Hardware for running WiFi internet service.

• Thread starter Thread starter savvy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 15,312
Hi savvy,
I have a similar desire to start my own ISP in my city. Here BSNL is the only player in Broadband. My city is spread only in 3km radius and I am planning to provide internet access through Wifi or wired cable wherever possible. Though I have a little knowledge of networking, I know, I will have to take some Bandwidth from BSNL and spread my network infra. but How is the question.
How much bandwidth will be required for 200 users each with 512kbps unlimited plan.
What softwares and Hardware will be needed to implement this and many such question.
I found your question very similar to mine, so I thought u cud help me as you might be running your wireless ISP successfully by this time..

click2connect said:
If you still require any further clarifications for the same, you can contact me..
I run a similar set up in Chennai
Hi Click2Connect,
I have a similar desire to start my own ISP in my city. Here BSNL is the only player in Broadband. My city is spread only in 3km radius and I am planning to provide internet access through Wifi or wired cable wherever possible. Though I have a little knowledge of networking, I know, I will have to take some Bandwidth from BSNL and spread my network infra. but How is the question.
How much bandwidth will be required for 200 users each with 512kbps unlimited plan.
What softwares and Hardware will be needed to implement this, initial setup cost and many such question.
Can you guide me about all this things, reply me in this forum or mail me at veeeruu@gmail.com

i a newbie here. in my quest to look out for WISP franchisee here in delhi i called up few ISP's... vodafone guy called me up and told me that they can provide frachisee provided my location is done with survey from their side... right now i m waiting for the surveyor.... will update u guys the moment survey is done.

there are few doubts in my mind... but may be in due course of time i will start throwing up questions 🙂

^^ interesting keep us updated.

ok... got reply from two guys who claim to setup WISP .
for a radius of 3 kms ... charges will be bit less ( but not known exactly how much )
for a radius of 5 kms WISP coverage they r charging around more or less same amount i.e 4.5 lakhs...
it includes following :

100 Mtr tower setup ( includes installing n transportation )
4 transmitter sort of things dint remmember their names.. sorry will post the exact quotes once i am in ma office.
2 PC Windows
2 Server Linux
UPS
Cables n connectors
User end modules
Software to log ip addresses . user creation/deletion
10 mbps line which can be divided in 1:8 ratio it will cost around 22K/ month.

I am using this type of network in Mayur Vihar Phase III. I have a AirGrid M5 antenna. Connection is very smooth and the latency and ping are very good.