HDFC Bank to charge Rs. 500 to close bank accounts!

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 5,660
I have never closed any bank account and left them abandoned . Because all banks have almost similar policies.

since they would cut charges for having a low balance... your account balance would go into negative. and that might end up hurting your credit rating. just saying. it is never a good idea to leave a bank account inactive.

I had closed my accounts in PNB, DCB, State Bank of Indore, Axis Bank and ICICI Bank. And except ICICI Bank, I don't think I would be in a situation to go back to rest of the bank. So, this is the reason I left the accounts abandoned. ICICI was my Salary Account, So I don't think I need to worry about. What Say ??

20000 AVB in NON-urban areas? Have they lost it? Even ICICI charges 5000 for non-urban and 10K for urban

----------

since they would cut charges for having a low balance... your account balance would go into negative. and that might end up hurting your credit rating. just saying.

The rascals screwed my credit rating without even giving me any benefit of all that. They did around 15 enquries to give me a ****ing credit card, this after they themselves were after me for giving me a card. Bastards

ICICI is 2k for ruralI have an account with just 1k min balance 🙂

i am in a mess basically. 25K on Standard Chartered. 10K on ICICI Bank.

----------

20000 AVB in NON-urban areas? Have they lost it? Even ICICI charges 5000 for non-urban and 10K for urban

----------

The rascals screwed my credit rating without even giving me any benefit of all that. They did around 15 enquries to give me a ****ing credit card, this after they themselves were after me for giving me a card. Bastards

are you sure that it hurts your credit rating? i know that this is something that happens in USA (and Europe?). but here in india too?

Is this even legal to apply this on existing customers? I mean when someone opened an account, they were under the impression that closing that account would be free but now the bank says pay up 500 bucks? seems unfair.

^^ Check out CIBIL, not as integrated as the US system, but yes it does exist

----------

Is this even legal to apply this on existing customers? I mean when someone opened an account, they were under the impression that closing that account would be free but now the bank says pay up 500 bucks? seems unfair.

Are we sure its applying?

Cause increases in min. bal dont apply to old customers atleast

----------

Are we sure its applying?

Cause increases in min. bal dont apply to old customers atleast

policies have changed with time. when i opened my icici account, i think the requirements did not even exist. and then it was 5k and later on it was 10k.

when i opened my stanchart account, it was 15K for the account i had. and later it was increased to 25K.

of course charging for closing a bank account is pretty much a blackmail and RBI needs to intervene.

but the article did say that the HDFC would charge only in some cases. like if the customer has not been maintaining the minimum balance required by them or the account is pretty new. 😕

are you sure that it hurts your credit rating? i know that this is something that happens in USA (and Europe?). but here in india too?
Oh these things are tracked big time here. Everytime you take a credit card, or any loan, there is a check done against your rating in CIBIL. Every default of yours (late payment, bounced cheque etc) is noted down. There are points associated to each. I don't have information on what gets or removes how much, but the scale does exist. It is just that many aren't aware of this, which isn't always a good thing as sometimes there are - pts in your account for no fault of yours. ex: you paid on time but it got reflected late due to a holiday, or you closed a card because of the companies issues and didn't pay the dues as you weren't supposed to, etc. These things go into your credit rating and next time you apply for something these things show up in the score.

Enquiries also land spoil your score, particularly if for higher amounts. Let's say you are looking for a housing loan of 50 lakhs. You ask 3 banks to negotiate on a deal. All 3 go to CIBIL for a certain large amount to see if it is safe to give you that amount. However, the side effect of this is it shows that you are on the lookout for multiple loans, and so might not be a good prospective customer to have as you (will / are) over burdened with too much already

policies have changed with time. when i opened my icici account, i think the requirements did not even exist. and then it was 5k and later on it was 10k.

when i opened my stanchart account, it was 15K for the account i had. and later it was increased to 25K.

of course charging for closing a bank account is pretty much a blackmail and RBI needs to intervene.

but the article did say that the HDFC would charge only in some cases. like if the customer has not been maintaining the minimum balance required by them or the account is pretty new. 😕
O_O

They INCREASED ur min. bal req?

Thats just... wrong

mmm. i think it applies to everyone. even for people with old accounts. i have always taken it to be like this. never really checked as i try to play it safe. the day i find it hard to manage AQB, i would close my account in these private banks and get an account in a sarkari bank. 🙂 salaried accounts however have different policies. my accounts are regular savings accounts.