HDFC Bank is charging as much as Rs. 600 per month for non maintenance of minimum balance

Source

seems unreasonable. but it's possible that this account was one of the higher end ones with higher balance requirements than normal with extra privileges. still kind of insane.

igloo

Not just Internet.
Regulars
No normal saving account

MB Slabs
(in Rs.)Metro & Urban
AMB Requirement -Rs 10,000/
->=7,500 to < 10,000 -------------Rs. 150/- per month
>=5,000 to < 7,500---------------Rs. 300/-
>=2,500 to < 5,000---------------Rs. 450/-
-0 to < 2,500--------------------Rs. 600/-

Other banks are almost same like Axis bank the biggest chor bank.

Smh

Regulars
all private banks icici, kotak have similar charges for non maintenance of MAB but according to RBI rule bank cannot charge penalty after Rs 0 so balance should not be -ve but if you deposit money they will deduct their previous charges.

Its really fucked up to be punished for being poor. Banks could disable some services temporarily or charge a reasonable penalty if account holder wants to continue using account else just close the account after a time-period.

yeah considering banks do not get penalized for having empty atms or deficiency in services. it's kind of insane that how these banks get away with providing awful quality of service to customers.

Jay

Regulars
...according to RBI rule bank cannot charge penalty after Rs 0 so balance should not be -ve but if you deposit money they will deduct their previous charges.
This happened to me a couple of years ago. I put 2k into an ICICI account that hadn't been touched for over 2 years and woosh the money disappeared the next instant saying MAB charges for so and so quarter. Ended up closing the account as I was sure any further deposits would end up going into a blackhole. The remaining MAB charges were fortunately waived off then.

Being naive, I was under the impression that MAB stood for Minimum Account Balance rather than Monthly Average Balance and that only 10k needed to be deposited in the account every month. :p

Even now I get charged anything between 300-500 every so often.

ICICI requires an FD of 1.25 lakhs to waive off MAB charges every month.

Smh

Regulars
this is from icici

Debit balances are taken as zero for MAB calculation.
Monthly Average Balance = Sum of closing balance for all days in a month (Day 1 + Day 2 + Day 3 +...... + Day 30) Divided by Number of Days in a month (30).
Example: If the balances in Current Account are: October 1 (Rs 2000), October 2 (Rs 1000), October 3 (-Rs 1000, i.e., debit balance of Rs 1000), Average Balance as on October 3 = (Rs 2000 + Rs 1000 + Rs 0) / 3 = Rs 1000/-. Note: October 3 balance is taken as Rs 0 as it is in debit balance.
mab and minimum bal is really confusing, both require minimum bal of 10k

Jay

Regulars
It really is frustrating. I opened a basic account in a public sector bank to avoid all these extra charges and the experience has been truly horrible. They treat you like dirt ( maybe just an isolated instance at the branch) and worst of it, even the basic customer service assistance is woefully lacking. For me, they just disabled internet banking for no reason one day and I had to visit their main branch in the city to even lodge a complaint. So in that respect, things at the private banks are more convenient.