Hayai Broadband - Fair Usage Policy

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 62
  • Views Views 38,084
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you pay for upload as much as download

I actually upload a bit more than my download.so if I take your data plans for instance of 200gb download rs.3000 and upload 500gb and download 200gb.you will be making a loss?

Generally speaking no. While the "price per GB" we have calculated is for Downloads only, the upload capacity is the same, and we don't anticipate most users matching their download and upload capacities, and we find that most people don't care nearly as much about how much they can upload.

Otherwise, the plans would be 200GB down, 200GB up instead of "200GB down, whatever you can up" as they are now.

5mbits with 300gb dload limit would be ok.. but uploads shouldn be counted . What if person dloads some odd 30gb in a day and rest 3 4 days just normal 1 gb.. would that be ok..?

Generally speaking no. While the "price per GB" we have calculated is for Downloads only, the upload capacity is the same, and we don't anticipate most users matching their download and upload capacities, and we find that most people don't care nearly as much about how much they can upload.

Otherwise, the plans would be 200GB down, 200GB up instead of "200GB down, whatever you can up" as they are now.

yeah cost most don't know how uploads matter.

I have seen people blaming their download speed when they are upload an attachment with mail.They think its because of the download speed.....lol

anyways,i wanted to know how much approx it cost you to lay 7.5 lakh KM fiber across the nation as you said before

just curious cause i read an article today saying government has laid out 5 lakh KM of fiber across nation for Rs.18,000 crore

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

the major drawback for me in taking your connection would be Prepaid payment and that you don't have a fixed contention ratio of 1:8 or lower like most others

also you taking alot of time.Already people are offering 2mbps unlimited for Rs.2000 and by the year end could go to 4mbps under Rs.3000 fully unlimited.

And whenever you will launch other big entities will compete which will make it a tougher choice

5mbits with 300gb dload limit would be ok.. but uploads shouldn be counted .

I think limiting both the download limit *and* the speed is a stupid idea. If we're going to say there is a 300GB limit, why not just deliver it at 100mbit/s? It costs us the same to do that.

Uploads currently are not counted and as of now that plan is not changing.

What if person dloads some odd 30gb in a day and rest 3 4 days just normal 1 gb.. would that be ok..?

We don't care really, we average it out over the 30 day period, so 59GB, whether on a flat-rate plan OR on a >60GB-data plan, would be fine for us.

yeah cost most don't know how uploads matter.

I have seen people blaming their download speed when they are upload an attachment with mail.They think its because of the download speed.....lol

Well, MTNL limits upload speed to 256kbit/s on all plans, it seems. When I have Skype video conversations with my wife, her camera is excellent quality, but the picture I receive is usually not so good and quite choppy, whereas my camera is awful but her picture is smooth because I have over 5mbit/s upload speed.

anyways,i wanted to know how much approx it cost you to lay 7.5 lakh KM fiber across the nation as you said before

It varies. There is plenty of perfectly good backhaul fiber all over India, so we don't mind using that so much.

It's just the awful, awful quality of the last mile, which is pretty much 100% copper except for Beam Telecom's FTTB network in Hyderabad, so that part we are definitely fixing.

We probably only need about 3-4,000km of last-mile fiber in a city the size of Mumbai: that would be an average of 5 fibers per square kilometer, which means hopefully no-one will be more than 200m from availability. Of course, in Mumbai, that costs many crores.

just curious cause i read an article today saying government has laid out 5 lakh KM of fiber across nation for Rs.18,000 crore

Is that all? Let's buy 3. Obviously laying fiber in the middle of nowhere Uttar Pradesh is way cheaper than any of the major centres.

the major drawback for me in taking your connection would be Prepaid payment and that you don't have a fixed contention ratio of 1:8 or lower like most others

We're not a DSL network, so contention doesn't *really* apply to us, but I believe I did explain in another thread https://broadband.forum/broadband-india/57888-new-broadband-service-provider/3/#post392886 that at the border of our network it works out to not more than about 5:1. Within the network its not more than 1:2.67, or about 0.375:1.

also you taking alot of time.Already people are offering 2mbps unlimited for Rs.2000 and by the year end could go to 4mbps under Rs.3000 fully unlimited.

In my country, we have a saying. Well 2. 1. "Good things take time". 2. "If you want something done properly, you have to do it yourself".

And whenever you will launch other big entities will compete which will make it a tougher choice

So be it. Imagine how the situation would be if there were no competition.

In my country, we have a saying. Well 2. 1. "Good things take time". 2. "If you want something done properly, you have to do it yourself".

haha.

More FUP examples:

fair use policy | orange - quite reasonable, IMHO, and the kind of FUP we are leaning towards:
What will happen if my use is very high?
If you only occasionally have very high usage, we're unlikely to be concerned. If it is happening regularly, we may either have to reduce the transmission speed of your broadband while we continue to keep an eye on your usage, or suspend your service and/or possibly close your account.
BT Broadband – Unlimited UK broadband internet connection for less **FUP on Phone Usage
Broadband - Terms & Conditions - O2
https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/beunlimited

Fair Usage Broadband - The Truth About 'Fair Usage' Broadband

Orange's FUP seems pretty harsh, they not only reduce the speed but could also suspend or cancel the net connection itself. Atleast Airtel only reduces the speed that too only for rest of the month.

mmm you are forgetting the fact that airtel would probably do the same if a customer is being a pain in the ass. it is within their rights to refuse service to any customer. orange is just stating it clearly in the said document.

mmm you are forgetting the fact that airtel would probably do the same if a customer is being a pain in the ass. it is within their rights to refuse service to any customer. orange is just stating it clearly in the said document.

It should be stated in the paperwork that you sign when you subscribe to any provider, possibly on the back of the form.

In most of the paperwork I've seen it's been there anyway.

@MgC .. All the best to you.. I really want ISP that give fierce competition to MTNL/AirTel. Come to Delhi NCR & rock it over.. Target Noida/Gurgaon/South Delhi specially.. I want to see you rock n roll in coming days.. I really appreciate your time & efforts! Just few suggestions: 1) Make the call centre number TOLL FREE. Divide customer care & Technical deptt. separately2) Divide plans by unlimited only as hardly in India people use limited plans unless there is no option!Like 1Mbps for 700/- (inc tax) P.M. 2 Mbps for 1000/- (inc tax) " 5 Mbps for 1500/- (inc tax) " 10 Mbps for 2000/- (inc tax) " 20 Mbps for 3000/- (inc tax) " 50 Mbps for 5000/- (inc tax) " 100 Mbps for 7000/- (inc tax) "* Prices are just for references * NO hidden charges * NO FUP * NO T&C apply3) Advertise to the maximum level, hoardings ,posters,pamphlets,banners.. each n every manner.. I want that people,even though they satisfied with their present ISP are forced to join Hayai.-----I want HAYAI should hit DELHI NCR completely by the end of 2010 & bombard Airtel/MTNL---Any inputs will be highly appreciated !

hope it does't take too much that you don't ever come up

hope it does't take too much that you don't ever come up

LOL. No... this week problems are melting away like ice-cream on a Mumbai pavement. The past few days have been quite exciting for us... well, mostly me, but you know 🙂

LOL. No... this week problems are melting away like ice-cream on a Mumbai pavement. The past few days have been quite exciting for us... well, mostly me, but you know 🙂

so you can come up in how much time,any projections?

We reward users who recruit new customers though.
how?
Hey hey one more thing. If as you said in this thread that it costs you the same to deliver 300 GB at 5 mbps and 100 mbps then why are not all plans 100 mbps ? Is it that you fear the usage will increase too high ?

Status
Not open for further replies.