HDFC Credit Card (RBI Ban Lifted)

Can I cancel my request?I don't wanna pay hefty charges....
Yes...
Or you can just ignore when the courier guys come to deliver...but keep in mind...you won't get it again for 6-9 months if you cancel it now

@Kick933 you have to choose that lifetime free option while applying. If online, you have to apply through this link (this is also on HDFC website: https://v1.hdfcbank.com/htdocs/common/2020/sept/festivetreat/all_retail_cards.html?fbclid=IwAR2x2ITa7ThlCKUT93Md_NDr6xp_TxBbsilCVu7-uTiO3dms9125ZunyX-Y ) and not through the general link available on the website. You won't get the welcome benefits if you choose Lifetime free option. I found it out from another forum. I am not sure if posting other forum links are allowed here. I hope that shouldn't be a problem as this is not an 'out-of-context promotion'.

HDFC is Offering Unconditional Lifetime Free Credit Card - TechnoFino Discussion - Banking - Credit Card

So,no update so far after in principle approval.
Let us see if it is lifetime free...
Oh...I am not desperate to get credit card.
For the age of 19,I have built a portfolio worth 1 lac from 5 thousand in stock market and have good income via dividends and trades,so cash flow is never an issue. It's just that I wanna have a good credit score and maximum available credit limit at the moment . Why not use the interest free period to earn some bucks in market....😉
UPDATE-:
I meassed up by choosing diners club card.
According to the link,I have to spend 3 lakh or 5 lakh to convert it into lifetime free card within 90 days....Man,it's gonna hurt.I am not gonna take it unless they give written commitment that it's free.

Just an update...I got lifetime free card and got limit of 70k......
So, essentially it is a lifetime free card witth no strings attached.
I suggest everyone to get a card for the sake of having it, provided you have enough self control to not to be indebted....

No,maybe yes...
I was on their NetBanking portal checking out my debit card rewards and saw banner on top.
Went along,provided my itr,and got the card approved the same day.I am supposed to get it in 3 days.I just received a call from them regarding feedback.
Awaiting the card.

Guys I am having query on closure of my regalia card. First gave request for closure on 15th Nov. Card was not closed till 29th Nov. Got frustrated and hotlisted the card from netbanking thinking it would close but it didn't. In turn new card got generated but since I opted for NOT to reissue the card, it was not delivered but card account was still active. Hence called phonebanking again and placed request for closure of new card number . Card was again temp blocked . To be doubly Sure , sent a card closure form to hdfc Chennai office. Received acknowledgement on 8th dec that request is received and we will revert shortly via SMS but MY CARD ACCOUNT IS STILL ACTIVE as of 15th Dec. Customer care is clueless as to why it is not getting closed.

Need your feedback if this is how hdfc SOP to deal with card closure???

HDFC is shit while closing cards. Make sure there is no due on the CC. Maybe pay 100 or 200 more (they will refund it once the account is closed.) Write emails from your registered email id that you want to permanently close the card account and everything. Also, ask them the service request (SR number). Ask them to send a no-dues/ no objection certificate to you. If that is not processed within 14 days, write emails to their nodal officer of your state, mentioning your SR number. Make sure to obtain that no dues certificate. After one month of the initial complaint, if you do not receive the no dues certificate, lodge a complaint mentioning all details with the RBI banking ombudsman of your service area on the basis of credit card not closed. RBI has a robust grievance handling procedure, unlike many other government departments.

Do not hotlist your card as it just blocks your card. Also, it is advisable to write emails instead of requesting over the phone. You will have every proof in that case. The credit account is still active and will continue to incur charges. I have heard that HDFC didn't close somebody's card even after repeated intimations. The person thought his card had been closed but received 10,000 due letters after 3 years. It was just the annual fee with all late payment and interest charges.

@royalroy mine is not a default case of credit card. I was a normal user who shifted to other cards like amex and Citibank and now wants to close hdfc card as I would not be spending 3 lakhs in a year to waive of my annual fee of 2500. So I raised cancellation request with valid cancellation request no. also send a courier to their Chennai office for which I have received the acknowledgement from HDFC via SMS. That's it but it is not proceeding forward.

Phonebanking says that card is in temp block status hence no annual fee will be levied. But then why is the bank not closing the card account. It is not good hygiene from banking perspective.

I am planning to draft a mail to their nodal team followed by to RBI.

In your friends case I believe he would be getting monthly statement of credit card if there was a due of any sort. How can he get one letter after 3 yrs suddenly without any intimation for 3yrs. It doesn't happen like that. I received mine yesterday with nil balance. It would continue till account is closed...

@cooltexas60s One fine day, you will be charged the annual fee of the card and your bill won't be nil. If you are complacent with the fact that you have already closed the card, you won't even notice it. It's better to ask them for a no-dues certificate. 🙂

Last edited:
I should check if Indus people closed my card or not. It never appeared in my online account and customer care was not helping so I told them to shut it off on phone. Haven't received any sms or email with dues since then. Plus the card was super annoying with buttons to press for all transactions. Should have researched before confirming when they offered me that shit.

So just now again I called to customer care , now they say my card account has been permanently closed yesterday (15th Dec). I said I did not receive any message or email and he had no answer. Called up again after 2 min to re verify his claim and another executive also told card account has been permanently closed yesterday. So I have to believe anyways I have raised complaint on nodal officer of hdfc . Once they revert confirming card closure then I can have it documented for future purpose.

One thing I have to say MNC banks have solid sop for each and every thing. Closed my father Citibank card last month, card was closed on call itself and received one message immediately that card has been permanently closed and keep it for future reference. I moved my HDFC Bank account to standard chartered and ohhh man what a breeze... Account opened in 10 min sitting at home and I was able to transfer fund into it immediately. They don't give cashback offers too much but service is top notch

Does HDFC CC have a dedicated app to manage the credit card? Their normal mobile app doesn't show much info in terms of reward points, etc. ICICI's app is miles ahead in these terms.