Hayai Broadband FAQs

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,631
  • Views Views 194,468
Status
Not open for further replies.
subscriptions? I guess that is for intra city demand or does one has register in good nos to bring hayai to a city!!!

Well, yes, sort of - we can't justify going to a new city with just 1 or 2 subscribers.

Well, yes, sort of - we can't justify going to a new city with just 1 or 2 subscribers.

Then i would say you are going into un-chartered territories....the business model is quite like "pehle murgi ki anda"/first egg or hen.:nightmare:

suppose u target a city X then will u wait for n no. of subscriptions to pile up then u will start to lay equipments? how will they even know that a company like hayai exists? and in the second run what if people don't subscribe after registering?

Then i would say you are going into un-chartered territories....the business model is quite like "pehle murgi ki anda"/first egg or hen.:nightmare:

suppose u target a city X then will u wait for n no. of subscriptions to pile up then u will start to lay equipments?

Yes and no - there are several stages which can be completed in fairly quick succession, which starts with competitive analysis & market research. We can do so much, but if the demand remains low then another city would become higher in the priority list.

When I get that first request, I know at least one person wants a connection. First thing we can do is ask the person "do you know anyone else nearby who would also be interested?" (yes or no answer).

If yes, then we check out the situation in that city: who else is there, what are they offering etc. Demographics of people, income, etc. From that basic information, we can decide based on statistics the potential size of the market and what kind of numbers we should expect.

If that looks good, we can find out from local authorities about laying our infrastructure there and any more information about the area(s), how much it will cost etc.

If that looks good, we can find out 1. If we're prepared/able to build infrastructure from the next nearest Hayai PoP, or 2. Who would have some dark fiber up for lease.

If that comes out fine, we go and actually find out for ourselves what the situation is like on the ground, if there are any businesses that might be able to become anchor tenants, surveys of the population, etc.

If that result is positive, we can begin advertising and begin actually get something in place - a local PoP, infrastructure and people.

So let's say we get two simultaneous requests to enter new territories. We simultaneously research both places. But the market response (in terms of subscriptions) in cityA is far far less than cityB (let's say 0.26% compared to 0.8% positive response rate), so we will in that case go to CityB first.

how will they even know that a company like hayai exists?

It will take some time for us to become as pervasive as the others, so to begin with, a lot of word of mouth would have to be generated for the demand to be created in some areas. After some time, however, there will come a point where we should be as easy to spot as Airtel, Vodafone, Reliance or Tata (or Uninor, Videocon etc etc etc).

But it also could be said that we're not really a mass-market company - we don't have to be in every teeny tiny little village to be successful. Although we have no intention of depriving (for example) rural subscribers from having fast, reliable net access, considering the financial situation of most of them, it's unlikely that they're in our target audience anyway.

So, our rural strategy has to take on a different form, which is being planned in terms of facilitating education/medicine/etc through broadband, having "community centers" and so on - but this has all been written about before.

and in the second run what if people don't subscribe after registering?

A subscription is binding - it creates an account, but the account is not activated until such time as the connection itself is activated.

Yes and no - there are several stages which can be completed in fairly quick succession, which starts with competitive analysis & market research. We can do so much, but if the demand remains low then another city would become higher in the priority list.

When I get that first request, I know at least one person wants a connection. First thing we can do is ask the person "do you know anyone else nearby who would also be interested?" (yes or no answer).

If yes, then we check out the situation in that city: who else is there, what are they offering etc. Demographics of people, income, etc. From that basic information, we can decide based on statistics the potential size of the market and what kind of numbers we should expect.If that looks good, we can find out 1. If we're prepared/able to build infrastructure from the next nearest Hayai PoP, or 2. Who would have some dark fiber up for lease.

If that comes out fine, we go and actually find out for ourselves what the situation is like on the ground, if there are any businesses that might be able to become anchor tenants, surveys of the population, etc. If that result is positive, we can begin advertising and begin actually get something in place - a local PoP, infrastructure and people.

So let's say we get two simultaneous requests to enter new territories. We simultaneously research both places. But the market response (in terms of subscriptions) in cityA is far far less than cityB (let's say 0.26% compared to 0.8% positive response rate), so we will in that case go to CityB first.

It will take some time for us to become as pervasive as the others, so to begin with, a lot of word of mouth would have to be generated for the demand to be created in some areas. After some time, however, there will come a point where we should be as easy to spot as Airtel, Vodafone, Reliance or Tata (or Uninor, Videocon etc etc etc).

A subscription is binding - it creates an account, but the account is not activated until such time as the connection itself is activated.

this is the first time i have heard of such a strategy !! I guess the normal wisdom would suggest that one does research assess the demand and then comes to that city based on that report. subscriptions are hardly statistical as the sample sizes are way too small to even draw an inference.
and moreover u can only hope for a person to register if u can actually sell him a product 'instantly'. why would one even register for a product if the company does not even have a physical presence there.

and about subscriptions what does it actually mean acc. to hayai? Ur words are sounding like it is legally binding if one registers! and i see a lot of bogus accounts created.

this is the first time i have heard of such a strategy !! I guess the normal wisdom would suggest that one does research assess the demand and then comes to that city based on that report. subscriptions are hardly statistical as the sample sizes are way too small to even draw an inference.

Correct, but the statistics are taken from what can be gleaned from actual activity in the area and so forth, not the 1 or 2 initial subscribers. 1 or 2 is not a statistic, it's an indication that we need to find out if providing a service in that area.

On the other hand, as it has also been mentioned in posts of the past, a tier-2 (maybe even tier-3) city sitting neatly in between 2 large metros may also be subject to being targeted anyway due simply to it being "on the way" and since we would be putting infrastructure from A to B anyway.

As you can see, broadly speaking expansion is a pretty messy subject, which is why my (currently quite small) team is trying to manage it all so carefully... When we are able to focus on an area, we should be able to move swiftly and effectively through the steps necessary to get things up and running.

and moreover u can only hope for a person to register if u can actually sell him a product 'instantly'. why would one even register for a product if the company does not even have a physical presence there.

and about subscriptions what does it actually mean acc. to hayai? Ur words are sounding like it is legally binding if one registers! and i see a lot of bogus accounts created.

I'll take that as 1 question. Yes. We can only hope for someone to subscribe (as in, ready to part with cash money) if we have a presence in or near their area. As such, a subscription is legally binding. But subscriptions only actually work in areas we can service immediately. If an area is not immediately serviceable, then there is a registration of interest, which does not create an account and is not necessarily legally binding, but allows us to conduct the feasibility research I outlined in my previous post.

Presumably if 1 person registers their interest in an area, obviously by the time we launch in that area there would be other people who are subscribing, so if the original person (or people) does decide not to subscribe then it doesn't make a great deal of difference overall - 240 might as well be the same as 250 in this case because there's always room to add more subscribers, which should be the ultimate goal - in this case it would be kind of like not turning up to an invitation-only party... your place would be given to someone else.

provide a form that asks the user for his address details. use this data to put the locations on a google map. and see it visually... how many people have shown interest in a specific location. 😛 it would be interesting to see what areas have people interested in getting a connection from hayai broadband.

Won't that be a messy thing?Moreover, how will you find out the location on the map using just the postal address (and say, the pin code)?

Google should be able to pin point most clear addresses on Google Maps. You are not going to get exact house/flat numbers. But localities should work out fine.

it would be interesting to see what areas have people interested in getting a connection from hayai broadband.

but then again the problem comes ...no one knows hayai as of now. one cant just expect IBF to be a reason enough for awareness, moreover only a limited no. of members come to hayai threads, others just troll BB,mobile,dth threads and move off.
hayai has to do a lot before it can expect its name to be synonymous with the likes of spectranet,you and other smaller players.

well they have to start somewhere and instead of selecting places themselves for launching and then targeting potential user base, there is no harm in running an online campaign asking people from around the country to submit their basic details to get an idea where there is an existing demand.

once the service is launched, i am sure hayai is going to get tons of exposure. both in the social media and on the web in general. and lots of people would want to know when they would be able to get a connection in their locality. a unified URL to let them submit their details and check existing interest in their area would be a cool feature to have.

otherwise, we would continue to see tons of threads about when hayai would launch in my city and so on.

----------

do not underestimate the capabilities of social media. a link that goes viral on twitter can generate massive response. and i would imagine that lots of potential customers of Hayai would be active on social media.

Thanks MG for your response.I am being tempted to ask if you have a time frame in mind about Hayai launch in NCR (& BLR)? Regards,- B

well they have to start somewhere and instead of selecting places themselves for launching and then targeting potential user base, there is no harm in running an online campaign asking people from around the country to submit their basic details to get an idea where there is an existing demand.

once the service is launched, i am sure hayai is going to get tons of exposure. both in the social media and on the web in general. and lots of people would want to know when they would be able to get a connection in their locality. a unified URL to let them submit their details and check existing interest in their area would be a cool feature to have.

otherwise, we would continue to see tons of threads about when hayai would launch in my city and so on.

----------

do not underestimate the capabilities of social media. a link that goes viral on twitter can generate massive response. and i would imagine that lots of potential customers of Hayai would be active on social media.
I agree with you. Once people come to know of Hayai's features, many will be willing to take data plans atleast because they're still lot better than what BSNL or Airtel sells.

You're right. Beam fiber who is normal Internet provider Due to Few Blogs and Speed Test Videos BeCame Famous throughout.
Hayai Should hit out in few areas, that is more than enough for people to know about it. We'd Have Speedtest Videos and pingtimes Etc.. Etc..

I'd like to know about Delhi - once you launch ops in the first locality or so, will the entire city be covered wirelessly or does it also require a locality-by-locality expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.