Gotta buy a new phone

• Thread starter Thread starter nipun_mohta
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 8,580
There's a couple of Nokia's that fit the criteria: N900, N97, N97 Mini and C6-00...

The problem with Nokia is that they are stuck with Symbian OS, while all other major handset producers are using different OS like Windows & Android.Android is promising with lots of development happening there and also its got 1000s of Apps which Symbian/Nokia lacking behind. If OS is not a concern, then Nokia N900 suits the requirement 🙂

well, OS is a concern and also N900 doesn't support java, so won't it be a problem in getting apps?

Nokia is not going to officially release meego for n900. but it would be released by third party developers 😀 that's the beauty of open source platforms. as for apps. i think they do have an apps for for n900. and plus since it is a linux phone there is plenty of development going on... of course, if nokia had decided to release meego for n900, it would still have been an excellent purchase. but as it stands now, you gamble a bit buying it now at least at the price they are charging for it.

The problem with Nokia is that they are stuck with Symbian OS, while all other major handset producers are using different OS like Windows & Android.
Android is promising with lots of development happening there and also its got 1000s of Apps which Symbian/Nokia lacking behind.

If OS is not a concern, then Nokia N900 suits the requirement 🙂

well, OS is a concern and also N900 doesn't support java, so won't it be a problem in getting apps?

If OS is a concern, put Maemo on it. While Nokia is "stuck" with Symbian, it does have a wide variety of apps, many of which are free and half decent, and it's also usually the first to get new features in apps.

Video calling with Fring on Symbian versus other devices was a prime example of a multi-platform app being given the best features first... that is before Skype pulled the plug on Fring's access to Skype's API thanks not to the Symbian version, but to the ****ing iPhone version.

Although you can still do video calling with fring-fring for free, just using GPRS data, presuming you're on a 3G network. Even Skype's own Symbian and iPhone apps don't have video calling as far as I recall - although the Skype app on Symbian is relatively pretty, that's pretty much all it has going for it.

Fring/Nimbuzz best features of course is multi-client connectivity, so I can use Yahoo, MSN, GTalk, ICQ etc (with Nimbuzz having even more options, including connecting to my Gizmo5 account).

I would move over to Nimbuzz but now my main purpose for having Skype on my cell has practically been eliminated by FringOut (released only in the last few days), which gives me about 900 minutes of talktime to India for 10EUR - even Skype's best India calling plan isn't that cheap.

But that's just one example. I've also got Nimbuzz, Opera, Push Email (Blackberry's major selling point but I have for free with Nokia Messaging Suite, and I don't have to buy a Blackberry plan to use it), Google Maps, PuTTy, a PDF reader, various applications for travelling (to find restaurants and stuff) and Snaptu for Twitter/Facebook... as well as an app that updates my phone's location every 5 minutes so if it's stolen, I can track the guy down and kick his ass (although this is also available on iPhone - and this is assuming of course that the other app that uses the proximity sensor in the phone doesn't activate for some reason and I don't hear the alarm go off within 2-3 seconds of him removing it from my person).

For compatibility alone, it's relatively difficult to beat Symbian, which has its pros and cons. And yes, I can run Java and Python apps on my phone too.

---------- Post added at 03:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

nokia is not going to officially release meego for n900. but it would be released by third party developers 😀

that's the beauty of open source platforms.

as for apps. i think they do have an apps for for n900. and plus since it is a linux phone there is plenty of development going on...

of course, if nokia had decided to release meego for n900, it would still have been an excellent purchase. but as it stands now, you gamble a bit buying it now at least at the price they are charging for it.

If he eliminated the QWERTY keyboard and just went for a touchscreen phone, I'd suggest the 5800, n97, n97 mini or something like that because of the above mentioned points. I've had battery problems yes, but they can be replaced, and otherwise the software is quite good. Plus I've installed SWYPE on my phone and I can knock out a full 160char SMS in a matter of seconds.

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM ----------

And of course, obtaining full QWERTY involves turning the phone 90 degrees and voila, QWERTY keyboard.

Stay away from Motorola phones as they are not supported well (Software Updates).Try expansys.com they ship to India and have most of the latest releases....

If OS is a concern, put Maemo on it. While Nokia is "stuck" with Symbian, it does have a wide variety of apps, many of which are free and half decent, and it's also usually the first to get new features in apps.

You have put lots of +ve's of Nokia, and I agree with it, and so had purchased N95 2 years ago. But today I feel it lacks many things which iPhone or Android phones provide. I can get some of features but have to install Apps which takes lots of memory and slows down my handset. I also have installed Nimbuzz/Fring/Snaptu, but again most of these apps are 3rd party apps, I would have loved to see integrated apps developed for my phone (e.g. integrated Facebook app which is available for many phone, but my doesn't).
Anyways my phone is 2 years old and technology changes after every 3 months, so I would lack behind 😀
We just have to be sure that OP gets the right phone he/she wants so dont have to regret for any missing feature/app 🙂

Nokia has been using shitty hardware in most of their n-series devices. processors which are less than 500MHz... laughable RAM. only now they are realizing that they cannot continue to do it anymore. N8 has a pretty incredible hardware but symbian is going to make it a rather average seller.

Its now end of October and many new Smart Phones have been launched or planned for launch. I need to get a new SP with a budget of 17K and it should be Android2.1 with decent camera and Video Recorder-Player and possibly 4G enabled. Battery life needs to be large since I am on the go most of the day and evening. Could 'admin' or some one suggest: brand, model, specs. cost?

i enquired about htc legend few days back and it costs 22k in lokhandwala complex andheri west so im still waiting for the prices to come down btw my budget is 18k.