• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 4,717

powerontop

Regular
ISP
MTNL
Hi Friends,
Continuing with my quest to connect using Triband. I FINALLY got my Triband ADSL Modem. Now here is the progress in Timeline format.

3:15: Lineman comes to fixthe modem. Like I said in my previous mail https://broadband.forum/index.php?showtopic=2290 titled "No triband connection even after one month", The lineman wanted me to fork money for nothing and he says "Sahab, Nay Wiring karna padenga paisa...."

Around 4:00-4:30: My connection is setup, BUT I am not able to connect to the Web. I tried on Windows XP assuming it wud be simplest to get started on then wud do it myself on Linux. The Lineman obviously knew nothing about Computers. I asked him is the account activiated from Prabhadevi Main Center He replied "Pata Nahi, hum to sirf line lagate hai yeh kamputer bamputer hamko malum nahi".

No matter hom much I try, I just cannot connect my PC to the router. Just for ur info. The power light on the modem is stable, Status is blinking, ADSL, Ethernet is also Stable. I field compliant on 1504 twice said someone will get back but noone did.

Around 7:00: Got an idea, maybe DHCP Client is not active. I started it and got connection to Router. IPConfig says eth0 has so and so IP, Lease Start time etc etc.

Wow, that means I should be able to surf. But wait how can I be so lucky. I am still unable to get online though all lights on modem are proper.

Now my question is, unlike the D-Link claim on their Modem box for Plug and play connectivity, Do we have to run some Setup etc for going online?

What could be the problem. What are the setting required for Mumbai. Now that I have come uptil here. Please help me jump the last leap to Nirvana.

I have tried setting my username/password in modem to my telno and CA no. I also tried running the setup wizard and selected connection type PPPoe/PPPoA etc. But still no vain.

My second query is My firmware on the modem is V2.00B01T01.DI.20050121. Is this the latest Firmware with issues fixed. Should I return my hard earned modem to ask for some different one.

Please guide.

1) Ur firmware is not the latest one.this is the V2.00B01T01.ML.20050530 latest one.2) try loging to register.mtnl.net.in with wateever conection ur using right now. there try to login with ur username n pass . if u successfully login then ur account is activated or else it is not try calling mtnl again 😛3) if ye login than go to dos run---> cmdthere tyoe this 'ping 192.168.1.1'if ur returned with data then ur connection is proper if not then4) go to network connection there put ip as 192.168.1.1submask as 255.255.255.0dns as 203.94.227.70

Hi Akash,
Thanks for replying my comments inline.
Originally posted by akash@Aug 31 2005, 08:01 PM
1) Ur firmware is not the latest one.
this is the V2.00B01T01.ML.20050530  latest one.

Yahooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Dude u know what. My luck took a tumble today as everyday and guess what happened. For one week I am waiting for Triband to work(Got modem on monday). Today morning, my modem conked off :angry: I called up 1504 and was in queue forever. Called up many other phone nos given to me but no avail. Got very angry and went to MTNL with my modem. I don't remember who but someone on this forum had advised talking to MTNL guys firmly in such cases and phones won't help. Did the same and got a new modem. The modem is currently not configured properly it is currently showing PVC as pvc1, ATM section on Status tab shows connection type as "bridged" and has no IP Addresses in any but Status is shown as Connected. If I change to pvc0 then ATM on the Status tab shows connection type "pppoe", but status as disconnected. Logs show PAP authentication failed, disconnecting, invalid PPPoe packet received blah blah. In both cases(bridged, pppoe), no internet access
Ok now here was the Blessing in Disguise. The new modem is "of the same firmware version u mentioned"!!!!!!!!!! The label below says "Firmware Updated on 30th May 2005" and the version is V2.00B01T01.ML.20050530 Hurray 🙂 Lots of good settings are there in it. But still unable to connect 🙁. All lights show as proper but the Web Interface shows no IP Address. Least I care only if I can connect o the web. But the search is still on. If anyone or their engineer friends remembers some "Jadui (Magical)" setting please do let me know.

Originally posted by akash@Aug 31 2005, 08:01 PM
2) try loging to register.mtnl.net.in with wateever conection ur using right now.
there try to login with ur username n pass .
if u successfully login then ur account is activated or else it is not try calling mtnl again 😛

Unfortunately "Register or Renew" link is not working 🙁((((((((((. Jus trying to log with my tel no and ca no does not work.

