Have to upgrade Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 8

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 80
  • Views Views 6,121
Thats pretty much the reason for not using such services till now. I feel I can get common stuff from the original sources & personal stuff, I consider as too sensitive to upload & keep in 3rd party services (I know gmail etc may have some data of mine), but somehow hesitant to these services till now.

you can always encrypt? i am a big fan of cloud services as i believe it is safer than keeping backups on external drives. sis-in-law just lost tons of photos of niece on her portable hard drive which is malfunctioning now. i have been telling her to start using flickr/picasa/Dropbox/etc for a very long time now. :\

Yes, even I feel downloading a copy yourself is the safest option. Considering that sabir and I got different MD5 values, it could be that MS is generating a unique file for everyone (unlikely though).@Sabir: Just out of curiosity, what's the exact size of your ISO?For me, Size: 2,165,309,440 bytes

Valid, maybe now I will think about it.. But uploading regularly etc is a hassle. I have written Dos scripts, so my dad takes backup with click of an icon now (executable .bat files) on a monthly basis on pen/external, another logical drive etc

depends. last week when i was at cousin's place. i showed my nephew google drive. he was practically amazed at the features of the service. i just told him to start using google drive folder as his my documents folder. this way all his data is automatically backed up online as soon as he makes ANY change in any of the files in that folder. no need to remember anything. and all of this is also accessible to him on his phone on the move. from where he can mail/view his project files. of course, if you want to encrypt the stuff, things are a bit more complicated. 😀 i am not sure how services like truecrypt works. but i imagine you can create a truecrypt volume inside the cloud service's folder and use it in real time?

Let me see it in a day or two... going to sleep now.. I got up at 3 AM yesterday

😀 these days i sleep more than i am up. i like to believe it is because of winters. but frankly, it is my body that is giving up 😀

wow. even this number seems to be unique on the internet. what is going on! 😱

is microsoft creating a unique iso file for each upgrade? :\

When I formatted my system with win 8, because a few apps working on my other system would just refuse to work here, eg, tunein etc, windows could not get activated. I tried it twice with same result. This system was activated before the format and i was using the same download file saved. I had used this file for my other system with a different key.

Then going thru their help i realised that you have to have a earlier version of windows already installed as this is an upgrade version. So had to install win 7 and the win 8 over it. Everything worked fine after that. Though I did not activate the win 7 when i installed it.

So I don't think there is any unique download for everyone.

ok. someone posted the torrent file for the retail iso of windows 8 32bit. downloading it now. any idea how i can use it to upgrade an existing windows vista installation? 😀

Just burning it to a disk & running off it should work. Or let it run from within Vista, its should upgrade. But you are likely to loose applications, and you would need to reinstall them & better back up data as well.

BC. The torrent is so freaking slow. 😀 Dumping the idea again.as for the machine. it is fantastic. the only thing uncle uses is internet explorer and google chrome 😀i am thinking using my 64bit copy and install it from scratch. 😀

If it does support 64-bit and no data to worry about. Then I dont see why you need to worry at all. You can probably just format and use the 64-bit disk.

it is a Sony vaio laptop. two problems... it has just 2GB RAM. also... from what i have heard, upgrade edition iso tends to give issues if the OS is not installed already.also, it would be impossible to find out where uncle has stored the few files he stores on the laptop. i mean he has had this laptop for a couple of years now. but he still does not understand the concept of folders and files. so he basically follow steps written on paper based on what i show him and follow those steps to access files. :\he likes the sony vaio website as his homepage because it looks pretty. likes to use IE even though i tell him to stick with chrome because it exists on the machine and why waste it? i think i made a mistake telling him about windows 8. :\

ok. someone posted the torrent file for the retail iso of windows 8 32bit. downloading it now.

any idea how i can use it to upgrade an existing windows vista installation? 😀

You will have to run the setup from within vista, but before that you will have to buy the key for which windows makes you to run an upgrade check anyways. So after the purchase goes the ugh just cancel the installer and run the setup from your iso. That should work fine. Your files from vista will be tossed, so backup everything beforehand., but i don't need to tell u that.