Have any one 'burned in' their earphones/headphones and found a difference?

• Thread starter Thread starter Nishant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 2,465

Nishant

Staff member
ISP
Jetway FTTH, BSNL FTTH
Someone has gifted me a Soundmagic MP21 in ear earphones, which claim to be a very good pair of earphones. But I don't feel the output upto the mark. Was browsing the internet for this issue when I stumbled upon the process called 'burn in'. Some say it works wonders while some say it's just a placebo effect.

Have anyone here done it and found a difference?

Headphone 'Burn In' FAQ

it usually changes the sound quality for high end earphones. just keep a few tracks on repeat mode for say 24hrs. mp21 isn't exactly the best headphones out there so u won't get the best quality anyways. if u r looking for some awesome stuff try brainwavz m2 or m3. its the best bang for the buck. abt 3k for m2 and 5k for m3. miles beyond what soundmagic can offer.

it usually changes the sound quality for high end earphones. just keep a few tracks on repeat mode for say 24hrs. mp21 isn't exactly the best headphones out there so u won't get the best quality anyways. if u r looking for some awesome stuff try brainwavz m2 or m3. its the best bang for the buck. abt 3k for m2 and 5k for m3. miles beyond what soundmagic can offer.

Well, I can't expect more from a product of 1k. But I'm not getting a descent bass which it claims to give. Anyway I'll burn in for 50 hours with white noise and pink noise and hope it will improve.

All Bullcrap 1337 speak from Audiophiles!!I have owned some high end phones like Sennheiser IE8 and HD650 as well as AKG K705s. They simply don't change sound in any way. Burn-in is just a way for disappointed Audiophiles in justifying expensive purchase to their guilt.If you are not satisfied with the sound, you will never be.The only chances you may start to like sound:1. A decent portable amp which makes your existing earphones work up to their full potential2. Your brain Burns-in to the sound and you get used to it.3. If you stop treating your music listening experience as Wine Tasting session.

I have to agree. I bought a pair of American Audio headphones and put them on 12 hours of burn in. they still sound the same. friggin time waste.

I have done burn-in several times, it has shown massive development in sound quality. Although 12hours won't do sh!t. I had a Philips headphone rs650 which sounded absolute crap when used just after unpacking, at first few hours of burning didn't show any improvement, so I did a massive burn-in of 5 days (with several breaks for cool-down).. And boy now the crappy headphone sounds like a champ, I couldn't believe how good it has got now 🙂 So I can say that burn-in for long hours with several breaks at about 50-65% volume would do great. Play Pink/White Noise for good results, there are softwares that would help in the procedure too 😉

Well, my MP21 are in the process of burn in since 2nd May night. I'm using pink noise and white noise with some intervals in between. Let's see how it goes.

Well, my MP21 are in the process of burn in since 2nd May night. I'm using pink noise and white noise with some intervals in between. Let's see how it goes.

Do the frequency sweep too, you are using the burnin wave generator software, right? and also remember to do reserve 10hours of special music collection of all types 😉 Burn-in for atleast 50hours to see atleast noticeable difference..

Do the frequency sweep too, you are using the burnin wave generator software, right? and also remember to do reserve 10hours of special music collection of all types 😉 Burn-in for atleast 50hours to see atleast noticeable difference..

Naah. I just extracted the mp3 from the swf available at JLabaudio and playing it through ipod in repeat mode. The mp3 file has both the noises with a gap in between. Will be adding some music later today to the playlist.

I'm aware of Burnin wave generator. I don't want to keep the PC on for such a long time thereby increasing my power bill. I found the above method easier and economical.

I had a Philips headphone rs650 which sounded absolute crap when used just after unpacking, at first few hours of burning didn't show any improvement, so I did a massive burn-in of 5 days (with several breaks for cool-down).. And boy now the crappy headphone sounds like a champ, I couldn't believe how good it has got now 🙂 So I can say that burn-in for long hours with several breaks at about 50-65% volume would do great. Play Pink/White Noise for good results, there are softwares that would help in the procedure too 😉

LMAO The foam on the headphones looses its elasticity and this brings the headphone driver nearer to your eardrum. This causes slight change in sound as some frequencies appear boosted. Whatever!!

LMAO The foam on the headphones looses its elasticity and this brings the headphone driver nearer to your eardrum. This causes slight change in sound as some frequencies appear boosted. Whatever!!

Definitely not. Movement of driver cannot show as much as 5x or even more improvement, now can it?

Well, it was a waste for me. Burned in for 50+ hours and not even a slight change in sound quality. I guess as sanke1 said, its just a myth, and more like a placebo effect.