Originally posted by akash+Aug 31 2005, 08:01 PM-->QUOTE(akash @ Aug 31 2005, 08:01 PM)
3) if ye login than go to dos run---> cmd
there tyoe this 'ping 192.168.1.1'
if ur returned with data then ur connection is proper if not then
[/b]

Ping to router works. But no connection to web.

as u told beforethat u cannot log to register.mtnl.net.inso ur triband is not activated frm mtnl side192.168.1.1 is the local ip ie lanin my old router my win xp i had to configure manually but after ward i reinstalled the xp due to virus it worked apneaap no setting needed.

Originally posted by akash@Sep 1 2005, 11:49 PM
as u told before
that u cannot log to register.mtnl.net.in
so ur triband is not activated frm mtnl side

192.168.1.1 is the local ip ie lan
in my old router my win xp i had to configure manually but after ward i reinstalled the xp due to virus it worked apneaap no setting needed.
[snapback]23860[/snapback]
[/quote]

WooooooooooooHooooooooooooooooooo!!! Finally managed to get my Triband account activated. Today I personally went to meet the DGM since these people were not helping me go online for the past 2 weeks since modem was installed. Due to some problem in MTNL, these crooks lost my Workorder and each dept. was putting blame on the other that they have already sent it to the other dept etc. I was persistent and thus got them create the account for me NOW. I verified by logging in via Modem at their place. Works!. Checked register.mtnl.net.in and shows the details.
Hope it works at home too 🙂

Thanks everyone who helped me(Directly/Indirectly) in these 2 months by guiding me.

Thanks.
PS: Do not log in tonight on ur Triband from today. You all know why 🙂

PS: Do not log in tonight on ur Triband from today. You all know why[/b]

Maybe i missed something.. But y ??

Originally posted by delhiboy1000@Sep 6 2005, 07:19 PM
Maybe i missed something.. But y ??
[snapback]24192[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pun Intended. Couldn't control my happiness after a verrrrrrrrry hard 2 months of struggle.

One more stupid question I would like to ask is how do u guys 'off' the router. Coming from a Dialup modem usage for years until today!. I am used to "switching" off the modem via a switch but obviously the D-Link 502T does not have one. Now it being a router, having a computer running an OS(I think its linux) in it, it becomes natural for a "clean" shutdown but can't do it since there is no switch.

So I wanted to know if u guys follow some proper shutdown process. I am currently either switching off the switch on the Spikeguard on PC Shutdown or for rebooting the router or in situations when I want to start my PC but not the modem, I simply pull out the power cord of the modem even if it is on.

So whats a good way or is my the way uall too follow.

Thanks.

dude congs on ur conn.FInallyi keep my pc on i just take adapter of the router frm the spike guardafter 5-10 sec i again put it back.or if i feel lazy to getup frm the chair i just take the phone ka wire frm the router n put it back after 25-30 secboth the method works as ur login session is cut

Once again congrats "powerontop" for ur DSL connection........ 😛 Mate, according to me u want to know the following: 1. Wht is the exact procedure to switch off ur DSL modem?2. Wht to do if u want to use the PC but not ur modem? 3. How to close a current Internet session?For first, assuming tht u are using a UPS (in case not using, u shud), just unplug the power adapter of the DSL Modem from it. The advantage of plugging the Modem in the UPS socket is obvious. In case of a power failure (tht is quite a lot in Delhi), we get some time to close our critical Internet related work, as the modem keeps working thru the UPS backup. For second, before booting the computer, do not insert the power adapter of ur DSL modem in the UPS or u can also unplug the power cable from the DSL modem. Both ways are OK. For third, just unplug the DSL cable from the modem wait for "ADSL" light to go dark (completely dark, not blinking) and re-insert the cable.Hope I made myself clear.... 😀 Enjoy ur brand new DSL connection mate.....GUD LUCK 🙂

Originally posted by coolbuddy_79@Sep 7 2005, 04:01 AM
unplugging the power cord from behind the router works for me 😀
[snapback]24203[/snapback]
[/quote]

dude avoid this cause this might screw ur router