Hello. Am into a serious problem..Need help!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter sagar3339
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 5,051

sagar3339

ISP
dataone
Hello,
I am a Dataone broadband user. I used the SmartAX MT882 modem provided by BSNL on rental basis till now. Recently, I opted for going for IPTV facility. While trying for this, I was told the modem must be changed as it has only one port -- so that one port could be used for internet and other for IPTV. However, later, when they came to know that I use USB connection for internet, there was no issue about this. The problem arose when the wiring situation set in. My system is in my room and the TV and telephone is in the living room.

In order to solve this, I decided to go for a purchase of a wireless modem. I asked for the specification of what type of modem to go for. They(BSNL + IPTV) told me ADSL type and that a minimum of 2 ports must be available. Likewise, I bought Linksys 200G modem/router and did the connections. Unfortunately, then I was told that it requires even something like "bridging" such that 2 settings in encapsulation could be done - one for IPTV (VPI/VCI 0/35) and one for internet (VPI/VCI 0/100). Therefore, now am into a problem in such a way that I am not able to use both together, but only either of it can function at a time and each time I will have to change the configuration.

Now, with the options that I have at the moment. One is to try for an exchange. However, I am not able to get any suitable alternative fulfilling these requirements (wireless, modem, router (4 ports), bridging possibility). Even if I do find one on net, am scared to proceed with it without a guarantee that it does suit BSNL settings. Therefore, if any of you know any suitable modem that I could exchange with please let me know.

The other option is to keep this linksys modem with me and try some connectivity. However, I am not thorough with the computer-related stuff and so seeking your help if I could utilize the linksys 200G modem itself doing some settings . Kindly reply me with your valuable suggestions. Thank you.🙂

ok i know nothing about helping with your problem....but i just had to ask this...how is IPTV? any good? 🙂

@sagar3339 Option 1 : Change BSNL ADSLmodem to type IV ( wireless) Both accts can be programmed in same modem. Confirm you have wireless adapters in your laptop or desktop. Use Wireless link for computer and direct link for IPTV . 1.Telephone line==>splitter==>adsl==..>modem( wireless)==>Rj45 ===..SetBox for IPTV===>TV 2. modem Wireless ( No link ) to computer/laptop ( with wireless LAN adapter/ or PCI wireless ethernet card ) for Broadband internet. Option TWO: . you have a single pair of input line to splitter : one for Telephone Another for ADSL modem (or modem cum router.)So from here you can use a two way port ( or switch ) to give input to each modem ( set for each acct ) seperately also. Option 3 : Mt882 : continue USB port for computer. use Ethernet port for IPTV- Possible

Thank you for your reply. But so do you mean that the Linksys modem that I purchased now is a waste. The two way port (or switch) do you mean to put another splitter? what exactly must I ask for in shop "two way port" and will both work together if a splitter/this two way port is used.

1.Wait for some more replies. I have never seen an IPTV connection ! 2.I have suggested some steps, considering IPTV as another ISP ! 3.Have you tried the USB to computer and ethernet( Rj45) to "set box" for IPTV ? 4: How the present set up is working ? with MT882 or D-Link ? 5. Do you have Wireless adapter in your laptop/Desktop ?

Update: see the full details in this web site TPG - IPTV
I watch this on my TV? TPG IPTV is available for viewing on your PC - if your notebook/PC has an S Video connection you may connect your PC/Notebook to your TV.
Do I need to download any software? You will need to install a software for viewing. This is offered for download during the registration process, and full instructions are provided.

