Harddisk Info. Help! Urgent

• Thread starter Thread starter Lokesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 5,921
I am not advertising but.....you all share strange prices of HDDI usually sell(keeping a marginal profit, you can't hide that)Seagate 80gb barracuda for 2200 INRSamsung 80gb 7200 rpm for 2050 INR

QUOTE(blr_p @ May 27 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]52426[/snapback]
You OS is installed on the slower drive, should have moved it when u got the 80GB one. Anyway, if you go in for a larger drive make sure you shift the OS to the fastest drive which will most likely be a 7200RPM drive. To transfer your OS, it is very simple if you had norton/symantec ghost , make image of OS partition and save on the 80GB HD and then restore from it to the new dirve. Done! I'm not aware of any other free program that can do similar, i discovered ghost many yrs ago and did not bother to look for an alternative.

Is windows installed on the First paritition of that drive ?

The first partition is usually slighlty faster than the rest since you are reading from the outer area of the drive. Understand here, when i speak about fast, i'm talking about time it takes to read anything off the hD, once that's done, its your CPU & memory that take over from there. Faster drives, generally speaking means OS+apps load slightly faster *NOT* that once loaded they will run faster 😉
[/b]
using ghost is fine, but have win98 on first partition of samsung(40gb)-primary drive
and win xp on logical disk (D drive).
so, the drive letter changing would matter or not? or edit win98 boot.ini???

QUOTE(blr_p @ May 27 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]52426[/snapback]

its surprising that your windows partition is the slowest of all the other paritions on the same HD.

I'm not so impressed with your seagate performance, it should be close to double if your PC is able to handle UDMA-5.
[/b]

well, if u have 5mins(or even less) of free time, why not give pcpitstop.com a try and post the result here!
just for comparison sake! 🙂

transfer rate for seagate shud be >54MB/s ?????????????

QUOTE(lokesh18 @ May 27 2006, 10:13 PM) [snapback]52485[/snapback]
using ghost is fine, but have win98 on first partition of samsung(40gb)-primary drive
and win xp on logical disk (D drive).
so, the drive letter changing would matter or not? or edit win98 boot.ini???
[/b]
Whichever OS you use the most needs to be on the first partition. From what you said i would assume this is win98. What are you trying to achieve with drive letter changing. Seems you have a dual boot system.

QUOTE(lokesh18 @ May 27 2006, 10:13 PM) [snapback]52485[/snapback]
well, if u have 5mins(or even less) of free time, why not give pcpitstop.com a try and post the result here!
just for comparison sake! 🙂

transfer rate for seagate shud be >54MB/s ?????????????
[/b]
Hmm, that site seems like a informercial for diskeeper, which tool exactly did you use test HD speeds, all i see are internet only tools available. My server does not go onto the net, so if there is some tool that can be run locally i can use that.

There are better tools out there for this sort of thing. Ones that are used in reviews for hardware, i suggest you give those a try as well. I'll let other members comment on which they are.

QUOTE(kambui @ May 27 2006, 03:30 PM) [snapback]52450[/snapback]
I am not advertising but.....you all share strange prices of HDD
I usually sell(keeping a marginal profit, you can't hide that)
Seagate 80gb barracuda for 2200 INR
Samsung 80gb 7200 rpm for 2050 INR
[/b]

Are these prices valin in Mumbai? And how much gurranty/warranry does these HDDs carry?

QUOTE(blr_p @ May 28 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]52522[/snapback]
Whichever OS you use the most needs to be on the first partition. From what you said i would assume this is win98. What are you trying to achieve with drive letter changing. Seems you have a dual boot system.
Hmm, that site seems like a informercial for diskeeper, which tool exactly did you use test HD speeds, all i see are internet only tools available. My server does not go onto the net, so if there is some tool that can be run locally i can use that.

There are better tools out there for this sort of thing. Ones that are used in reviews for hardware, i suggest you give those a try as well. I'll let other members comment on which they are.
[/b]

FreshDiagnose stats for:
seagate 80gb barracuda (ATA-UDMA-5 enabled)
write=32.37MB/s (for seagate SATA 7200rpm shows= 30.11MB/s)
read=18.97MB/s (for seagate SATA 7200rpm shows= 44.88MB/s)

samsung 40gb (ATA-UDMA-5 enabled)
write=14.85MB/s (for seagate SATA 7200rpm shows= 30.11MB/s)
read=27.37MB/s (for seagate SATA 7200rpm shows= 44.88MB/s)

QUOTE(netfreak @ May 28 2006, 07:10 PM) [snapback]52548[/snapback]
Are these prices valin in Mumbai? And how much gurranty/warranry does these HDDs carry?
[/b]

Can't say ....But in kolkata this is the price.......

Yes Max Seagate harddisk comes with ......5 years limited warranty
Samsung gives 3 yrs

hey it's a nice software and i was able to verify the speeds of my HD's.they were the same as in the results shown on their page for my hard-disk.thanx buddy for the link and helping me out!