HDFC Credit Card (RBI Ban Lifted)

So I had a basic hdfc credit card, Last year I got a call from them offering me a “Regalia” credit card “free”.
So I Ok’ed.

They never once mention that it was only free for the first year. For the second year they have charged Rs. 2500 + GST.

I raised a complaint but they are adamant that I was detailed and duly signed the application which obviously I never did.

I think if you cancel , they need to revert? Or do you still plan to keep it.

It becomes free if you fulfill a few requirements. And the requirements aren't difficult. 🙄

Really. You mean to achieve something like purchase x amount in a year kind of requirement or something else.

Last edited:
You should have asked for a written confirmation for the same, even I was given a "lifetime" free regelia card, while the guy from the bank who called me told its lifetime free and I don't need to fulfull any requirements for the same, I still mailed them for a written confirmation of the same just to be on the safer side.

First of all, Regalia is not an entry level card. It's a premium card. If you don't know which card you're getting and why it's a premium card, it's better not to take it. 2 lakhs per annum is a very normal annual transaction on a CC if you're taking a premium card.

And about the lifetime free offer, as far I'm aware they have many options to make the card lifetime free. In some other thread I've shared the details for Regalia First.

I think if you cancel , they need to revert? Or do you still plan to keep it.

I cancelled via netbanking and selected 'NO' for reissue. They reissued another one.

If they had stated the requirement at the time of offering I may or may not have accepted or atleast tried to fulfil.

The below makes no sense to me, They issued me a new card without me asking but wouldn't give it to me because I didn't ask 😳

We observe from our records that your HDFC Bank credit card bearing number xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxxx was blocked from further usage on September xx , 2020 basis your earlier request received at Phone Banking. In lieu of the same, a new HDFC Bank credit card bearing number xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx was generated. However, the new credit card was not despatched to your mailing address in the absence of your request for the same at that point of time. Further, there is no request towards card closure, hence the card remains active.

Unfortunately this is the norm, you have to explicitly make a request for card account closure. If you merely block the card, the account will still remain active.

I think people really uses the word scam alot without knowing what the word scam even means.

2nd - you got a call from the sales people , They lied. Happens in every industry. Basically once u got the card, u r supposed to read t&c and then if u r not okay with it, talk to cc and if they say it's LTF card , then ask them to give in writing. Simple as that.

Regarding the fee issue - This happens all the time and you cannot do anything now but pay the pending fees. From seeing similar posts all over the internet, they don't budge how much ever you complain and if you don't pay, your cibil score takes a tumble. Better to settle it and close.

I raised a complaint but they are adamant that I was detailed and duly signed the application which obviously I never did.
How did you submit the application? Was there an OTP involved?

Err, like feku?
Anyways did you do your due diligence?
People gets conned because they are being lazy and fall for every free thing. Did you try to complain to HDFC for being conned?
You cannot cancel credit card from netbanking yet you say you cancelled it and says HDFC is being unfair that generated another card.
If you cannot spot the difference between cancellation and hotlisting, I would support the sales guy who sold the upgrade to you. Because it is your responsibility to know everything about what is being sold to you.

Last edited:
Selling something by telling lies or half truth is not scam in your book ?
Nope. At best you can call it unethical business practice. Scam means they promised you a card, you paid(or not) but never received the card. Example - you order pizza, you pay for it, but never received the delivery.

You got the card right? and remember, it's a credit or a loan, Bank stands losing a lot more than you.

Again, if the fee has just been charged and you have not used it, I think you should be able to get the fees reversed. Call customer care and ask them to cancel the card and revert the fees.