• Thread starter Thread starter Lokesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 5,920

Lokesh

Regulars
ISP
Trib 649_Combo
i had planned to buy a sata disk or something 2 upgrade my pc(intel D845GE desktop board)was told that it only supports ata/100.is there any software to tell wat all formats(like SATA, ATA, serial ATA, etc,etc) supported by the pc?please reply, it's urgent! can someone tell me the best harddisk ( with gud speed, and light on pocket) supported by my motherboard.thanx

Well SATA is a connector format, so you have to open your PC and see if it has SATA ports. ..hardware thingie my dear!!No software may help( there may be some s/w ..but what the heck!..) Also you can check in device manager, if any mention about SATA Controller is there or not.BTW I think the 845 thing is quite old system , and 99% it does not support SATA .Just buy a Seagate Hard Disk, 160GB , Pata (or IDE as its known) . Will come for around 3400 bux.

nahur mobo does not support sata n der is no card or soft that can enable sata supportgo for ataor upgrade ur mobogo for seagate baracuda 7200rpm good160gb sud cost u bot 3.5 sumtin

yeah that's the price... too bad i end up purchasing a 80 gig hdd for 2400 coz 160 was out of stock at my PC guy and i was in a hurry... 🙁

Go for a seagate 250GB Barracuda, similar price in terms of Rs/GB and more is usually better than less, giving more meaning to the term SIZE matters 🙂. In terms of performance or good, there is no such thing, these large drives are ok, if they are used in personal PCs. For these low prices, you have to make sure you back stuff up. What i do is buy dbl the Hds i use and sync to them on a monthly basis.There is one pottential problem with large HDs and old PCs. Namely that the BIOS will refuse to see more than 137GB, or LBA 48 problem. Now my pC is 5 yrs old and i set the HD to Auto-Detect in the BIOS. Since i use winXP SP2, the OS detects the HD correctly and i can use it to its rated capacity even tho the BIOS does not see more than 137GB. Not important as windows manages communications to the HD and bypasses BIOS when its up & running. Allowing me to add 3(or 4)x250GB but i also need the dvd-writer. Make sure that the partition you install Windows on is less than 137GB or just use the large HD as a slave for data storage and keep your original HD. If you use the larger HD for windows as well, windows will start up slightly faster as larger drives pack data in more densely and cosequently read more at the same RPM than smaller HDs.If the above does not work the max size HD you can use is a 120GB one unless you install a HD controller card in which case you can add SATA too if it supports it. Make sure the guy you buy from will allow you to switch to a smaller HD in case of a problem. Getting a controller card (promise) has been difficult o find here so i got a relative to pick one up from the US, < Rs.2k.Since your comp most likely has PATA connectors, the biggest drive you can atttach to it is the 400GB IDE one but at Rs.10k/piece its not worth the money right now. SATA1 offers 150MB/s vs your ata100 or UDMA5 that your HD currently offers. Not so interesting IMO, SATA2 is 300MB/s. If the 250GBs work, you could potentially have about 950GB at your disposal in your current PC, not worth getting a new PC just for that i think.My comp only has max UDMA4 (66MB/s) even older than yours and working great with 2x250Gb Seagates atm.

QUOTE(blr_p @ May 24 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]52153[/snapback]
Go for a seagate 250GB Barracuda...
[/b]

How much does it cost now a days?

QUOTE(aniketvb @ May 22 2006, 11:42 PM) [snapback]52062[/snapback]
BTW I think the 845 thing is quite old system , and 99% it does not support SATA .
Just buy a Seagate Hard Disk, 160GB , Pata (or IDE as its known) . Will come for around 3400 bux.
[/b]

ya current disk is pata!
wat speeds shud i be gettin rite now( in this config: p4 2.4ghz, 4*133mhz fsb,etc)
am gettin only 25MB/s transfer rate.

QUOTE(blr_p @ May 24 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]52153[/snapback]
Go for a seagate 250GB Barracuda.............................
..................................... , not worth getting a new PC just for that i think.

My comp only has max UDMA4 (66MB/s) even older than yours and working great with 2x250Gb Seagates atm.
[/b]

well that's quite some info. and am reading and re-reading it to understand it ALL BETTER. 🙂
thanx for the info. 🙂

Well with a p4 i can say you dont have to worry about HD's > 120GBs working in your machine.

..where did u get the 25MB/s figure from ?
with your setup it should be much faster, 5 times faster, i think ur machine can support UDMA-6 or 133MB/s HDs.

my first guess would be to check the IDE cables are 80conductor as opposed to 40 conductor as they will restict your speeds to UDMA-2 or 33MB/s (sounds close to your figure)

if you dont know the diff, look at yours first then go to a shop and ask them to show you the 2 cables. 80 conductor cables have twice the amt of wires compared to 40 and are very closely spaced. Another way is to see the colour of the two ends, usually the end that plugs into the mobo is blue. 40 wil be black on both ends.

Standard (40-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables

Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables

QUOTE(blr_p @ May 25 2006, 12:46 AM) [snapback]52230[/snapback]
..where did u get the 25MB/s figure from ?
with your setup it should be much faster, 5 times faster, i think ur machine can support UDMA-6 or 133MB/s HDs.
[/b]

well the figure was from pcpitstop.com

used sandra 2007 LITE to check again after reading your post and the result was:

test conducted: physical disks benchmark
drive: samsung SV4012H (ATA)
test: Read performance
values returned--> drive index=32MB/s and Random access time= 15ms

test: write performance
values: perhaps later as the disk is full 🙂

QUOTE(blr_p @ May 25 2006, 12:46 AM) [snapback]52230[/snapback]

[/b]

intel application accele. shows support till UDMA-5.
can updating the drivers (of motherboard) help???? how to tell which drivers to install(i.e. where can i get the updated drivers!) 🙂

QUOTE(lokesh18 @ May 25 2006, 07:40 PM) [snapback]52294[/snapback]
intel application accele. shows support till UDMA-5.
[/b]
What does IntelAA show for
Current Transfer Mode
Cable Type (Host)

of each device attached ?