Will I need any specific equipment for IPTV? TPG recommends an ADSL 2+ modem that supports multiple PVC's and IGMP proxy. You can now purchase a TPG IPTV pre configured modem during the IPTV registration or by calling 1300 360 855. The following are modems/routers we supply or have supplied that are IPTV compatible: * D-Link DSL502T * D-Link DSL504T * D-Link DSLG604T * Netcomm NB1 * Netcomm NB5 * Netcomm NB5+4 * Netcomm NB5+4W - must use via the ethernet port * Netcomm NB9W * Dynalink 1320 It is also recommended that your computer system has a minimum of a Pentium 4 2Ghz CPU (or equivalent) with 128Mb RAM. Currently, the TPG IPTV service CAN NOT be transmitted via a wireless connection - if you have a modem/router with wireless capabilities you must connect directly via the Ethernet port rather than a wireless connection. This limitation

You can also contact India Online Broadband (iptv content provider for BSNL) in Bangalore @ 22188700 for any queries

Simplest solution: (Covered already)- Use USB like earlier to connect to PC- Use Ethernet port to connect to STB - You mentioned they are in different places, but they are open to giving longer cables. They left me with a 10 Meter cable, though I did not need it.- Most ADSL Routers allow for configuring multiple Virtual Circuits. So, I think WAG200G should also allow that. Did you not see option for having more than one VC ?BTW, I have a ADSL Modem that has One Ethernet port (used by IPTV STB) and Wireless (using for laptop). I think you should be able to work with USB for PC and Ethernet port for IPTV.

i am also using mtnl iptv.u can not use wireless modem for iptv.You need a with ADSL 2+ modem.just get ut starcom router with 4 ethernet ports [UT 304 R2].one ethernet port will be for triband and other for iptv.using a double ended rj45 cable u connect one end of it to ethernet port of router and other to stb.And for the rest of the connections u can manage yourself.

u can not use wireless modem for iptv.

Did you mean, we cannot connect via Wireless to IPTV STB ? If so, probably you are right (but there was another thread were someone indicated having tried this, and working, but very poor video quality - I'm not sure how they managed it though)

Otherwise, I have UTStarcom WA3002-g1 - with one ethernet port and Wifi. I use the ethernet port for STB and Wifi for Broadband access.

Did you mean, we cannot connect via Wireless to IPTV STB ? (but there was another thread were someone indicated having tried this, and working, but very poor video quality - I'm not sure how they managed it though)
any links ??

I use the ethernet port for STB and Wifi for Broadband access.
try the reverse way it wont work.

any links ??
Will find out and post it. It's on IPTV Forum only, may be on the other big thread on IPTV Launch in Bangalore.

try the reverse way it wont work.
Yes it wont, normally, but why will I want to do that, when I have it working this way ;o)

Simplest possible solution ..... use your phone line for broadband and local cable/TS/DTV for TV. (Forget IPTV) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: A small doubt, please excuse if it is a stupid question. Cant you use a splitter in the phone line, take a line to your TV set and connect it to the ADSL2 modem they gave and use IPTV. Take the other line to your wireless modem, and use it for your broadband service?

Connection😛hone line ~~ splitter ~~Wireless Router ~~(wirelessly) ~~ PC.Splitter ~~ Phone.IPTV Set top box should be connected to wireless router through LAN cable.If we choose this connection, all we need is to have wireless LAN card in PC, if u plan for this then choose Netgear it is very stable.Before doing anything, with present hardware, just try to connect ur IPTV set top box with wireless router, put the internet cable to the WAN port of wireless router.This is wht many has suggested but plz check this connection with present hardware.

Thanks a lot for all your replies. But I am looking for just two answers. 1. Now if I have to exchange my Linksys modem. With which one could I exchange with. Anybody using a wireless modem other than what BSNL provides may let me know. 2. The two-way switch which ess... was talking of? if I use that can i use both the IPTV and internet at same time and use both modems together?Yes, the IPTV is quite satisfactory to me except that it takes quite a few seconds to a minute for the STB to get adjusted while surfing channels and also sometimes the picture freezes. Otherwise, quality wise i felt it is good.Thanks again for your efforts....🙂

Confirm how you have connected your a)computer b) STB/Television setTelephone.The modem make and model now used Any wireless router for the set up Para two : Details of the wireless router you want to sell Para three : Confirm you have read the opinions/suggestions given in this thread and have no problem a) in watching IPTV b)surf the internet