Guide to configuring bridge mode on Airtel VDSL2

• Thread starter Thread starter cyberwiz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 40,964
Since a search on google on how to configure a modem/router combo device in bridge mode particularly for VDSL ISP's resulted in nought, i decided to write a tutorial for configuring VDSL2 modems provided by Airtel in bridge mode so that a customer can use his own router alongwith the VDSL modem.

This tutorial was necessitated by the fact that when i upgraded to VDSL on Airtel i myself had to unplug my Asus RT-AC66U router and solely depend on the binatone BT910W for the PPPoE and NAT.

To configure the binatone DT910W in bridge mode, follow the follwing steps -- (the beetel 777VR1 is identical to Binatone so these steps should work for it too)

1) Log in to the modem using default username/pwd --> admin/password
2) Click setup>>then click lan from the left handside options - make sure that the local IP is 192.168.1.1. If not change it and click Apply changes

lan_interface.jpg

3 ) Again click on setup tab then click on LAN on the left hand side options and select DHCP. Turn off the DHCP server by selecting DHCP mode as "none". Click Apply changes

LAN2.jpg

4) Now with DHCP disabled your computer will not get any IP address from the modem, so login into your network settings on the computer and assign a static IP. Use 192.168.1.10 subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway as 192.168.1.1

5) Log back into the router and again go to the setup tab click wan on left side and delete all the wan interface tables that are listed at the bottom one by one.

WAN1.jpg

6) With all the WAN interfaces deleted, on the same page go towards the top of the page and select Auto in default route selection. In the channel type select PTM, in the channel mode select bridge, scroll down and click add.

WAN2.jpg

7) After the wan interface that you just added appears in the list of wan interfaces, select it again and click the pencil icon to modify it, the next page will be like the following screenshot. Goto 802.1q and select enable, in the VLAN ID type in 100 and click apply changes. Please note that this value is for delhi ncr region and it varies for other areas.

WAN5.jpg

8) Disable wifi and reboot the modem and that should do it, as fasr as the software part is concerned

9) Now take an ethernet cable and connect the WAN port of your router to the LAN1 port of the modem, now login to your router assign it some other ip in the same subnet viz 192.168.1.2, enable DHCP and it should log on. Remember to configure your computer networking settings accordingly.

Please like this thread if it helps you.

DISCLAIMER : I have tried this configuration and its working for me, however iam not responsible if you screw up something while attempting this.

Last edited: