Help Choose Modem Type-II or Type-IV?

• Thread starter Thread starter kabira
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 4,981

kabira

ISP
BSNL
Hello I am trying to get a BSNL UL plan but confused between the types of modems available.I want to connect both my laptop (wifi enabled) and desktop(got no wifi card though). Primarily its my laptop though.I was wondering whats the best idea. 1: to go for normal type 1 BSNL modem and get a wi fi routeror2: get a wifi modem from bsnl .Questions1: Which of the above two options make more sense. Which is cheaper and better option?2: are BSNL type-ii and type-iv modems are actually modems and routers as well? (i mean if i get the bsnl wifi modem, can i use wifi on my phone as well?)3: Considering since my desktop doesnt have a wifi card and suppose if i get bsnl wifi modem, can i connect the desktop using cable while use wifi on laptop? Since i am going to submit my form today can anyone tell me which one should i go for type-2 or type-4?Pls help me urgently as i need to submit my form asap.All help would be sincerely appreciated.Thanx to everyone in advance😀

Get the Type 4 from BSNL its a modem with Wi-Fi so all you need is one device for both wireless and wired devices.

Take a type IV on rent. or outright purchase.Cost Rs 1600/=You may get ITI dna A211-I or WA3002-G4If not available opt for rental basis. Type I does not have WIFI.For your Desktop also you can insert a PCI wirless LAN card Netgear or some other make . Available for About Rs 1000/=

You may get ITI dna A211-I or WA3002-G4
If not available opt for rental basis.

Available for About Rs 1000/=

Do we have a choice of device (make/model etc) or we get the device as per availability in our area?

Eg ive heard huwaii devices get pretty overheated after operating continuously for a few hours.(4-5).

Thanx for the help anyway. I will go for Type IV modem as suggested.

Just let me know are type-iv modems are actually modems and routers as well? (i mean if i get the bsnl wifi modem, can i use wifi on my phone as well?)

i mean if i get the bsnl wifi modem, can i use wifi on my phone as well?)

Yes and NO.
YES: for VOIP internet service Phone. ( VONAGE etc )
NO: for cordless, your BSNL phone etc.
Yes : for internet connection to cellphones. ( having internet option/s)

I Submitted my bsnl broadband request on 30th june and got my phone installed in the next 2 working days. But since then its been almost 7-8 days and noone has come for broadband installation.I saty very close to bsnl offcie and almost every house in my vicinity has a connection so i dont think feasibility might be an issue.I am wondering if someone could help me with some helpline number?On the BSNL website faq's i read this, Where can I get help about BSNL Broadband service? You can call 24 hours helpline number: 1600 424 1600 Is this for general information or complete helpline?Also can anyone kindly tell me the helpline number to contact when the service goes down (hoping there is minimal downtime)Thanx in advance

essbebe: u mean 1800-1500?Whats with the BSNL website faq's i read this, Where can I get help about BSNL Broadband service?You can call 24 hours helpline number: 1600 424 1600?Any idea?

ok thanx ppl, the call to customer care helped and got my installation done within 24 hours.

Now i applied for home 750 unlimited and since its BSNL i wanna verify if i am actually using the unlimited plan or they have added me in some limited plan.

I tried using BSNL - Broadband Account Management with my portal id and pass and under my orders it shows null.

Can anyone pls tell me how can i check which plan i am using?

Also another query although not related: Can we find out how mnay devices are using the wifi modem at a given time? Can we kill/stop connection of someone using the wifi moden on his/her phone. (obviously known ppl who know the pass i mean). I know the wifi led blinks when its transmitting data but can we know how many devcies and can we stop them using the modem?

thanx in advance

it may take a while for it to show up in the portal..yes , most modems have that feature which shows connected devices.. although i dont think you can kick them off the network.. but you can prevent them in the first place by securing your wifi network with WEP or WPA ( better) . Or MAC address filtering.