyou:

No need to edit Xorg file. Simply follow this steps.

1. Download latest Nvidia driver from here.

2. Assume that your download is in Home folder.

3. Open Terminal and enter command "sudo sh NVIDIA* --no-x-check"

4. It will start the installation process. Select "No" for download latest Xorg file from website. After the installation, choose "Yes" for automatic update of Xorg file.

You are done.