• Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 2,664

~Hami~

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
Govt issues notice to ESPN for DTH pricing norm violation
9 Sep, 2008

NEW DELHI: The government has issued a show-cause notice to sports broadcaster ESPN asking it explain why its downlinking licence should not be revoked for violating guidelines on pricing plan for Direct-To-Home operators.

Highly placed sources in the Information and Broadcasting Ministry said the broadcaster, which has three channels-- ESPN, Start Sports and Star Cricket-- has been given 15 days time to respond.

When contacted, ESPN India officials declined to comment. The sources said the decision comes in the wake of TRAI recommendation to the ministry seeking suspension of the sport broadcaster's downlinking licence over the issue.

"TRAI had issued certain directive over pricing of channels offered to DTH operators. The company did not adhere to the norms laid down by the government, which led to the issue of the notice," sources added.

TRAI had even moved the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate against ESPN for non-compliance of its directives. A city court today issued summons to the top officials of the company to appear before it on November 27.

The broadcast regulator had filed a case last month seeking prosecution of sports broadcaster ESPN for non-compliance of its direction on pricing plan for Direct-To-Home operators.

Govt issues notice to ESPN for DTH pricing norm violation- Media-Media / Entertainment -News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

trai has regulations for pricing of channels on dth? i had no clue.

trai has regulations for pricing of channels on dth? i had no clue.

Yes, norms. Not actual prices. The broadcaster has to submit individual prices, bouquet prices (total must be less the sum of parts), price for dth operator must be half charged to cables. I am not sure about the ceiling on max price.

I hope govt forces ESS to bring down their price by which customers will benefit:thumbsup:

If all customers are stop subscribing the channels, then ESS will automatically drop their prices. Its all in customer's hands, Customer can do anything which cannot be done by Trai.

If all customers stop watching the pay channels then all pay channels will be free......so its all up in the customers hand for some time not to view any pay channels then automatically the pay channels will be free and we can see those channels in local cable itself......:thumb:

If all customers are stop subscribing the channels, then ESS will automatically drop their prices. Its all in customer's hands, Customer can do anything which cannot be done by Trai.

And getting customers together to do something together is real pain in arse. And this is where service provider wins.

yep, we cant get together for small cablewala, its impossible to get together against giant broadcaster.

yep. any decrease in price wud mostly be pocketed by DTH provider.

Let the verdict come but i think if the cost come down then i think TS might reduce the price if ESS decrease their price ..............

Let the verdict come but i think if the cost come down then i think TS might reduce the price if ESS decrease their price ..............

This wud not happen even if espn reduce their price

Just came to know that DTH price for ESS - Rs. 44.18 and Star cricket - Rs.28..........put together it comes to Rs. 72.18 but TS customer needs to pay Rs. 40 only from Oct - 1st........:thumb: