Hathway Internet! Works great for me!

A

abdulrahman004

whats the difference between cable and LAN...Arent both cat5/e wires going into the LAN card ?

Suraj

Regular
Regulars
well....its not a dedicated one like DSL.no difference, its the same as we have in sify. You can have a nice look at your neighbours drives if you want to.:)

pawanrh

Regular
Regulars
from hathway's website:
Hathway's Cable Internet brings you secure & stable Internet service. It is based on DOCSIS (Data Over Cable Services Interface Specifications) protocol, which provides a level of security equal to or better than that provided by dedicated-line network access services, like the telephone, ISDN or DSL.[/b]

It is NOT the same as LAN! There is a Cable Modem! A Co-Axial Cable (Similar to TV Cable, but thicker) is plugged into this Modem! The modem is connected to the computer thru either LAN card or USB Port! This is Safe! Atleast theres nothin like seeing your neighbours' drives since only your modem is on your computers LAN!

And though its not a dedicated line, We do get speeds as promised since its about distributing the Bandwidth Appropriately! If it doesn't give good speeds you have the right to ask for it! For that matter, speeds reduce drastically on DSL lines as distance from the exchange increases!

Cable Internet Services are the most popular around the world for igh speed connections! They are preffered over DSL for 1MBps+ Lines!

pawanrh

Regular
Regulars
Originally posted by Sushubh@Aug 20 2005, 04:52 AM
cable is definitely not good.
[snapback]22297[/snapback]
[/quote]

Why do you say its not good! I really find no fault with it as yet!

Suraj

Regular
Regulars
good for ya....since they provide it thru a switch in my area. They have huge downtimes here.

pawanrh

Regular
Regulars
Actually Speaking, the cable they drop in at our houses for Cable TV has a very high bandwidth, in GigaBits/s! All that we use for internet is KBits, Atleast abroad they use it in Multi Mbps..

For those interested about this technology,

http://www.hathway.com/bci/faq3.htm#other

pawanrh

Regular
Regulars
Originally posted by Suraj@Aug 20 2005, 11:16 AM
good for ya....since they provide it thru a switch in my area. They have huge downtimes here.
[snapback]22324[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thats a Sad thing! Its only supposed to be provided that way in Business Environments! That would be highly insecure for a home PC!

blr_p

Regulars
Regulars
Originally posted by pawanrh+Aug 19 2005, 08:24 PM-->QUOTE(pawanrh @ Aug 19 2005, 08:24 PM)
blr_p: this is for u!
3. Your Problems on clicking on a virus/trojan file are neither mine nor your ISPs.. Its yours. If your so uneducated about them, nobody can help.. this is Common to all ISPs.. Remember this is a comparison. None of them blocks ur 'clicks' on such files.
[/b]
I know this, i posted that assuming you thought your 6 firewalls would protect you from such. If you are aware..then good.

Originally posted by pawanrh@Aug 19 2005, 08:24 PM
4. Cables could be hanging since its Cable Internet, not DSL, but so are other operators' wires! If u are so concerned, in India you'll need to stick to Dial up!
Airtel (Bharti) does everything underground where they can. Tata does as well (at least on my street). Since my last isp was always having their main link severed for whatever reason, i was quite averse to this. And it's fibre that got cut, not as easy/quick to splice as other cables.

Also overhead cables can be a source of surges either through lightning or bad earthing from the source(s) you get the conection from. This is mostly in the case of Cat-5 cables. Even tho urs is Co-ax, I'm still curious to know what precautions Hathway has taken to avert this.

It's good to know they are DOCSIS compliant as oposed to some strange proprietary way. That's the way cable isps work in the west. It's strange your upload is so slow, i don't see any reason for this to be the case.

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Regulars
Maybe this is yet another salesman, this time for Hathway, coming here to advertise in guise of a glowing review... Sushubh, I think this forum has now got the attention of the ISPs! Good, maybe some of the better ones will read our sad stories and improve services quick!Ya, his join date is Aug 18th hehe, I bet he's a salesman

blr_p

Regulars
Regulars
This was my first thought as well, let's see how they run the gauntlet ;)Would certainly like to hear from other Hathway users if this 256k plan.