Help Building a New Computer

• Thread starter Thread starter snakenobi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 4,959
Those resolutions for 27" wud be just to attract customers! Else who wud like to buy 27" screens? Otherwise 1080p is pretty much good. I dont find any issues with my display.

About SSD's... Go with RAID setup's if you want SSD speeds with something like 2 TB, or get one of those PCI-e SSD's instead, since money isn't a problem.I will STRONGLY recommend waiting for Ivy Bridge before you buying Sandy Bridge Extreme processors, sure they are fancy and beastly but it's better to wait and see whats new to come than spend Rs. 38,000 and then regret about it.About the RAID thing, remember one thing about computers - your system is only as strong as the weakest part. One bad part and the whole system gets bottlenecked so make sure everything is balanced, if you spend Rs. 38,000 on processor don't cheap out on RAM for example.This is my build for some inspirations:Case: Coolermaster HAF XCPU: Core i7 2600K @ 4.0 Ghz (buy the K series only if you know you want to overclock) cooled by Corsair H80, can't fit a H100 in this case without modding it.RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz (2x4) 8 GB (The fact that my CPU and MB only support till 1333 Mhz is what I realized after buying but.. eh who cares now)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67GPU: Nvidia GTX 580 it's the MSi Lightning one.Storage: 120 GB Intel 320 Series SSD, two 1 TB WD Black Caviar'sPSU: This is where I did my biggest mistake of buying a Corsair HX1000W 80 Plus. I was planning to do a SLi/Crossfire buy went low on money by the time I bought GPU. So .. yeah.Anyway, if you DO buy a extreme edition Sandy Bridge PLEASE get good cooling. A Corsair H80 will be fine but H100 will be great, so make sure you get a case that can fit one or just throw that away and go hard on custom water cooling if you can. My 2600K @ 4.0 Ghz does 55 C at 100% load, the wonders water cooling can do for you.

Those resolutions for 27" wud be just to attract customers! Else who wud like to buy 27" screens? Otherwise 1080p is pretty much good. I dont find any issues with my display.

oh comeon

all developers use 24-27inch monitors,almost all enthusiast use that size as well.

pretty much good 1080p doesn't do it.you don't find as you do not seem to be doing technical stuff or being highly critical

there't no issue with the display,its just like 8megapixel is better than 5megapixrl even though majority of the public doesn't care beyond 5megapixel of clarity.
(jst an example)

use a 27" display for a couple of days and you would find it impossible to work on anything else. i have been on Dell u2711 for more than a year now and i do not think i would switch back to anything smaller. though i would probably not touch a dell display in the future and that means that Apple thunderbolt might be the only way out. i hope i could find a better (and cheaper) display when i decide to replace this one. once it is out of warranty and goes bad, it would be a crappy investment. i have already got it replaced once. and i would not be surprised if i would need to get it replaced again. too many problems with this model.

All enthusiasts use that size, may b coz the idea of hooking a rig to the TV is not that familiar with everyone. And still, having said that, u wud find quite a few ppl doing that!The kind of work u want to do deserves a wide screen like this......if i were u i wud have got one. But its ur call over here!

About SSD's... Go with RAID setup's if you want SSD speeds with something like 2 TB, or get one of those PCI-e SSD's instead, since money isn't a problem.

I will STRONGLY recommend waiting for Ivy Bridge before you buying Sandy Bridge Extreme processors, sure they are fancy and beastly but it's better to wait and see whats new to come than spend Rs. 38,000 and then regret about it.

About the RAID thing, remember one thing about computers - your system is only as strong as the weakest part. One bad part and the whole system gets bottlenecked so make sure everything is balanced, if you spend Rs. 38,000 on processor don't cheap out on RAM for example.

This is my build for some inspirations:
Case: Coolermaster HAF X
CPU: Core i7 2600K @ 4.0 Ghz (buy the K series only if you know you want to overclock) cooled by Corsair H80, can't fit a H100 in this case without modding it.
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz (2x4) 8 GB (The fact that my CPU and MB only support till 1333 Mhz is what I realized after buying but.. eh who cares now)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67
GPU: Nvidia GTX 580 it's the MSi Lightning one.
Storage: 120 GB Intel 320 Series SSD, two 1 TB WD Black Caviar's
PSU: This is where I did my biggest mistake of buying a Corsair HX1000W 80 Plus. I was planning to do a SLi/Crossfire buy went low on money by the time I bought GPU. So .. yeah.

Anyway, if you DO buy a extreme edition Sandy Bridge PLEASE get good cooling. A Corsair H80 will be fine but H100 will be great, so make sure you get a case that can fit one or just throw that away and go hard on custom water cooling if you can. My 2600K @ 4.0 Ghz does 55 C at 100% load, the wonders water cooling can do for you.

ivy bridge is 3 months far away and don't know when it will hit India.it won't offer that big of an upgrade as its concentrating on Die reduction.

The Haswell one's after that will be the one to checkout jst like sandy bridge.

I can go on the waiting game but thats not good in electronics industry as something of the other keeps coming out so you can't keep waiting for something to release

any recommendations where to buy the stuff from?

----------

All enthusiasts use that size, may b coz the idea of hooking a rig to the TV is not that familiar with everyone. And still, having said that, u wud find quite a few ppl doing that!

The kind of work u want to do deserves a wide screen like this......if i were u i wud have got one. But its ur call over here!

if you have seen a 27inch widescreen and sit 1-2feet away from it you won't know thats enough

if you are talking about previewing my stuff after editing,yeah then i would use the tv and i already have that.i will also be buying a new one around 55inch.waiting for CES for some new models

----------

use a 27" display for a couple of days and you would find it impossible to work on anything else.

i have been on Dell u2711 for more than a year now and i do not think i would switch back to anything smaller.

though i would probably not touch a dell display in the future and that means that Apple thunderbolt might be the only way out.

i hope i could find a better (and cheaper) display when i decide to replace this one. once it is out of warranty and goes bad, it would be a crappy investment.

i have already got it replaced once. and i would not be surprised if i would need to get it replaced again. too many problems with this model.

i was also looking at thunderbolt display but it doesn't let you connect anything other than thunderbolt cable

So my PS3 and Computer just wouldn't connect

Well, more than the config he builds, i m interested to know the amount he eventually ends up spending.Coz many times it happens that u decide to spend x amount and u end up spending x + y amount. Happens a lot with me.And this fellow started so high.....so where wud he have ended eventually....