Hathway slow torrent download speed

ISP
Hathway
Hi,

Today I took the Hathway 100mbps 100 GB plan. As per speed test I am getting good speeds but when I am downloading something with torrents its giving speeds of just 500-900 kbps. I have tried multiple torrents with multiple seeders/peers but the result is same. Is Hathway blocking torrent download speeds? Is someone else facing this issue? Please advice whether to continue with Hathway or choose some other ISP.

Thank you

try with a popular torrent like the latest ubuntu iso.
you can also test with a paid VPN (some services provide 2-3 day demo) and see if you get higher speed through a vpn on the same torrent.

Ubuntu iso a torrent client? I have tried using NordVPN as well but the speeds doesn't change. Any other fix or shall I switch to some other ISP since I have only taken 1 month of subscription.

No issues with torrents on my end. Getting solid 50 Mbps on the Ubuntu ISO.

Not sure whether router is the issue. Same router with same settings worked well for Act. Which router are you using? and any specific settings that you can highlight.

@Sandeep Paul - Pardon me for asking a dumb question, but do the torrents you're trying to download have enough seeders, because most torrents uploaded by Indians have terrible speeds anyways. Try D/Ling something with at least a few hundred seeders and wait for a few minutes before deciding that you're not getting enough speed.

I'm on Hathway's 10Mbps plan in Kolkata, using it for almost six months (thinking of upgrading to 50Mbps once my subscription comes up for renewal). I get around 1MB/s (8Mbps) on my torrents most of the time. Direct D/Ls also hover around the 8-9Mbps mark for the most part. Which city are you in? If you're in Kolkata, you can read my detailed review here. 🙂

P.S. - T*P*B and other 'piracy' sites are DNS blocked, though. Such a futile exercise LOL. 😀

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. If you read few posts above I have already checked the torrent download speed with Ubuntu iso which has a lot of seeders. I was only getting max 900 kbps speed when I subscribed for a 100 mbps connection. I would expect atleast a 50 mbps download speed. I was a regular user of ACT and never faced this kind of issue.