Hard disk for network

• Thread starter Thread starter arihantddn
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3,361

arihantddn

ISP
BSNL
Hey frndsi've got a soho lan cum internet network, connecting my desktop to adsl modem router via ethernet & my laptop via wireless. I want to have some kind of hard disk connected to my router (by ethernet) which can be accessible from both the computers. One more thing i want a cheapest solution.Your expert suggestions are required.Thnx n rgds

do a google search on NAS = network attached storage

Hey buddies
can any one suggest some cheap wifi adsl modem cum router or only wifi router (without adsl) which have got a usb port which can read a usb hdd. kindly help..(my budget is appx 3-4k max)
regards

EDIT: Is there anything available in india like a cheap network storage adapter which can connect usb hdd to ethernet/ router like D-Link dns 120 which i suppose have been discontinued now. also Hitachi simplenet which is not available..

----------

do a google search on NAS = network attached storage

NAS seems to b a bit too expensive option for me. suggest me some cheap solution like connecting a usb hdd to a router..

You can enable file and printer sharing so that the hard disk of one computer is accessible from others also.

You can enable file and printer sharing so that the hard disk of one computer is accessible from others also.
thats true, but i need to keep that computer on all the time, even if i dont require that. so i want some storage on lan, on which i can keep network usable data, which can be accessible from both the computers without switching on the other one.

Well I can give you one suggestion though I am not sure if you would be satisfied with it. You can use Microsoft's "SkyDrive" with which you can store 25 GB of data online under a single hotmail email account and you can access it from anywhere. And its free. Some pros and cons of the service :

PROS :
*Store 25 GB of data.
*Personalize your online drive by making as many folders as you want and organize your files accordingly.
*Its 100 % free.

CONS :
*Files need to be uploaded first before you can enjoy your online drive, so you need to have a good internet connection.
*Size of files cannot exceed 50MB which is quite frustrating.

URL : www.skydrive.live.com [You can simply sign in with your existing hotmail account and start using it.]

SkyDrive is very good if you are just dealing with documents,presentations,spreadsheets,photos and songs. Its not recommended for videos since the individual file size restriction makes you think twice.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Get this router .... which has capabulities of about 250 Gb and and uses as u r router ....

----------

I can't get u mate ....

To have an external storage u need to have an HDD first of all ... if u have it .. please mention it model ....

If u don;t have an external HDD .. the best way was to get i mentioned above ... u can get Asus route for 4-5k and an Hdd of 500 gb for 3 k ... which costs about 7-8k in total .....

----------

or see this software

USB over Ethernet - share USB device over Ethernet : USB to Ethernet Connector

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Get this router .... which has capabulities of about 250 Gb and and uses as u r router ....[COLOR=\"Silver\"]

----------

[/COLOR]I can't get u mate ....

To have an external storage u need to have an HDD first of all ... if u have it .. please mention it model ....

If u don;t have an external HDD .. the best way was to get i mentioned above ... u can get Asus route for 4-5k and an Hdd of 500 gb for 3 k ... which costs about 7-8k in total .....[COLOR=\"Silver\"]

----------

[/COLOR]or see this software

USB over Ethernet - share USB device over Ethernet : USB to Ethernet Connector
Thanks for the reply buddy. I'm also lookin for the same model asus wl 600g but its not available at my place in dehradun, and that really sucks a lot..can u provide me some details about the availablity and price..also the link to the s/w, that not available in india i suppose..

Plz confirm Asus wl600g will act as usb storage device..
No .
Use USB MEMORY CARDS. ( select the storage capacity you need )
See this website to check , what asus wl600g can do. see the diagram.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

@kanishka
Plz confirm Asus wl600g will act as usb storage device..

Yeah NOt an USB network device ... It acts as an FTP server ... .. . . . u can schedule the download and Bit-torrent ... ...

Price would be around 5-6 k

Contact RasiPeripherals ... 18002090303 http://rashiperipherals.co.in/ws/index.php

He would be able to help u that's for sure......

----------

Yeah NOt an USB network device ... It acts as an FTP server ... .. . . . u can schedule the download and Bit-torrent ... ...

Price would be around 5-6 k

Contact RasiPeripherals ... 18002090303 http://rashiperipherals.co.in/ws/index.php

He would be able to help u that's for sure......

They are the biggest imprter of ASUS into INDIA ....

i think this is nearer to u

Rashi PeriPherals Pvt.Ltd
45 Najrul Sarani,
1st Flr, Hakimpara,
Siliguri, Dist.Darjeeling,
West Bengal - 734 001.
Email:siliguri@rptechindia.com
Ph: 2525646

sorry mate i thought it was Darjeeling .... Its that site U can get the details .. . .. .

----------

1st Flr., 11, Chakrata Rd.,
Behind LIC of India Bindal Bridge,
Dehradun 248001
Email:dehradun@rptechindia.com
Ph:2722918

sorry mate i thought it was Darjeeling .... Its that site U can get the details .. . .. .

----------

1st Flr., 11, Chakrata Rd.,
Behind LIC of India Bindal Bridge,
Dehradun 248001
Email:dehradun@rptechindia.com
Ph:2722918

Thanks one more time..i'll try n get in touch with them tomorrow. BTW i called up a dealer in Delhi about WL 600G and he told me its price 16.5k, if thats the case its beyond my budget, infact D-Link 685 is a better choice in that case which is around 9.5k. that too is beyond my budget. lol..