Hayai Broadband FAQs

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,631
  • Views Views 194,555
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know about Delhi - once you launch ops in the first locality or so, will the entire city be covered wirelessly or does it also require a locality-by-locality expansion?

The latter. It would be impractical to cover the whole of a city like Delhi wirelessly from a single point of presence.

With the right equipment it could probably be done in such a way that you *might* receive a signal on the other side of the city but it would definitely not be fast or reliable and it wouldn't support the number of users that would be subscribing.

Thanks. I certainly hope you start with South Delhi then! Also, any updates on your last meeting - did the clearances come through or is the process likely to drag on a bit more?

Thanks. I certainly hope you start with South Delhi then!

Also, any updates on your last meeting - did the clearances come through or is the process likely to drag on a bit more?

Hasn't happened yet. I'm meeting Ripunjay this evening (like in about 10 minutes) to hand him some of the necessary documentation so that he can go to Delhi on Monday.

^^It would be completed when they start offering services and are ready to accept applications for connection.

hey MgC
?
Mg or Mathew or Mathew carley would be Great? Mgc sounds like Mcdonalds for me!

^^It would be completed when they start offering services and are ready to accept applications for connection.
Yay! waiting to see the Design of the site. I Hope it doesn't look like Craptel website.

hey MgC
you said your website will be up and running in last week of September ?

Subject to license etc, yes. But that hasn't been 100% completed yet. Site is being made... less ugly... as of now.

Mg or Mathew or Mathew carley would be Great? Mgc sounds like Mcdonalds for me!

Mathew would be easiest in that case.

Yay! waiting to see the Design of the site. I Hope it doesn't look like Craptel website.

Hell no. It's currently in the "content/function is there, but it looks like arse, so it's being made pretty" stage.

Hell no. It's currently in the "content/function is there, but it looks like arse, so it's being made pretty" stage.
OT but I just find it amusing that the proper English spelling passes most filters while the corrupted American version which also is a beast of burden gets blocked. 🙂

Hi mcgarley,I just went to hayai website to check if any progress has been made and was forced to type a captcha to enter by cloudflare. I use BSNL as I have told previously and half of Indian IPs especially BSNL and MTNL are blocked by cloudflare. So, I would personally not advise you to use cloudflare as your target market is India and most people would not understand the captcha page or would be put off by the page. I have left cloudflare for the same reasons as well as due to other bugs after testing for a few months in the past. Cloudflare is far from being perfect and their support response is not the best either and I never received their replies with some bugs I mentioned. Go for a dedicated server either US based or India based and it hardly cost a couple of hundred dollars. You can host on your own servers too or on HNS servers and it hardly costs much. Cloudflare would just save a few GB of bandwidth and nothing else. At least once you launch the website do not go for cloudflare at all especially with all Indian IPs and traffic being your target customers. In case some problems occurs and the captcha page during transactions etc. in the future then it might be a massive problem. Just thought of informing as I saw the same which visiting the Hayai site.

Hi mcgarley,

I just went to hayai website to check if any progress has been made and was forced to type a captcha to enter by cloudflare. I use BSNL as I have told previously and half of Indian IPs especially BSNL and MTNL are blocked by cloudflare. So, I would personally not advise you to use cloudflare as your target market is India and most people would not understand the captcha page or would be put off by the page. I have left cloudflare for the same reasons as well as due to other bugs after testing for a few months in the past. Cloudflare is far from being perfect and their support response is not the best either and I never received their replies with some bugs I mentioned. Go for a dedicated server either US based or India based and it hardly cost a couple of hundred dollars. You can host on your own servers too or on HNS servers and it hardly costs much. Cloudflare would just save a few GB of bandwidth and nothing else. At least once you launch the website do not go for cloudflare at all especially with all Indian IPs and traffic being your target customers. In case some problems occurs and the captcha page during transactions etc. in the future then it might be a massive problem. Just thought of informing as I saw the same which visiting the Hayai site.

1. Our server is dedicated and located in Gurgaon.

2. IBF uses cloudflare and you don't seem to be experiencing any issues.

3. Cloudflare is a CDN, not a hosting company. The idea is that it is *supposed* to improve performance, but in case it does cause problems for other BSNL/MTNL users we'll take it off and revert back to how it was.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I know about CloudFlare very well. It is a CDN but why do you need a CDN if the server is located in Gurgaon. CDN provides cached page only for the local users and there isn't a single Cloudflare server in India. You can check out the CloudFlare server locations if you want in this page. So, it cannot give a better result than your local server as your target users are Indian. I was just advising based on my own experience and nothing else as it might create inconvenience to valuable prospects and nothing else. IBF also uses Nginx which has also got issues too and I know about it. I faced both the cloudflare as well as Nginx 504 Gateway Timeout in IBF in the past though not today. It is a different case being a webmaster or a forum. IBF is based on limited amount of profit being only a forum and I being a webmaster can realize this. I own two dedicated servers myself and so, I know about the server load etc. quite well. So, to reduce server costs, every webmaster including me needs to optimize the server performance by using solutions such as Nginx, FastCgi, Cloudflare etc. and that is keeping in consideration of costs too along with quality. But a professional and especially a company where transaction will be done is completely different. A user will go off IBF and return later if needed if he finds such captcha page or a 504 Nginx error and it would not make much difference to profitability. These are small games and calculations every webmaster using dedicated server plays considering the profitability etc. into considerations. That is infact needed especially with Indian traffic where CPC, ad rates or other avenues are not enough to purchase servers day in and day out. A US based broadband and tech forum of such magnitude would probably make 8-10 times the profit compared to IBF and so, a webmaster targeting US traffic can purchase a much more powerful server. But it is different in case of Indian traffic. So, there is a reason why IBF would be using it and profitability and server resources is definitely one of the factors.

It seems I have again made a tl dr post as other IBFers mentioned in my other posts. LOL. I was just advising and nothing else based on my own experience as that might drive away potential users from your website. CloudFlare does not work the best in India all the time as whole IP ranges especially of providers like BSNL and MTNL are blocked by CloudFlare. And it has other negative affects such as problems I faced in one of my download sites in the past where it showed 404 error. There are several problems and being a cheap/free CDN it does not provide the best of results to be honest. I have faced a lot of problems even with worldwide traffic with CloudFlare leave apart Indian traffic and that is why I came here to mention the same when I saw it.

1. Our server is dedicated and located in Gurgaon.

2. IBF uses cloudflare and you don't seem to be experiencing any issues.

3. Cloudflare is a CDN, not a hosting company. The idea is that it is *supposed* to improve performance, but in case it does cause problems for other BSNL/MTNL users we'll take it off and revert back to how it was.

^^
Duly noted.

Any updates on the visit to the DoT in New Delhi?

If there were, I'd have said something.

ooh. cloudflare plans to eventually have a CDN in India.

but i would find it weird that hayai would be using them for their official website simply because it would not become part of the hayai zone 😛

----------

and i do not use nginx. 😱 i want to but i don't because i do not have the technical expertise to run it 😀

----------

those errors were probably served by cloudflare and not my server. my service is a regular apache based machine.

If there were, I'd have said something.

you had stated that ur CTO went to Delhi on Monday....today is Wednesday.:waiting:

Status
Not open for further replies.