HDD sharing For Streaming On Switch Issue

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 13033
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 2,986
D

Deleted member 13033

Hello anyone having networking knowledge please assist 🙂

I have a gigabit TP-Link switch, tp link wifi 100 MBps router and a PC. Cable internet wire.

All 3 need to be connected so that PC gets Gigabit connectivity and WiFi router gets full 100 Mbps connectivity and all files can be shred from PC over the WiFI router.

1. i have connected my cable internet line to the gigibit switch in port 1

2.Port 2 of switch has PC

3. Port 3 of switch has wifi router which is connected to WAN port

Now My router only supports 100MBps and I dont want spend to get a gigabit router. ( TP link W841N) its costing around Rs 3k and speeds of 100MBps is fine for now.

Now I have added POPPE interface on router and its able to connect on its own and all WiFi connectivity work.

On PC net is working fine using a dialup poppe connection.

Both on PC and WiFi are getting different public IP, now even though net is working, i am not able to see the files which i have shared on my PC on my WiFi devices. All devices are connected via same switch.

now could anyone find the solution..

wifi router lan ip is 198.168.0.1

pc lan ip is: 192.168.1.1

Once both PC and WiFi Router are connected to the net, both have different public IP even though connected via same switch and net connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant the switch do pppoe dialing ... is it smart?
What net u using that allows multiple login?
Firewall on router on?
What kind of sharing you are trying to achieve?

1 . add custom rule to your pc firewall to allow incoming connections from router and other devices ip range. (Try disabling firewall to do quick test, don't expose your pc to internet for too long). Windows firewall by default block all incoming connections.

2. You may have to disable your router firewall too or you may setup DMZ in your router to expose only selected devices you want. Your PC is on WAN for router so its firewall will block request from your PC.

You are getting two different ips because you are logging in from two different devices. how is your internet even working ? can you use internet on wifi and pc at the same time ?

Last edited:
Ya net I am using both on wifi and PC, both have different IP,

If I enabled sharing option on Windows I was hoping that would solve it 😛

On PC I am getting more than 100MBps speeds and on wifi it's limited to 50MBps (100MB lab port on router )

Not using a router firewall for your pc will have security issues so just make sure you are not exposing your files to internet. Since most ISP are using carrier grade NAT so your PC/devices will not be exposed completely to internet just to your ISP LAN.

wifi router lan ip is 198.168.0.1

pc lan ip is: 192.168.1.1

i am not very aware of these things. but these look like different vlans? they would not appear on the same network. you need to have them on the same local network to access files from other devices?

i am not very aware of these things. but these look like different vlans? they would not appear on the same network. you need to have them on the same local network to access files from other devices?
yep its on different network.
So for it to work you need to have subnet 255.255.0.0
Or better use 1.1 and 122.1

I had put wifi router on 192.168.0.1 and PC lan on 192.168.0.11 subet for both was 255.255.255.0 files from PC did not show.

You have a very weird setup. Why can't you set it up like this?

eVWgncw.png

By this way, you have DHCP configured on the router and your PC and any WiFi device will be in the same IP range. I am not very sure but any device that is gigabit capable and if connected to the switch should get gigabit speeds. Just try this and let us know.

@Nishant OP cannot connect other devices wirelessly(wifi) to switch. If he follows setup as in your diagram router will create bottleneck and total bandwidth will be limited to 100 Mbps. Ideally with his setup internet should not work at all because of multiple ppoe logins.

@anant.del if you are just trying to use your PC as NAS just to stream media files you can use media server like https://www.plex.tv/how-it-works/ (remember to configure windows firewall to allow connections)

@Nishant OP cannot connect other devices wirelessly(wifi) to switch. If he follows setup as in your diagram router will create bottleneck and total bandwidth will be limited to 100 Mbps. Ideally with his setup internet should not work at all because of multiple ppoe logins.

@anant.del if you are just trying to use your PC as NAS just to stream media files you can use media server like How Plex Works | Home Media Server | Media Manager (remember to configure windows firewall to allow connections)

Gbit switch, with a 100mb router?

I used to have a similar setup before.

A Cisco RV042 100Mbps router which is connected to a Netgear R7000 used as an AP (DHCP disabled) and my PC and my Banana Pro (a raspberry pi clone) with a Gigabit port was connected to R7000 and I used to get Gigabit speeds across these.