Hathway router problem?

• Thread starter Thread starter Bingobean
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 16,004
ISP
Hathway
Hey guys first of all im new to this forum.
So I've installed hathway broadband in Chennai yesterday. My plan is 150 mbps 1000gb.
I got a zte router, when it is connected to the pc i get constant 150+mbps download and 80+ upload but on wifi even if i stand next to the router i get maximum 50 mbps in my phone. I don't know what the reason is, I'm thinking this is because of the router. I'll try to upload some pics. Please if some one could help me out that'd be great.

Pictures link

Source

phone can be culprit too if they support only single n stream. what phone ?
router connected in n300 mode?

I dont understand what you mean by that. And I'm using a OnePlus 3 and i even tried speed test from my friends phone and it was similar (slower than pc).

You are comparing WiFi with Ethernet (Since in most cases you would connect PC with LAN Cable rather than WiFi).

You should do one thing.

Get a Laptop which has WiFi and Ethernet both.

Now, First do the speed test on WiFi.

Then, Do the speed test on Ethernet.

Yes, You should stand as near as possible to the router (Hathway Modem).

You will have your answer.

In most cases, it's not the device (Laptop/Mobile), it's the Router itself which has certain power to transmit the signal and the data over it.

I was facing similar issues but bit weird.

So LAN is always has upper hand on WiFi.

Now the reason, Why it is happening?

1. Router is not good. You can check out buying Asus's Long Antenna Router for better Speed and Signal (I'm using this Source)

Buy this only if it comes from Amazon Prime .

2. Too much of Noise and congestion. (Nearby Cordless, Too many WiFi in the same places such as Flats, Society etc).

I am speaking it from my 1 year of experience of this same issue.

P.S.: I'm using WiFi since 2009 or so though.

First of all thanks for the reply and yes I'm a bit familiar that ethernet will be faster than wifi. But in this case in wifi i'm getting less than 1/3 of the ethernet speed. Even i had the doubt that the router is less powerful and maybe it is. I will most probably complain to hathway first. And PS. That router which you suggested is a bit pricy anything pocket friendly available to support the fibre net connection?

Hey. If you have Android, Instal WiFi Ana and see which channels are less occupied and then move to the less occupied one.

You can try channel 1 also.

Also, I personally recommend Asus but mind telling me your budget so that I could recommend better?

Hathway knows nothing about it. You can give it a try but they hardly would do is modem restart.

Good luck though.

Lan vs WiFi can be 1/5 also.

Let me know the budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya learnt something about channels from google and switched it to 7 still har no difference at all. I tried connecting my adls2 airtel router to use it as a extender so atleast i can increase my range but i couldn't do that wirelessly as the router didn't have wds. So i guess i created a access point(not sure). Kept same channel and name for both router and connected both the router via lan cable. I did that cause the zte router gave very very poor coverage even though having those 2 antennas(maybe gimmicks). But the airtel binatone besides looking like a box without any antenna gave a decent coverage. And PS. I would like to know any router around 1.5k.

Hi. I think your knowledge towards the setup and networking is pretty limited.

You made multiple mistakes up there with the setup.

You shouldn't use same WiFi names and same channels for two routers.

What's your House Area for better advices.

Though, I am mentioning some below:

1 Source

2 Source

You will have good range and signal strength.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i agree i'm not familiar with networking but i did that after seeing some videos on youtube and after reading some guides.
PS. Thanks for the suggestions.