QUOTE(blr_p @ May 25 2006, 09:23 PM) [snapback]52309[/snapback]
What does IntelAA show for
Current Transfer Mode
Cable Type (Host)

of each device attached ?
[/b]

udma-5 & 80 conductor for harddisk
and udma-2 40 conductor for the dvd-rom and cd-riter (can 80 conductor be used for these too for good speeds?)

got seagate barracuda 7200rpm 80GB just now.- shows data val at 50MB/s (samsung shows 32MB/s)
will test at pcpitstop too for transfer rates and post it! 🙂

while at it please check out:
http://www.broadbandforum.co/index.php?showtopic=5074
this is about RAM prob. please!

QUOTE(lokesh18 @ May 25 2006, 10:38 PM) [snapback]52314[/snapback]
udma-5 & 80 conductor for harddisk
and udma-2 40 conductor for the dvd-rom and cd-riter (can 80 conductor be used for these too for good speeds?)
[/b]
Well those values are correct then, you have 80 conductors for ur HDs.

You won't be able to change the 40 conductor speeds for your optical writers as thats the max speed they will run at. You mention dvd-rom & cd-writer, are these 2 seperate units ?

I'm going to assume 80GB HD is master, dvd-rom/cd-writer is slave on the primary. If so try to run the HD speed test with the writer disconnected (just pull the power cable on it) and post back. Leave the HD as the only item on the primary channel.

IDE channels usually run at the speed of the slowest item in the chain, in this case the cd-writer which is only UDMA-2 can have an effect on your HD speed if its on the same channel as well. Thing is you are running IAA which is supposed to counteract this effect, so i would be surprised if this makes a difference. If it does have an effect then check whether you have the latest IAA and run the test again. OR just shift the writer to the secondary channel and be done.

Process of ellimination 🙂

QUOTE(blr_p @ May 26 2006, 01:00 AM) [snapback]52331[/snapback]
You mention dvd-rom & cd-writer, are these 2 seperate units ?

[/b]

ya

I'm going to assume 80GB HD is master, dvd-rom/cd-writer is slave on the primary. If so try to run the HD speed test with the writer disconnected (just pull the power cable on it) and post back. Leave the HD as the only item on the primary channel.

[/b]

well i no hardware guy and am scared of damaging my unit 😀

IDE channels usually run at the speed of the slowest item in the chain, in this case the cd-writer which is only UDMA-2 can have an effect on your HD speed if its on the same channel as well. Thing is you are running IAA which is supposed to counteract this effect, so i would be surprised if this makes a difference. If it does have an effect then check whether you have the latest IAA and run the test again. OR just shift the writer to the secondary channel and be done.
[/b]

well chked bios:
primary ide master: samsung 40gb (5400rpm i think 🙂 )
primary ide slave: seagate 80gb( 7200rpm)---for storage purpose
secondary ide master: cd-riter
secondary ide slave: dvd-rom

wat is IAA?(application accele?)

latest stats from pcpitstop:
samsung 40gb: the partition where win Xp is installed(D: drive) = 14MB/s
other partitions on this(samsung) showed 22MB/sec and 16MB/s 🙁
while the seagate partitions showed a good 50MB/sec( average of 51,49,50)

will defrag and microsoft bootvis help?

QUOTE(lokesh18 @ May 27 2006, 10:08 AM) [snapback]52415[/snapback]
well chked bios:
primary ide master: samsung 40gb (5400rpm i think 🙂 )
primary ide slave: seagate 80gb( 7200rpm)---for storage purpose
secondary ide master: cd-riter
secondary ide slave: dvd-rom
[/b]
You OS is installed on the slower drive, should have moved it when u got the 80GB one. Anyway, if you go in for a larger drive make sure you shift the OS to the fastest drive which will most likely be a 7200RPM drive. To transfer your OS, it is very simple if you had norton/symantec ghost , make image of OS partition and save on the 80GB HD and then restore from it to the new dirve. Done! I'm not aware of any other free program that can do similar, i discovered ghost many yrs ago and did not bother to look for an alternative.

There is no need to disconnect the power cable, since your optical storage is on a different channel compared to the HDs. I suggested it as i was not sure whether you had mixed both HD+optical on each channel and as a quick way to elliminate them during testing.

For future reference, you usually disconnect the units power cable before switching the PC on, there is nothing to worry about if you do it this way. Obviously don't touch it when the PC is on.

QUOTE(lokesh18 @ May 27 2006, 10:08 AM) [snapback]52415[/snapback]
wat is IAA?(application accele?)

latest stats from pcpitstop:
samsung 40gb: the partition where win Xp is installed(D: drive) = 14MB/s
other partitions on this(samsung) showed 22MB/sec and 16MB/s 🙁
while the seagate partitions showed a good 50MB/sec( average of 51,49,50)

will defrag and microsoft bootvis help?
[/b]
IAA = Intel App Accelerator

its surprising that your windows partition is the slowest of all the other paritions on the same HD.

Is windows installed on the First paritition of that drive ?

The first partition is usually slighlty faster than the rest since you are reading from the outer area of the drive. Understand here, when i speak about fast, i'm talking about time it takes to read anything off the hD, once that's done, its your CPU & memory that take over from there. Faster drives, generally speaking means OS+apps load slightly faster *NOT* that once loaded they will run faster 😉

I'm not so impressed with your seagate performance, it should be close to double if your PC is able to handle UDMA-5.